Rear bumper, under the frame bolt snapped. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear bumper, under the frame bolt snapped.

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsEnd of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 08-09-2009, 07:35 AM   #1
vtx531
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Rear bumper, under the frame bolt snapped.

Stupid thing twisted off when I was trying to remove my rear bumper to repaint it. So I tried drilling it out and using and "easy" out. (those things never work for me) Ofcourse it didn't work so I tried tapping the new hole. Then the Fing tap broke off in the hole. So now I guess that hole is pretty much useless now.

Options I have thought about:

1. Just using a bolt on frame tie-in kit.

2. Welding in a similar frame tie in kit (this is what I'm leaning towards right now.

3. Cut off the whole cross member and replace the thing with a new thicker/stronger cross member so I don't need a frame tie-in.

Has anybody had to do something like this? Any other ideas?

Here's an old pic of my bumper:

MY JEEP
vtx531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2009, 10:22 AM   #2
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Are the holes plugged?Drill it out with a carbide bit and use a self tapping bolt.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2009, 01:56 PM   #3
stwilson74

2005 LJ Wrangler 

If you stll have something in there, spray the snot out of it with PB Blaster every two hours for a day, let it soak in there real well, and THEN try using an easy out.

If the remains are already out and the threads are screwed then go grab a heli coil for it, they work really well. kit comes with a drill bit, a tap, a coil install tool, and the coil itself.

In the future start spraying down your bolts with PB Blaster 2 days before you want to pull it apart for stuff like this where it was planned maintenance, obviously when your stuck with doing a break-fix you gotta work with the time you have.
"Betsy" 2005 Unlimited Rubicon Sahara Edition #603 of 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
I like having my panties in a wad though, because when I get DW they rub me in just the right way! :D Wadded panties plus DW equals Jeepgasm! :D :kiss:
stwilson74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2009, 03:12 PM   #4
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Taps are very hard and brittle, you can use this to your advantage, take a BFH and a punch and break the tap up. Then try again very slowly and use a cutting fluid of some kind. Tapping a hole takes alot of feel, if you get resistance to the point you know it's gonna break turn it back...clean the tap, lube it , try again.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2009, 05:33 PM   #5
vtx531
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushaw View Post
Taps are very hard and brittle, you can use this to your advantage, take a BFH and a punch and break the tap up. Then try again very slowly and use a cutting fluid of some kind. Tapping a hole takes alot of feel, if you get resistance to the point you know it's gonna break turn it back...clean the tap, lube it , try again.
I took an air chisel to it with a pointed tip thinking I could dislodge it but no dice...and it didn't break. Maybe I can try heating the outside part with a torch and air chiseling it.

Right now I have a bolt drilled out with a tap stuck inside it.

MY JEEP
Unread 08-09-2009, 05:44 PM   #6
stwilson74

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtx531 View Post
I took an air chisel to it with a pointed tip thinking I could dislodge it but no dice...and it didn't break. Maybe I can try heating the outside part with a torch and air chiseling it.

Right now I have a bolt drilled out with a tap stuck inside it.
I would still load it up with pb blaster... heat might help and as long as you dont set fire to anything it cant hurt...
Wushaw did make a good point about how brittle taps are but with it being inside a bolt there is nowhere for the material to deflect to allowing it to shatter... your gonna need to get a 3 pound mini sledge and really take out some feelings of malice and discontent to get it to shatter but it might work. drilling out the center with a fairly small bit and then using a hammer and punch working from the outside toward the center might increase th chances of it working.
"Betsy" 2005 Unlimited Rubicon Sahara Edition #603 of 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
I like having my panties in a wad though, because when I get DW they rub me in just the right way! :D Wadded panties plus DW equals Jeepgasm! :D :kiss:
stwilson74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2009, 07:44 PM   #7
vtx531
2002 TJ Wrangler 

FIXED!!!

I air chiseled the hell out of it. It cracked in half but it still took forever to get the thing unwedged out of there. Then the welded nut was half broke off, so I used the 3lb sledge and a big punch to move the nut back and forth until it stressed and broke off completely. After that, I got a new nut, electrical taped it to a coat hangar so I could stick it in the frame and I carefully threaded a new bolt into it and cinched it up. Then I drilled a 3/8" hole in the side of the frame, big enough to get a welding rod in there and weld the nut. Good as new and I'm a happy guy cause my bumper is ready to be used this weekend as I'm going offroad for the first time in a LOOONG time.

MY JEEP
Unread 08-10-2009, 10:48 PM   #8
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

See..... brute force does work
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.