Rear Bucket Seats - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear Bucket Seats

Save 15% in XT's Pre-Black Friday Event!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-20-2007, 11:16 AM   #1
lucky00

Rear Bucket Seats

I am the one year owner of a '00 Wrangler Sport and a newbie to this forum.

The Wrangler has been such a fun vehicle for our family - the kids named it "Lucky" because they feel we are lucky to have it!

I'm starting to get a little pressure from the wife about the safety of our Wrangler - particularly for our two young children (7 & 10 yrs). In an effort to improve the safety, and hopefully the length of my ownership, I have started investigating a way to put buckets seats in the back of my Wrangler to help protect during a rear end collision. I have tried searching the threads here (as well as the internet in general) and haven't come up with anything.

Can anyone comment on their experience, or what they've seen, to do this? Is it an extensive custom job, or is it a matter of having a bracket fabricated? Is there a company that markets anything equivalent? I have tried Quadratec, but no luck there.

Any ideas/suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

lucky00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2007, 11:49 AM   #2
Gumbo
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hmmm...

Hello Lucky00, welcome to the forum! I'm sort of a newbie, myself...

OK, I'm just throwing this out there...Remember the two bucket seats in the back of the old Subaru BRAT pickup? I'm not sure how wide that pair of seats would be and I can't seem to locate a pic right now. Maybe someone will post a pic and you can check them out.

I remember those as being safe enough to ride in the back of a pickup, but there may be better options for inside a Jeep.
'97 moss pearl green TJ, 4.0, 5-speed, 3" Teraflex coils +1.5" spacers, Super35 w/ Superior 30 spline shafts, ARB and ZJ disc brakes, Dana30 w/ ARB, 4:10s, AA SYE w/Teraflex shaft, BDS upper/lower control arms, Rusty's HD tie-rod, JKS quicker disco's, Poison Spyder steering box skid, Riddler diff covers, 35x12.50 MTZs on Eagle alloys, Warn M8000 winch, NoLimits4X4 stinger/rad hoop, SRC rockers, Bestop tire carrier, Raingler nets, yada yada...

It's a good life. My wife doesn't look under my Jeep and I don't count her shoe boxes...
Gumbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2007, 11:56 AM   #3
JeepRocks86
Some Call me RockDog

2003 TJ Wrangler 

You can also flip the rear seat around. Not saying it would be best, but it would help because they wouldn't be thrown forward.

You would have to do some fabrication to make every think work int here.
My TJ Build Thread.
www.kifourwheelers.com
For Sale:
TJ Rear Dana 44 shaftsfor sale
3 11"& 2 13" BBCS shocks

JeepRocks86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2007, 12:07 PM   #4
Crashnburn80
2004 TJ Wrangler 

What exactly is your concern with modfiying the seats? Is it the whiplash from not having rear headrests on the back seat?

OME ZJ/LJ combo | SwayLOC | 1.25" BL | Nth TT | Riddler diff covers | EMP gastank skid | 33" MTRs | Warn M8000 | Cobra75
and much more...

Riddler torture test video
Oil Filter Study
Useful Axle Info Thread
Crashnburn80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2007, 12:36 PM   #5
Dogman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Options in order of ease:

1.) Install a rear bench with headrests. I think the PRP goes for ~$600 IIRC. Bolt in, high quality, but expensive.

2.) Install duel buckets of any brand. Moderate cost, definitely some fab work.

3.) You could retrofit your rear bench with headrest (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=418613). Least expensive, some fab work, probably least attractive (a cover might help that).

So far I'm pursuing option #3. I have the headrests and a plan, but I need to get over to my buddies to actually start the fab work. BTW, my boys are 5 & 7 and I have the same concerns.

Good luck!

Last edited by Dogman; 05-24-2007 at 03:23 PM..
Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2007, 02:28 PM   #6
lucky00

Thanks for all the replys!

I definitely want the kids facing me.

crashandburn80 - Yes, my concern is about whiplash with the low back on the bench backseat.

dogman - I'm not familiar with the rear bench with headrests (not familiar with PRP or IIRC either). Can you give me more info?

