Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Rear block coolant leak?

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  LJameson 
#1 ·
Hi. I have a '00 Sahara 4.0 auto, 40k, stock. It suddenly started loosing coolant and got hot. I did a quick check and all I can see is that it appears to be dripping in the area of the flexplate inspection cover. I don't see anything wet anywhere else on the motor. Is there a freeze plug in the rear of the block under the bell housing? Any other suggestions? I really don't want to pull the motor just for the fun of it! Thx - Mike

#3 ·
My son was driving it, he said he first smelled coolant and later saw steam but didn't check it. Later he saw more steam and then it got hot. He added water to the overflow because it was empty, and drove it home 3 hours without issue. Overflow was a little low. (anyone want to adopt a 26 yr old idiot?)

#4 · (Edited)
You can pressure check coolant system, check compression, along with the spark plugs, check your oil for water contamination, check coolant for oil contamination! Sounds like a head gasket! You could check the rear freeze plug on drivers side to see if it is leaking! There are 5 of them underneath the manifolds.Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.