Rear axle out of center during project, track bar input. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear axle out of center during project, track bar input.

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 04-14-2014, 08:56 PM   #1
kdukes4
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Rear axle out of center during project, track bar input.

Hey all,

I'm in the middle of my rear outboard project and am looking for some second opinions. A couple moving pieces here:

First dropped the jeep from a 4.5" lift to 3.5" and then took measurements from there to complete the outboard.

Now, I had to cut off the rear frame track bar mount to accommodate the new shock towers. I'm circulating around and need to fab up a mount. I have built something very similar to the below picture that Mr. Blaine completed for Glockster's build. However, as of right now, the end of my RE adjustable track bar is coming about 1/4" past the inside frame with the axle resting at ride height. I got rid of the RE track bar bracket to see if that would help any but it didn't. I then brought the track bar's length all the way in and still nothing. The axle is clearly out of center. (now that I'm typing this out, I wish I could go back with my thought process on these two actions). IF I dropped the axle to increase the distance between the mounts, and the installed the track bar, I should be good, correct?

As the axle comes back to normal ride height the track bar will do it's job and position the axle where it should be.

Should I adjust the track bar back out a little and also add back the bracket? right now at full bump there's a hair of bind on the axle mount. otherwise okay...

Also, my bracket idea has the mount hole a little closer to the frame, similar to stock style. that shouldn't matter much?

It's been a long three days with this project and my head is just cooked right now, being mindful of my own and other's safety here, I appreciate any feedback.

Unread 04-15-2014, 07:52 AM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

A little confused by all that. Are you expecting the axle to self center at ride height and then you can just slap the track bar in? People say if you jounce it a bunch it will center. I've seen that get it close, but not quite right. You may have to move the axle a little with ratchet straps to get it centered at ride height. Then set the trackbar at what ever length fits and bolt it up. The frame bracket done like that works just fine. And I wouldn't worry about any of this till I was done with the rest of the project and had the jeep sitting on springs at actual ride height.
Unread 04-15-2014, 09:12 AM   #3
kdukes4
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry, between work and this project my mind has been a mess and things aren't coming out that clear. My thought in the above post was that if I set the track bar mount to the frame and installed the bar with the axle drooped then as i'd bring the axle back to ride height, the track bar would center the axle. the rest of the project is already done, perches are in place, lower brackets and towers are in and all that's left is this. i did try the ratchet straps, which helps. My question I guess is that right now, the only way i can install the track bar with ease is if i drop the axle some, unless I put the springs and tires back on and try it then, right now shouldn't change the scenario any differently... The other decision i need to make is whether I should I re-install the RE axle track bar mount or use the stock mount like I have now. I'm using a flux welder and already have the gas tank removed. If i could do this with the jeep still on stands that would be easiest for getting underneath, as well as not having to worry about slag. I think that all makes a little more sense?
Unread 04-15-2014, 09:16 AM   #4
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdukes4 View Post
Sorry, between work and this project my mind has been a mess and things aren't coming out that clear. My thought in the above post was that if I set the track bar mount to the frame and installed the bar with the axle drooped then as i'd bring the axle back to ride height, the track bar would center the axle. the rest of the project is already done, perches are in place, lower brackets and towers are in and all that's left is this. i did try the ratchet straps, which helps. My question I guess is that right now, the only way i can install the track bar with ease is if i drop the axle some, unless I put the springs and tires back on and try it then, right now shouldn't change the scenario any differently... The other decision i need to make is whether I should I re-install the RE axle track bar mount or use the stock mount like I have now. I'm using a flux welder and already have the gas tank removed. If i could do this with the jeep still on stands that would be easiest for getting underneath, as well as not having to worry about slag. I think that all makes a little more sense?
I suppose you could do the measuring and the math and figure out how far off center is "correct" with axle sagged and then set it there but that is more trouble than most do. Most center it at ride height.

Unless you materially altered your stock bracket you don't want to be connecting to it directly. You need a "CV bracket" on there that is angled and accounts for the rotation of your axle to get the bracket mounting point back up on top of the axle to avoid binding up that joint.
Unread 04-15-2014, 10:10 AM   #5
kdukes4
2004 TJ Wrangler 

that thought ran across my mind as well last night. I need to install that bracket back onto the axle. I'll finish the bracket for the frame, weld it up, put the tank back in, install the springs, drive it back and forth a bunch of times to center the axle and hopefully that's enough so that the bar will fit in with no issues.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.