Rear differential shim - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear differential shim

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-07-2014, 09:10 PM   #1
dguillet
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Rear differential shim

How to I check to make sure I shim the rear differential properly?/ Does anyone have or know of a manual or guide to do it properly?

dguillet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2014, 10:30 PM   #2
willis36

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you are having to ask this question, you might want to take it to a driveline or 4x4 shop. What are you trying to do?
willis36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2014, 02:31 AM   #3
FarmerinVA
Just a flatlander

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Check out my install thread (you'll see it in my signature if you view this on a real computer). You need some specialized tools including a dial caliper, plus you need to know some specs. The FSM tells you most of what you need to know. A novice can do it but it will be slow going.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ex...hafts-1234745/
FarmerinVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2014, 08:22 AM   #4
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Are you talking about shims inside the diff when doing gear setup? In which case, the answers you have already are fair. Or are you thinking shimming of the axle to properly orient the pinion? If that is what you are thinking, you don't have leaf springs. With a coil sprung vehicle you need adjustable control arms to set the pinion angle.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.