Rear Drive Shaft - Dana 44 Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear Drive Shaft - Dana 44 Questions

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 09-13-2013, 01:12 AM   #1
wkabay

Rear Drive Shaft - Dana 44 Questions

I took the rear drive shaft off my 2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara and my part# is 52098787AC and the Dana part# is 920407-0709G. I have attached picture looking down the slip yoke.

My first question is has anyone seen a keyed drive shaft? It looks like mine is machine keyed.
Also, I was wondering if this drive shaft would fit on a 1997 Jeep Wrangler.

Any information would be greatly appreciated....I have searched and searched the web and have come up short.

photo-1.jpg  
wkabay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 06:55 AM   #2
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I see what you're talking about. My old (stock) DS and SY are sitting in my garage, I'll try to remember to take a look when I get home tonight.
JEK3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 10:27 PM   #3
Vinman
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I had the driveshaft on my 05 Rubicon apart a couple of weeks ago and also have the "keyed" spline in the female end just like yours. However, the male spline has no matching "key" so it will still go in any way you want it to. Of course you still have to make sure it is indexed correct.
Vinman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 10:46 PM   #4
Brimstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have a spare drive shaft in the garage right now, IIRC it came off an '02 or '03. I just checked and it is keyed like that.

As for whether it will fit a different Jeep, you need to consider the lengths of the different drive line components. I'm not sure if engine makes a difference (whether the 4.0 and 2.5 have a different placement for where the crankshaft output is in relation to the rest of the vehicle), but for sure different transmissions will have different lengths and therefore change the location of the output shaft of the transfer case. Also, different axles are different lengths, which will also have an impact on drive shaft length.

I know this for a fact. The reason I have a spare drive shaft is because I have a D44 axle I will swapping into my Jeep in place of my D35. My current driveline is 4.0L engine, NV3550 tranny, and NP231 transfer case. Knowing that the D44 housing is longer than the D35 housing, I got my spare drive shaft from another TJ with exactly the same driveline, except it had a D44 from the factory. Consequently, the spare drive shaft is 1" shorter than the factory one in my Jeep.
Brimstone is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2013, 09:59 AM   #5
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinman View Post
I had the driveshaft on my 05 Rubicon apart a couple of weeks ago and also have the "keyed" spline in the female end just like yours. However, the male spline has no matching "key" so it will still go in any way you want it to. Of course you still have to make sure it is indexed correct.
I just looked at mine (take-offs from SYE install), and it matches this.
JEK3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.