Rear brake schematic - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear brake schematic

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 07-31-2010, 03:23 PM   #1
joburnet

Rear brake schematic

I'm out of town and I need to get a schematic of the rear brakes on a 97 TJ with drum brakes and no ABS. It broke so I don't have a before pictures to look at, I have my tools but no book. I've replaced shoes before without a problem, what is the process of removing and replacing the wheel cylinder? Thanks.

joburnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 10:09 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Look at the opposite side brakes as your example. The brake cylinder has the hard brake line in the back, and two mounting bolts. If the hard brake line is stuck use a vise-grip and apply some heat with a propane torch. Bleed the brakes when you are done.

brake.jpg  

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 10:11 PM   #3
jose_p_adams
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Remove the shoes first. You may be able to get away with just removing some of the springs. You just need to be able to get the shoes away from the cylinder so you can remove it.

Then remove the brake line from the back of the cylinder. Then there are 2 3/8" bolts in the area of the brake line that hold the cylinder on. The new cylinders bolt on the same way they came off. Then re-assemble and bleed the system.

I just did this today and it was a lot faster to type it.
jose_p_adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rear , brake , diagram , drum

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.