Rear axle shaft-high strength ok? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear axle shaft-high strength ok?

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 10-10-2006, 05:45 AM   #1
Paul DK

Rear axle shaft-high strength ok?

I have a bent rear axle shaft on my '00 TJ with Dana 44 rear, detroit locker. I have some questions about changing it out.

1. I am looking at some higher strength Alloy USA axle shafts. I realize that with the high strength axles, they shouldn't bend. But along with that, you loose the axles ability to flex. The stock axles should be much more forgiving because they actually twist under high torque. With the high strength, won't this be harder on the pinion, driveshaft, etc?

2. Is it OK to mismatch axle shafts? I am thinking about leaving my stock driver side in, and only change out the passenger side to a high strength. With the different amounts of torsion, will I notice the difference between sides?

3. Does anyone know if the bearings, seals, & wheel studs from my stock axle will drop right on a new Alloy USA axle?

Paul DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2006, 06:02 AM   #2
UCTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul DK
I have a bent rear axle shaft on my '00 TJ with Dana 44 rear, detroit locker. I have some questions about changing it out.

1. I am looking at some higher strength Alloy USA axle shafts. I realize that with the high strength axles, they shouldn't bend. But along with that, you loose the axles ability to flex. The stock axles should be much more forgiving because they actually twist under high torque. With the high strength, won't this be harder on the pinion, driveshaft, etc?

2. Is it OK to mismatch axle shafts? I am thinking about leaving my stock driver side in, and only change out the passenger side to a high strength. With the different amounts of torsion, will I notice the difference between sides?

3. Does anyone know if the bearings, seals, & wheel studs from my stock axle will drop right on a new Alloy USA axle?
Well when axles flex or twist like your describing your OEM shafts as doing thats not good at all b/c eventually they will just twist at the splines or flex enough and overstress themselves to where they just break, kinda what it sounds like happened in your case.

I do not have any concerns nor have I ever heard of any concerned with an alloy shaft not having enough "flex" in them to be an issue as in running the OEM vs. aftermarket being better. Also if your paying for new alloy shafts IMO its dumb to run just one of the shafts and leave the stock one in place, rather use the stock one as spare if you ever break your alloy shafts.

And when you get new shafts I believe with the Alloy USA they come with new bearings and studs, if not just spend a few bucks more and get new ones. That IMO is like reusing the bolts for the ring gear which is a no no, get new stuff since your replacing the shafts....might as well have new bearings and studs in there replace them then while your in the axle doing the work.

And yes I have Alloy USA rear shafts and Yukon fronts.
UCTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2006, 06:11 AM   #3
Paul DK

You can purchase the Alloy USA shafts only, single shaft is $85, or both shafts with bearings, seals, and studs for $235. I am debating whether to purchase just one shaft, or do both complete.
Unread 10-10-2006, 06:17 AM   #4
UCTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You can purchase the Alloy USA shafts only, single shaft is $85, or both shafts with bearings, seals, and studs for $235. I am debating whether to purchase just one shaft, or do both complete.
Well I know you can buy just one at a time, but IMO unless your hurting for cash Id get both that way your done with it. Its kinda like replacing both rotors at the same time even though you might be able to get one turned and have to replace one....its better IMO to just replace them at the same time that way your know when you did it. Id get both.

Last edited by UCTJ; 10-10-2006 at 06:36 AM..
UCTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2006, 06:34 AM   #5
mrbates
RESIDENT METAL
2003 TJ Wrangler 

replace em both, less headache down the line
mrbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2006, 06:39 AM   #6
fisher836
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

1. No... upgrade.

2. I currently have a stock axle shaft driver, Alloy passenger

3. I just purchased an Alloy from Quadratec for $89 shaft only, no bearing, seal, retainer plate, or locking collar.... I just went to Autozone for that crap and used the old retainer plate. I notice no difference what so ever. There's no headaches with doing them one at a time and you don't save any coin either way.
Unread 10-10-2006, 07:46 AM   #7
Paul DK

I think I'm with the Fisher. My bearings are fine - only 24K miles, they look brand new. I can keep my stock slightly bent axle as a backup. It's not any more difficult or expensive to change the driver side out later if it breaks - just probably not as convienient. I may never bend my driver axle.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.