rear brake problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > rear brake problems

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-05-2004, 04:27 PM   #1
wingzero1285

rear brake problems

Ok heres the story, I have a 97 wrangler sport automatic with 61000 miles on it. One day on a slight incline (driveway was iced up) I had it parked and pulled up the emergency brake. I come out hours later and it slid down the driveway and stop once it got to a non ice area on the driveway. Now it could be the emergency brake needing adjustment but a few weeks ago I was in a normal driveway with it in drive and my foot on the brake. the jeep wasnt moving but the rear wheels were turning slightly, which were on the ice. And this morning as I left to go to school I had the jeep in reverse and the rear wheels were on ice and the front were on normal paved ground. i was stopped but i could hear the wheels turning slightly. And now im starting to put it all together, i mean the jeep brakes arent great but my seem to be only the front working. any ideas on how to tell by looking at the brakes to see what needs to be done or anyhting? input would be greatly appreciated.

-Red Jeep Club #45- -97 Jeep Club #10-

Pioneer 6800
Infinity Reference 311 Mono Sub Amp
MTX TA3404 4 Channel Amp
Infinity Reference 4x6 in the dash
Infinity Reference 6.5 in the soundbar
Infinity Kapa 10inch subwoofer

Magnaflow Cat
Flowemaster 40

Rear window duck tape special (extra 25 HP)
wingzero1285 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2004, 06:43 PM   #2
Tgoose

Have your rear brakes adjusted and see if that helps the driving part. As far as sliding down your icy driveway,if you were in park and still slid down i'd say you got one slippery driveway. I'd find somewhere else to park under those conditions.
Unread 02-05-2004, 07:38 PM   #3
wingzero1285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgoose
Have your rear brakes adjusted and see if that helps the driving part. As far as sliding down your icy driveway,if you were in park and still slid down i'd say you got one slippery driveway. I'd find somewhere else to park under those conditions.

adjusting the rear brakes, im assuming i should take it to a brake place.. there isnt much i could do myself is there? hell ill replace the damn things but i mean its becoming clearer and clearer about the rear brakes. just tonight i come to a stop at a stop sign and the street is all wet from metling snow, and im stoped but i hear my rear tires spinning in the water and draggin on the pavement verly slowly. so these brakes need some serious adjusting hahah

Pioneer 6800
MTX TA3404 4 Channel Amp

Magnaflow Cat
Flowemaster 40

Last edited by wingzero1285; 02-05-2004 at 07:47 PM..
Unread 02-06-2004, 06:18 AM   #4
steelheart
2001 WJ 

Until you get a chance to adjust your rear brakes you can use an old rear wheel drive trick. As you are coming up to the stop sign (or whatever) put the trany into Neutral. Here's the tricky part. DO NOT go past N into Reverse. I don't think it would be good for your trany.... By putting it into N you have stopped sending power to the rear wheels. I'd practice this several times in your driveway until you are sure you can make the change without going too far. And yes, it's a little nerve racking. But not as bad a sliding into something...

As far as adjusting the brakes, I havn't spent much time with drums but I'm sure someone here can either post a link with the info or explain it better than I could. You should be able to trouble shoot them.
Have you checked your brake fluid? (just thought of it)

Good luck,
Steelheart
steelheart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2004, 08:10 AM   #5
rshrimp

As far as parking on ICE. Try putting in in 4HI this will lock the front wheels as well as the rears. We dont get much ICE around here. It's gonna hit 80 degrees today!

With 66K miles I would check the rear brakes (and fronts too)
The brake shop will probably do it for free (and then try to sell you something) but is is as easy as changing a tire.

Simply remove one rear wheel
Once you have a wheel off look at the wheel studs.
If they have never been off before there will be little clips on 2 of the studs.
I found the best way to remove them is with a pair of wire cutters.
You dont need them, they are put on at the factory to hold the drums in place until the wheels go on
Once you have removed and discarded the clips, just pull off the drum and have a look see.

Check the wear on the shoes (Look at the front one closely as it does most of the work) Also look for any fluid leaks or evedince of fluid.

Fronts same thing except pull the wheel and look in from the back of the caliper you should be able to see how much pad you have left.
Unread 02-06-2004, 12:55 PM   #6
EDM0656

Get yourself a drum brake adjustment spoon and tighten them up at the drum.

Jack the rear of the jeep up and leave it in neutral, chalk your front wheels!! Spin the rear tire by hand it should bind slightly (you should hear some grinding, for lack of a better word). If it spins really easy and you do not hear any friction (not alot, but you should hear it) it needs to be adjusted. So, feel around on the back of each backing plate near the bottom, there will be a rubber cap (may be hard to get off) Once you get that off, you insert your spoon and you will noticed that it fits into some teeth. I think you push toward the diff to tighten them up. I could be wrong, but if you test it frequently you'll figure it out. A drum brake spoon is about $5.00 and you just adjusted your rear brakes.
Crager Black Steel Wheels 3.75" backspace
Bestop Bikini
Mirror Movers and some lights
Cobra 29 CB
and a few more payments

Last edited by EDM0656; 02-06-2004 at 01:01 PM..
EDM0656 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2004, 01:14 PM   #7
wingzero1285

excellent thanks for the information everyone. next nice weekend i have i will check all my brakes. last time i rotated the tires a few months ago the front pads look good. thanks for the help

Pioneer 6800
MTX TA3404 4 Channel Amp

Magnaflow Cat
Flowemaster 40

Unread 02-07-2004, 06:23 PM   #8
wingzero1285

alright i checked out my brakes, turns out that the rear drums needed to be cleaned and adjusted. now they work a whole lot better. thanks for all the information

Pioneer 6800
MTX TA3404 4 Channel Amp

Magnaflow Cat
Flowemaster 40

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.