Rear driver side not fully drooping - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear driver side not fully drooping

Swag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear BumperAll Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Iron Rock Offroad products - get them from Kolak!

Unread 04-12-2015, 07:30 PM   #1
vinsanity
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Rear driver side not fully drooping

I just removed a 1" spacer on my TC and installed adjustable CAs in the back. Rock Krawler uppers (free can't complain) and Currie lowers (even more epic than expected ).

Now the driver side doesn't fully droop. It now stops ~1.5-2" before my shock is fully extended. From the spring perch to bump stop it's like ~1.5." The CA ends are all JJ or similar and they don't look bound up. Not sure what I'm looking for.

Here are a copy pics. The jack is to lift the passenger side up to where the shock would have stopped it, but it will happily droop another 1"+. Thoughts? (sorry the lighting made one pic pretty dark.)

img_20150412_173451-s.jpg   img_20150412_173534-s.jpg   img_20150412_173723-s.jpg  
vinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2015, 08:21 PM   #2
3X4X4
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Is your track bar binding. When I had the same issue replacing the track bar with a Currie and slanted bracket remedied the binding allowing full droop.
3X4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2015, 09:13 PM   #3
vinsanity
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Don't think so. Looks like it has a little rotation left in it. The PO installed what looks like a Rough Country track bar.
img_20150412_195652-s.jpg  
Unread 04-12-2015, 09:47 PM   #4
speed-racer
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Your track bar is pulling the axle to one side, binding due to slight triangulation in the factory 4 link.
speed-racer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2015, 10:14 PM   #5
vinsanity
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like the length of the track bar is preventing it from dropping any further. If it was 3/4" longer it would let the axle drop to the bottom of the shocks. Does this qualify as "binding?" (I'm not actually sure what TB binding is. )

I'll give this thread a go and see where it should be, since I wasn't the one who installed it. I'm waiting for a Savvy GTS in 2 weeks, so I won't be on the wheels for a little while.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tr...tment-1062325/

It says that being a little off is ok. Is 3/4" considered "a little?" is it cool if I extend it, see if it hits anything badly at full tuck, and if it doesn't, just call it a day.
Unread 04-13-2015, 06:29 AM   #6
speed-racer
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Longer will help, but also shift your axle off center assuming it is centered the way you have it now. Relocating the track bar higher at the axle end will also help by allowing the axle to drop further for the same track bar angle. Do you have a relocation bracket? Looks like you need an angled bracket anyways.
Unread 04-13-2015, 04:38 PM   #7
vinsanity
1997 TJ Wrangler 

What is the value of the angle at the top of a standard relocation bracket? I have a ball-style (?) end on the track bar that seems to be handling the rotation.

It's an 8.8 with a custom bracket welded on, so I'll have to fab some thing up in order to add a top angle. I'm going to drill a new hole a little higher on the existing bracket, but there isn't much room up at the floor attach another adapter.
Unread 04-13-2015, 07:34 PM   #8
speed-racer
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Will help with clearance to the gas tank skid. But you're correct, with that joint there isn't a benefit otherwise. Lowering the frame side would have the same effect, but there are other geometry related benefits to raising the axle end if you can. One would be a higher roll center height. If it were me, I'd do a little fab work to relocate the best you can or just deal with the limited down travel. Its tough to get the drivers side worked out with a lift, stock suspension links, and a stock location track bar.
Unread 04-13-2015, 07:51 PM   #9
88hatchy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

This is really common and not an issue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.