Rear axle shifted towards the drivers side, suggestions??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear axle shifted towards the drivers side, suggestions???

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-04-2010, 02:48 PM   #1
01TJfuntime
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Rear axle shifted towards the drivers side, suggestions???

So Ive noticed the drivers side rear tire sticks out further from the body than the passenger side. I measured today and sure enough the rear drivers tire protrudes .5" further than the other, it also appears to be slightly slanted. My alignment tech says my thrust angle is all out of wack...I'm guessing this is related. How do I fix it Jeepforum?

Oh and 2" rustys coils, 32x11.5 tires. Stock trackbar and control arms.

01TJfuntime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2010, 02:49 PM   #2
Deacon
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01TJfuntime View Post
Stock trackbar
Hmmmmmm....
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2010, 02:50 PM   #3
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

The rear axle should be pulled to the passenger side with a small lift and no corrections to the track bar.

Are you sure you measured correctly and the Jeep was nice and level when you measured?
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2010, 02:59 PM   #4
01TJfuntime
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
The rear axle should be pulled to the passenger side with a small lift and no corrections to the track bar.

Are you sure you measured correctly and the Jeep was nice and level when you measured?
On my garage floor. Took a tall metal rod, held it firmly against the sidewalls, and measured the distance from the body to the rod. .5" difference between both sides. The rustys 2" lift was more like 2 3/4".
01TJfuntime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2010, 03:05 PM   #5
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

An adjustable track bar is usually the way to fix an axle that is off center.

However, if your axle is really off the opposite way, you will need an adjustable track bar that is capable of being adjusted shorter than stock.

Are you sure its the driver side rear tire that is sticking out further? Maybe I am misunderstanding you.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2010, 03:17 PM   #6
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe you track bar is on backwards Are you the original owner? If not maybe the first owner tinkered with the track bar/track bar mounts and even before you lift it was even more off center.
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2010, 04:20 PM   #7
crgrissom
Master of Reality

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
An adjustable track bar is usually the way to fix an axle that is off center.

However, if your axle is really off the opposite way, you will need an adjustable track bar that is capable of being adjusted shorter than stock.

Are you sure its the driver side rear tire that is sticking out further? Maybe I am misunderstanding you.
Maybe he can post a picture...I'm with you, what he is describing seems exactly backwards.

Chuck

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
- Thomas A. Edison
crgrissom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2010, 04:24 PM   #8
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I don't see any possible way for the rear axle to be protruding out further on the driver's side with the factory track bar, especially with a lift having been installed. Off to the passenger-side, yes.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine
When you have a choice, buy American.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2011, 11:43 AM   #9
gcinque
2005 LJ Wrangler 

98 TJ rear axle off center

Hello all,

Found this old thread when I was doing a search on this issue. My situation is similar to the OP of this thread, a couple of days ago I noticed that the rear axle on my 98 sahara is off center, it shifted to the driver side.

I have owned this jeep since Aug 2010, when I bought it from a local dealership it came stock. As far as I can tell the control arms, sway bar links and sway bar cushions are original. I did replace the shocks back in Oct 2010.

I'll try to post pictures tonight.

Any ideas what may have caused this?

Thanks,
GC
1998 Wrangler Sahara
6cyl 4.0, 5 spd.
1998a-wrangler-sahara27aug10.jpg  
gcinque is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2011, 02:53 PM   #10
crgrissom
Master of Reality

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Without seeing pictures, the only thing I can think of is the track bar bracket on the rear axle has failed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcinque View Post
Hello all,

Found this old thread when I was doing a search on this issue. My situation is similar to the OP of this thread, a couple of days ago I noticed that the rear axle on my 98 sahara is off center, it shifted to the driver side.

I have owned this jeep since Aug 2010, when I bought it from a local dealership it came stock. As far as I can tell the control arms, sway bar links and sway bar cushions are original. I did replace the shocks back in Oct 2010.

I'll try to post pictures tonight.

Any ideas what may have caused this?

Thanks,
GC
1998 Wrangler Sahara
6cyl 4.0, 5 spd.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
- Thomas A. Edison
crgrissom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2011, 08:03 PM   #11
gcinque
2005 LJ Wrangler 

98 TJ rear axle off center

Finally got some photos.

I replaced the following things last weekend hoping to solve this issue and another issue (clunking sound when engaging the clutch):

Rear Upper Control Arms
Rear Lower Control Arms
Rear Sway Bar Links
Rear Sway Bar Bushings
Rear Track bar
  • The clunking noise went away after I replaced the mentioned parts. The passenger side LCA was toast, the bushings fell off as soon as I removed the control arm from the brackets.
  • The rear axle is still off-center, the tires are evenly worn.

The jeep is bone stock, what can cause the axle to be off center?

Any input is greatly appreciated....

Thanks,
GC
driver-side-rear-sway-bar.jpg   driver_rear.jpg   pass_rear.jpg   pass_rearswaybaybushing01.jpg   sam_0619.jpg  

Unread 07-13-2011, 08:10 PM   #12
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The only thing that can make the rear axle protrude more on the driver's side is if the rear springs have sagged a little which will force the axle towards that side due to how the track bar connects the axle to the frame on the passenger side. 1" spacers on top of the springs can fix that, or new standard height springs.

That said, there's nothing wrong with the axle being a little off to the side like that. Jeepers with small lifts have the same problem but their rear axles are shifted more towards the passenger side.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine
When you have a choice, buy American.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2011, 07:08 AM   #13
gcinque
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the information Jerry!!

I'll put "replace springs" on my list of things to do....

Thanks again!!!
Unread 04-03-2012, 05:25 PM   #14
95ZeeJay
2005 LJ Wrangler 

realized a few days ago that my Jeep is doing the same thing, glad I found this thread.
2 inch Budget Boost, RC LCAs, everything else is rusty and stock as near as I can tell.
52 Willys CJ3a: stock-ish (his)**95 ZJ Laredo 4.0: removable doors, longarm, 8.8 rear, leaks, squeaks, dents, dings, etc (ours)**03 TJ Rubicon: longarm, body lift, 33" Duratracs- SOLD**05 LJ Rubicon: stock (MINE!)
95ZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2012, 06:38 AM   #15
gcinque
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Update

I changed the coil springs ( H&R coils) as suggested and nothing changed. The jeep sits a bit higher but the axle situation is the same. I'm thinking that an adjustable track bar can center the rear axle.

It drives straight and the tires are evenly worn so it's not causing any problems just doesn't look right to me.

Tags
rear , axle , centering , shifted , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.