JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Rear Drive Shaft - Dana 44 Questions (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/rear-drive-shaft-dana-44-questions-1581017/)

wkabay 09-13-2013 12:12 AM

Rear Drive Shaft - Dana 44 Questions

1 Attachment(s)
I took the rear drive shaft off my 2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara and my part# is 52098787AC and the Dana part# is 920407-0709G. I have attached picture looking down the slip yoke.

My first question is has anyone seen a keyed drive shaft? It looks like mine is machine keyed.
Also, I was wondering if this drive shaft would fit on a 1997 Jeep Wrangler.

Any information would be greatly appreciated....I have searched and searched the web and have come up short.

JEK3 09-13-2013 05:55 AM

I see what you're talking about. My old (stock) DS and SY are sitting in my garage, I'll try to remember to take a look when I get home tonight.

Vinman 09-13-2013 09:27 PM

I had the driveshaft on my 05 Rubicon apart a couple of weeks ago and also have the "keyed" spline in the female end just like yours. However, the male spline has no matching "key" so it will still go in any way you want it to. Of course you still have to make sure it is indexed correct.

Brimstone 09-13-2013 09:46 PM

I have a spare drive shaft in the garage right now, IIRC it came off an '02 or '03. I just checked and it is keyed like that.

As for whether it will fit a different Jeep, you need to consider the lengths of the different drive line components. I'm not sure if engine makes a difference (whether the 4.0 and 2.5 have a different placement for where the crankshaft output is in relation to the rest of the vehicle), but for sure different transmissions will have different lengths and therefore change the location of the output shaft of the transfer case. Also, different axles are different lengths, which will also have an impact on drive shaft length.

I know this for a fact. The reason I have a spare drive shaft is because I have a D44 axle I will swapping into my Jeep in place of my D35. My current driveline is 4.0L engine, NV3550 tranny, and NP231 transfer case. Knowing that the D44 housing is longer than the D35 housing, I got my spare drive shaft from another TJ with exactly the same driveline, except it had a D44 from the factory. Consequently, the spare drive shaft is 1" shorter than the factory one in my Jeep.

JEK3 09-14-2013 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinman (Post 15988985)
I had the driveshaft on my 05 Rubicon apart a couple of weeks ago and also have the "keyed" spline in the female end just like yours. However, the male spline has no matching "key" so it will still go in any way you want it to. Of course you still have to make sure it is indexed correct.

I just looked at mine (take-offs from SYE install), and it matches this.

The time now is 05:57 PM.