Rear corner armor install questions... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear corner armor install questions...

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 02-29-2008, 04:50 PM   #1
XJeffro
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Rear corner armor install questions...

Hello friends,
I am going to install my corner armor tomorrow, and I was wondering if I should use some kind of silicone or sealant on the inside (body side) of the corners. I saw a picture that someone put some silicone on the backside similar to the way you would put RTV on your diff covers. I also heard of duct tape on the inside to prevent rubbing. What did some of you do?

Also, is there anything I can do to prevent the holes that I am drilling in the body from rusting? Should I coat the holes with rustoleum paint before installing? Any ideas or suggestions would be great. Thanks!
Jeff

Silver 2005 Rocky Mountain Edition TJ, D44, 33" MT MTZ black steelies, 3" BDS Lift, BDS Ultimate Discos, Air horn, Hella 500s mounted on windshield w/KC mounts, Xenon 6" sport flares, Fabtech Rear Corners

LETS GO PENS!

HERE WE GO STEELERS!!
XJeffro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2008, 04:52 PM   #2
Crashnburn80
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The mopar corner guards I have came with a rubber gasket that goes around the top 3 sides of the guard, the bottom remains open.

Yes, you should paint your drilled holes to prevent rust.

OME ZJ/LJ combo | SwayLOC | 1.25" BL | Nth TT | Riddler diff covers | EMP gastank skid | 33" MTRs | Warn M8000 | Cobra75
and much more...

Riddler torture test video
Oil Filter Study
Useful Axle Info Thread
Crashnburn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2008, 05:19 PM   #3
JJs99TJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I put on my Rokmen corners about a year ago, didnt use anything
behind them. I just took them off to repaint them last weekend and
had no signs of rust forming. I did paint the holes with a clear coat
spray to prevent rusting there
JJs99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2008, 10:31 PM   #4
04TJ Dogg
2008 JK Wrangler 

I am going to try and get my psc corners on tomorrow and I bought some double sided tape to stick between the body and the corner to keep them from rubbing. I am going to spray the holes I drill with some spray can clearcoat to keep that from rusting.
2004 Tj X, 2.5 Skyjacker rear, OME ZJ front, 285/75 16 A/T's on moabs, Bedlined stuff, some offroad Lights, Warn 8274 w/ Warn plate, Aussie front, Truetrack rear, PSC trail corners, Pro-comp adjustable front trackbar, 1 1/8" skateboard wheel bl, Teraflex bmml----Sold

2008 JKU X TF Leveling kit
04TJ Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2008, 10:37 PM   #5
RYANSTULC
1998 TJ Wrangler 

My heep had a mangled corner panel to begin with,,,so when I installed my PSC corner guards, I did nothing.
It was already banged up pretty good. I couldn't have gotten a good seal with any "common" material. So I did nothing. If it rusts, I won't be surprised. I'll fix that problem when I do my comp-cut.
But to answer your question,,,yes you can do a number of things. Alot of people apply a silicone bead to seal out moisture. Some apply a double-sided foam backing.
I don't think either are entirely necessary. Your corner protection is bolted solid, and won't move seperately from the tub.
My .02
RYANSTULC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2008, 10:44 PM   #6
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I used the PSC TJ corners on my YJ. I clamped them on and taped around them, then used a green 3M scuff pad lightly on the surface and hit the corners with some Duplicolor spray on bed liner in the aerosol type can from Wal-Mart.

You can kinda see it here...

timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2008, 07:18 AM   #7
Jim Holmes
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I installed my Poison Spyder Trail Corners last year. When you drill the holes, spray them with rustoleum, then I would also use a little rubber sealant when you bolt them on so that the freshly painted rustoleum does not have a chance to rub off and start rusting. Also, run a bead along the top and bottom to fill any gaps between the body and the corners. I initially did not use sealant on the bolts, and wish I would have, I had a little rust forming this winter so I had to pull them off, sanded, sprayed with rustoleum and reinstalled the right way this time.

I would not worry about puttin sealant or duct tape on the body. As long as you have a friend helping, you should be able to get a nice tight fit to the body when installing and then seal around the contact points.
Good Luck
Jim Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2011, 09:15 PM   #8
bradentaala
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'm facing the same question. When i did my rockerguards i only used some clear coat over the drilled holes to prevent rusting, but didn't use any silicone or sealant. I'm worried if i use sealant on my full corners i'm installing next week, it will trap moisture IN if there is a small spot that doesn't seal fully. I think i'm going to just bolt mine on without the sealant, how i did on my rockers.....

the question i'm really fighting is if i should match the color of my jeep, or go black...
'00 TJ, 14" coilovers, teraflex speedbumps, double triangulated 4 link, 3 link, D60, 14 bolt, 42" Kevlars, 17" walker evans beadlocks, high lines, 104" wb, atlas 4 (11.7:1), hydro assist steering, hydro boost brakes, belly up, Corbeau CR1 w/5pt harness.

bradentaala is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2011, 10:55 PM   #9
athos76
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I was looking at the rockers from Off your Rocker... Since I'm in aviation, we have this great sealant called PRC readily available. Cures black and doesn't leave a nasty film behind like silicon does. I plan on sealing the top and sides and all the bolt holes with the stuff.
Unread 03-02-2011, 07:18 AM   #10
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I used the Tough Stuff gasket guard like I used behind my rockers. I had to apply it in 'rows' on the back of the armor, but it worked great.
Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2011, 04:46 PM   #11
RubiconRazorbac
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by athos76 View Post
I was looking at the rockers from Off your Rocker... Since I'm in aviation, we have this great sealant called PRC readily available. Cures black and doesn't leave a nasty film behind like silicon does. I plan on sealing the top and sides and all the bolt holes with the stuff.
Either seal all the way around or don't seal at all. Leaving the bottom open will trap moisture and there'll be limited circulation to dry which will be ripe for rust to start. Capillary action will draw moisture in that area no matter what.

Hold 2 panes of glass together, place a drop of water on the table, and touch the bottom of the glass to the drop. The water will draw right up in between the panes. Same thing will happen between your corners and tub. If the rest is sealed off, you don't get the circulation in that area and the moisture stays.

Good luck.
My build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ru...thread-792423/
RubiconRazorbac is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.