Really need some help with lift and TC drop issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Really need some help with lift and TC drop issues

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 07-19-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
b912
2007 JK Wrangler 

Really need some help with lift and TC drop issues

Hey guys, been lurking for a few months now and tried to weigh in where I could but now its time to post for some help. I bought a garage kept 98 Sahara with 65K from a 90yr old man three months ago and let me just say, boy was I fooled. I can't imagine what that old guy did, but it's got to be the hardest 65K I've ever seen on a vehicle. Most recently, I had to replace the rear end so while it was out, I had my 2.25" BB lift and shocks installed. Afterwards, my driveshaft would vibrate on acceleration up through about 3rd gear. I bought the skyjacker TC drop kit from a local 4x4 shop today and just finished the install. It was the 1" kit for 2.5" lifts. It seems to have corrected the vibrations, but now 2nd, 4th, and reverse don't feel like they're going in all the way. They work, but it's definitely not right. I did have an issue following their instructions to install the transfer case pivot linkage drop bracket. It just didn't fit. I have a few questions that I'm hoping you guys could help me answer.

1. I ended up not using the pivot linkage drop bracket because it didn't fit right. From my searching on here, you can accomplish what the drop kit does with some washers and longer bolts so it seems to me, this bracket is not really required. Is that true?

2. What is the remedy for the shifting issue post TC drop?

3. Does the fact that I'm not using the pivot linkage drop bracket have anything to do with my shifting issues in 2nd, 4th, and reverse?

I'm really at a loss here and appreciate any help you could provide. Thanks.

b912 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 09:56 PM   #2
WV-TJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

The most simple fix for the shifter is to remove it from the transmission via one torx bolt. Just pop the boot and surround loose from the consol and slip the plastic cover from the bottom of the shifter.You will then see the bolt. Take the shifter out, put it in a vice, heat it with a torch and bend it slightly forward. For the transfer case bracket, I had to take the two bolts loose that hold the shifter bracket to the transfer case. The two 10mm bolts can be removed from the bracket bolted to the tub and then you can easily install the new bracket. As far as the transfer case drop goes you can use flat washer, just add a few between the skid and the frame. If you still have vibes, add another washer or two in each location. Repeat these steps and test drive til the vibes are gone.
WV-TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 10:18 PM   #3
b912
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the reply. That's a pretty simple fix for the shifting issue. For the pivot drop bracket, is it absolutely necessary? I've eliminated the vibrations by adding the 1" spacers between the frame and the skid plate.
b912 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 10:22 PM   #4
04_Sahara_Man
2004 TJ Wrangler 

This might help Under Cover Fabworks, LLC - UCF LOPRO Transmission Mount
In Pennsylvania, fun is illegal
Xbox live GT - TheExecutive00
Tama, Paiste, DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth....yes I go boom boom!
04_Sahara_Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 10:31 PM   #5
WV-TJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Just try your transfer case shifter and make sure it will make it into 4-lo. If it does and you have no binding, you should be ok.
WV-TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
lift , t-case , t case , drop , transfer case , suspension , help , issue , TJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.