JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Rear driveshaft snapped (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/rear-driveshaft-snapped-1448949/)

wildwapiti 12-11-2012 04:34 PM

Transfer case shaft snapped

2 Attachment(s)
Driving at about 40mph this morning, shifted into 4th, and "BONK", my rear driveshaft flopped out. Now it looks like this (driveshaft and T-Case). What do I need to do? If I remove the rear retainer and buy a new rear DS, will that solve my woes?

Thanks friends!

rchase559 12-11-2012 04:44 PM

Looks like you snapped the main shaft of the transfer case...

Time for a new transfer case or a SYE that replaces the entire shaft.

wildwapiti 12-11-2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rchase559 (Post 14592395)
Looks like you snapped the main shaft of the transfer case...

Time for a new transfer case or a SYE that replaces the entire shaft.

Yikes! and how could that have snapped? Improper shifting into 4wd? I am not familiar with SYE's or this style of T-Case coming from a WJ previously. So what snapped is not part of the DS, but part of the T-Case itself? I can't afford a SYE at this moment. If i purchase a junkyard t-case, will I be able to use the existing DS? It looks like the shaft that broke slides into the DS.. Is that large metal ring on the end of the DS boot part of the Tcase?

rchase559 12-11-2012 05:06 PM

Your guess is as good as mine as to how it broke but I don't think it could occur from improper shifting. It appears to me that you snapped the main shaft that is very much an integral part of the transfer case. Under that boot there is a slip yoke that rides on the main shaft of the t-case. The main shaft can be seen on the backside of the balancer.

You could probably find someone who has put in a SYE and has their old parts for sale cheap or to give away. The drive shaft may or may not be good. It depends if anything bent when it was whipping around at 40MPH

liredneck 12-11-2012 05:10 PM

I got my old ds , it's completely new with all new yokes and ujoints . Ran it for 200 miles just to get home from the trail after I snapped my old one and them pulled it and did the sye dc shaft right after . If I can find my old tcase parts I'll sell YIU the new shaft and tcase parts cheap . It's for a 6cyl 5 SPd

JeepnBlake 12-11-2012 05:16 PM

I would definitely try and figure out why exactly it broke. That will be your first clue as to what to do next.

wildwapiti 12-11-2012 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rchase559 (Post 14592563)
Your guess is as good as mine as to how it broke but I don't think it could occur from improper shifting. It appears to me that you snapped the main shaft that is very much an integral part of the transfer case. Under that boot there is a slip yoke that rides on the main shaft of the t-case. The main shaft can be seen on the backside of the balancer.

You could probably find someone who has put in a SYE and has their old parts for sale cheap or to give away. The drive shaft may or may not be good. It depends if anything bent when it was whipping around at 40MPH

The balancer is the large metal disc that "hides" where the DS and T-case shaft slip into each other, butting up against the boot? DS definitely needs new ujoints, but the shaft itself seems straight. It pretty much fell right out, not a whole lot of whipping.

wildwapiti 12-11-2012 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liredneck (Post 14592584)
I got my old ds , it's completely new with all new yokes and ujoints . Ran it for 200 miles just to get home from the trail after I snapped my old one and them pulled it and did the sye dc shaft right after . If I can find my old tcase parts I'll sell YIU the new shaft and tcase parts cheap . It's for a 6cyl 5 SPd

I don't think I need the DS friend, as I have extra ujoints and yokes I can use to replace. But the T-Case sounds good as an option if you can find it!

wildwapiti 12-11-2012 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepnBlake (Post 14592633)
I would definitely try and figure out why exactly it broke. That will be your first clue as to what to do next.

How would I go about that? T-Case disassemble?

2006_Sport 12-11-2012 05:23 PM

clutch dump from 5k rpm? LOL.

This is the first time I've seen this happen.

wildwapiti 12-11-2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2006_Sport (Post 14592696)
clutch dump from 5k rpm? LOL.

This is the first time I've seen this happen.

No way. I shift like the breeze. I feel better that you haven't seen this. Or do I...

rchase559 12-11-2012 05:31 PM

Did you have any drive line vibes?

wildwapiti 12-11-2012 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rchase559 (Post 14592759)
Did you have any drive line vibes?

No more than usual haha

2006_Sport 12-11-2012 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildwapiti (Post 14592791)
No more than usual haha

did you have driveline vibes caused by your lift height?

wildwapiti 12-11-2012 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2006_Sport (Post 14592796)
did you have driveline vibes caused by your lift height?

I bought the vehicle lifted, so I guess there's no way of telling if the vibes were due to the lift or not (although what else would they be from?), but no they were not excessive. And there was not an increase in them recently.

The time now is 12:06 PM.