Really need some help with my nv3550 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Really need some help with my nv3550

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe ALL NEW Factor 55 ProLink Winch Shackle Mounts availabFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-02-2013, 01:56 PM   #1
PaulisTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Really need some help with my nv3550

It pops out of first every now and then. It happens when its under load like when I start from a complete stop. Once I get moving and put it back into first it doesn't do it again. Can anyone please help me where I should start looking? My usual mechanic is being pissy and just told me it was something wrong with the first gear and needed replacing, all of this without even driving it. Needless to say I just left. I'm taking it to another mechanic next weekend as I have to work all week. Looking for some help in between.

What could be causing this? I hope I don't have to replace it. I simply just don't have the money, I still have bills from last semester.

PaulisTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 02:55 PM   #2
AndyAllen
1998 TJ Wrangler 

How many miles do you have on the tranny? I know our old ford 8n's pop out of gear.. they have a zillion hours on them though.. Maybe your syncro's are going?
Unread 03-02-2013, 03:05 PM   #3
DJeepinOK
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Do you have a body lift on the Jeep? I've read that the lift can cause the shofter to hit the body.

We had the same problem with 2nd gear and reverse. Read that the 3550's are prone to this. Ended up swapping in a rebuilt for $825. We had to hold it in 2nd forcefully to keep from popping out - mainly on deceleration. Drove it that way till ready to make the swap. I had looked into rebuilding it myself, but after reading a couple of write ups on here about how fun that is, plus considering a rebuild kit can easily run $400 (or more if you need any gears), went with a rebuilt.
Unread 03-02-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
PaulisTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

It just turned 157k. Would a bad synchro cause this? Excuse my ignorance not a gear head.

No bl, bone stock. I've taken out the sfhit book and it doesn't look like anything interfering with anything.

Maybe I should clear up what my concern is; I'm hoping that it is not something related to the internals of the transmission so that I won't have to have spend the money for a used or rebuilt.
But if it is, I can drive it and start from 2nd but its annoying when on off road
Unread 03-02-2013, 04:09 PM   #5
AndyAllen
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulisTJ View Post
It just turned 157k. Would a bad synchro cause this? Excuse my ignorance not a gear head.

No bl, bone stock. I've taken out the sfhit book and it doesn't look like anything interfering with anything.

Maybe I should clear up what my concern is; I'm hoping that it is not something related to the internals of the transmission so that I won't have to have spend the money for a used or rebuilt.
But if it is, I can drive it and start from 2nd but its annoying when on off road
I think so... I'll shoot Imped a pm and ask.
Unread 03-02-2013, 04:31 PM   #6
DJeepinOK
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Some people said the shifter bushing helped - I don't know if this works or not. Replaced mine at the rebuild. But after all the reading, I felt mine was the syncros. Before doing the rebuild route, we checked local pull a part - no Jeeps. Watched Craigs for awhile - no part outs locally. Ended up going to Blumenthals for $825 (http://www.blumenthalmfg.com/) (which sell through this guy on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Wrangle...747706&vxp=mtr). Their write up on ebay referrs to the popping out problem...(they charge more at $895.).
Unread 03-02-2013, 05:05 PM   #7
Tblack
2000 TJ Wrangler 

its and NV3550. Its the nature of the beast. Mine does it every couple of weeks. One time it did it on a trail while it was parked. We all know how good of parking brakes we have. Rolled right back into my friends Grand Cherokee. Good thing he had a big bull bar on the front.
Unread 03-02-2013, 05:29 PM   #8
PaulisTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Hmm I think I will give the bushing a try.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.