Rear Brake Locking Up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear Brake Locking Up

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-26-2011, 01:22 PM   #1
anotherranger
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Rear Brake Locking Up

Hi Everybody,

I'm hoping that I can get a little guidance about some brake issues that I've been dealing with for the last couple of months. I haven't done much brake work and have been trying to rely on a couple of local shops who have finally told me to stop bringing my Jeep in and suggested that I go to a Jeep dealer. I've spent a lot of time looking at other's posts and can't seem to find an answer specific to my problem. Here's the story:

Last year I bought a 99 Wrangler Sahara. About 5 months ago I brought it in to a local shop because one of the rears were leaking fluid. They put in new brake kits on both sides and cyllinders. Ever since then I've had issues with the right rear locking up. It is fine when I first start driving but after a few miles the right rear wheel will start getting really hot and locking up even with light pressure on the brake pedal. They tried adjusting it, then putting in a new proportioning valve and then finally changing out the whole brake job with new components. Nothing fixed the problem. I took the Jeep to a local Firestone for a free brake inspection. They talked me into putting in new cyllinders, another proportioning valve and new drums (they said the old ones could possibly have been contaminated). They also (supposedly) checked the brake lines and said that fluid is flowing to and from the master cyllinder without restriction. Firestone also put on new shoes which failed to fix the problem.

I pulled off the drums the other day and took some pictures. The right rear had a lot of drag on it so I backed off the adjustment and cleaned off everything with brake cleaner (it was totally caked with brake dust). The brakes worked better than they have in five months, for about 50 miles, then they started grabbing and heating up again (only the right rear, as usual). I backed off the adjustment again and everything was okay for a while, but now they're back to grabbing, squealing and heating up again.

I'm getting ready to leave for Afghanistan in January and really want to get this fixed so my wife has a decent vehicle to drive while I'm gone. Any guidance you guys could give would be really appreciated. I'm putting some pictures up so maybe you could see something that's blatantly wrong.

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/...1/IMG_1273.jpg

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/...1/IMG_1272.jpg

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/...1/IMG_1271.jpg

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/...1/IMG_1269.jpg

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/...1/IMG_1267.jpg

anotherranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2011, 01:43 PM   #2
Sparkyman2000
1998 ZJ 

You sure its just the one rear? One of the fronts sticking? Self adjuster bent?

Just trying to eliminate weak booster spring or mastercylinder problem.
Unread 11-26-2011, 02:09 PM   #3
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I would disconnect the self adjusters & manually adjust the rears & see how that works. It sounds like the r/s is over-adjusting for some reason. Not sure what would cause it. Were the adjusters part of the kit they replaced?

If you keep finding that side tighter than the other, at least with them disconnected you hopefully can isolate the cause. Then deal with the fix later.

Stay safe in Afgan!
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 03:30 PM   #4
Nekator

Rear brake locking up

Hey buddy, I've been having the same problem. I've a 1984 CJ-7 with AMC20 rear diff with drum brakes. The rear left tire started locking up before the rest while braking. Took it to the shop and had the brakes adjusted. Every single time I leave the shop it works (brakes) quite well for the first 100 or so miles, then the rear left starts locking up again. The self adjusting screw seems to be progressively tightening overtime. I would really like to know if you have solved your issue or wether you have any feedback regarding your problem. I am really tired of breaking the left rear every now and then to untighten the self-adjuster. Its rapidly becoming a PIA.
Nekator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adjuster , brakes , drum , lock , overheat

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.