Thanks again,
lucky00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2007, 08:43 PM   #7
Lawrence
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky00
dogman - I'm not familiar with the rear bench with headrests (not familiar with PRP or IIRC either). Can you give me more info?

Thanks again,
PRP, Mastercraft and Beard all make rear benches with headrest. They look like the Rubicon front seats.

I am talking with Sean to make a seat for the rear (he has 3 kids and build a bracket to fit 3 small seats in the back).
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...&highlight=prp
I have a 5 year old and I do not like the lack of support/headrest from the rear bench. I will be putting a single seat with harness behind the passenger seat and leave the space behind the driver seat for a storage box.

Here is another thread of a single seat from someone in NC
http://www.nc4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14499

Hope this helps
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2007, 08:59 PM   #8
JeepRocks86
Some Call me RockDog

2003 TJ Wrangler 

There's a guy in my club that has a Samuri and he has the single rear seat in the middle. He calls it the "pope seat" because it sits up a lot higher than the fronts.
My TJ Build Thread.
www.kifourwheelers.com
For Sale:
TJ Rear Dana 44 shaftsfor sale
3 11"& 2 13" BBCS shocks

JeepRocks86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2007, 09:01 PM   #9
RLD831
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I believe IIRC is If I Recall Correctly.
Unread 05-20-2007, 09:39 PM   #10
PackMan

Location: Home of the Super Bowl XLI Champion Indianapolis Colts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLD831
I believe IIRC is If I Recall Correctly.
IIRC, you are right.

I'd love to see a link to the PRP bench that fits the jeep with three kids. If it is safe, effective, etc., I'll pay the bucks for that.

My Jeep was a toy for the entire family, but an unplanned (but very welcome) 3rd child threw a wrench into that. Now we take turns.
[SIZE="1"][I]OME 2.5" (930 front, 942 rear), Daystar 3/4" front spacers, OME N66/N67 shocks, JKS adj track bars, JKS BBL, JKS BMML, really cool toddler booster seats,
Jeeperman bumpers and rockers, IPF 968, Cobra 75WX CB, sPod switches, Cheerios under the rear seat, Skid Row engine and steering box, MORE steering
shaft lift, crayon marks on the sport bar, Napa SC2928 steering stabilzer, Warn xd9000i winch, something that smells bad on the passenger side rear
fender that a child probably had something to do with, HiLift jack, a .357 Magnum S&W, and an Indianapolis Colts SBXLI World Champion window sticker. [/I][/SIZE]
PackMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2007, 09:40 PM   #11
MtnHighTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Gumbo are you kidding? The seats from a Brat? That was like 1978 and they came with handles to hold on to, not seat belts That's funny
MtnHighTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2007, 10:03 PM   #12
Dogman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
PRP makes a bench seat. You can add headrests as an option. I just checked out their site and they have updated it. They used to have a gallery with pictures of the seat.

www.prpseats.com
Unread 05-20-2007, 10:24 PM   #13
Gumbo
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnHighTJ
Gumbo are you kidding? The seats from a Brat? That was like 1978 and they came with handles to hold on to, not seat belts That's funny
Yeah, but they also had headrests, too...

Sorry, but it was the first thing that popped into my mind.
'97 moss pearl green TJ, 4.0, 5-speed, 3" Teraflex coils +1.5" spacers, Super35 w/ Superior 30 spline shafts, ARB and ZJ disc brakes, Dana30 w/ ARB, 4:10s, AA SYE w/Teraflex shaft, BDS upper/lower control arms, Rusty's HD tie-rod, JKS quicker disco's, Poison Spyder steering box skid, Riddler diff covers, 35x12.50 MTZs on Eagle alloys, Warn M8000 winch, NoLimits4X4 stinger/rad hoop, SRC rockers, Bestop tire carrier, Raingler nets, yada yada...

It's a good life. My wife doesn't look under my Jeep and I don't count her shoe boxes...
Gumbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.