Rear Axle: Super 35 vs. Dana 44 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear Axle: Super 35 vs. Dana 44

Jeep Liberty Window RegulatorJeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 06-07-2005, 11:07 AM   #1
jeepman83706

Rear Axle: Super 35 vs. Dana 44

Besides a stronger ring/pinion in the Dana 44, is there really a big difference between these two rear axle setups? Looks like I could save lots of money going the Super 35 way over a full axle swap. Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

jeepman83706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2005, 11:12 AM   #2
ATL TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepman83706
Besides a stronger ring/pinion in the Dana 44, is there really a big difference between these two rear axle setups? Looks like I could save lots of money going the Super 35 way over a full axle swap. Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

Use the search. This is probably the most discussed topic.
ATL TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2005, 11:12 AM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Thanks!!

Besides the smaller R&P, the only other thing is the D35c's smaller pumpkin which means the whole axle is not quite as rigid as the D44 is even though they use the same exact axle housing tubes. That said, a S35 is still a very good upgrade for 99% of those offroading their Jeeps. Reported breakages of the S35 are rare enough that I personally haven't heard or read of more than about one and that one occurred during a rock crawling competition.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2005, 11:14 AM   #4
jeepman83706

thanks guys. and I actually just saw this topic posted already right after I posted mine. Sorry!!
jeepman83706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2005, 11:34 AM   #5
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Looks like I could save lots of money going the Super 35 way over a full axle swap. Any thoughts?
obviously much debated, but are there any ballpark figures on doing a S35 vs a new 44? (other than the 'my buddy gave me one/ it only cost me $200 type discussion)?

please and thank-you.

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2005, 01:36 PM   #6
Racing Ron
2012 JK Wrangler 

Hola,

I haven't posted this for awhile, so if you've seen this already, sorry.

I'm the guy that started the "super" kits when I ran Superior axle & gear. Here is a bit of background on the big spline Dana 35 Kits.

1. We developed the 30 spline kit for one reason only. The stock shafts were breaking quite often in any big tire, locker equipped application. We felt we could develop a solution for a Dana 35 owner, that wanted to run bigger tires and a locker with some reliability. For that very specific customer, we made the super 35. I think we accomplished our goal.

2. We did not (nor do I now with my new company) compare the strength to other model axle assemblies. We only compare to stock components. To compare to a D44 or 8.8 or Toyota is pointless in our specific goal of increasing the reliability of the D35.

I look at the question this way:

If all you really want is a reliable locker and axles in your D35, don't waste the money on a 27 spline unit. Go with a Super 35 or Grande 35 and be done with it.

If you want more overall strength than your D35 (gears, axles, tubes, etc.) then bump to a 44 or 8.8 or 60 or 9".

The cost comparisons have too many variables to be of much help - everyones situation is different. DIY vs. paid labor; already geared and just need axle/locker vs. need gears and axles/locker; etc.

Look closely at your specific situation, needs, future upgrades, budget, etc. and make your own choice. None are "wrong", just fit different peoples situations.

Ron
Racing Ron is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.