JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   RE Super flex or Standard flex (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/re-super-flex-standard-flex-170817/)

treypal 06-20-2005 11:27 PM

RE Super flex or Standard flex

Ok ive narrowed it down between the Super and the standard kit. I live in the south (no rocks) so its mostly going to be for looks. But im torn between the two. I know that the Super flex kit has more to offer, but Im not sure that it is worth the extra money, considering my needs. ANy opinions would be greatly appricieated. Also, what does everyone reccomend for shocks???

Thanks

TJdave 06-21-2005 12:02 AM

I got the RE superflex kit and i am very happy with it. It looks really sweet and nets closer to 4" of lift. There is plenty of room to fit 33's and it flexes really nice. I have not ran the standard kit so i have nothing to really compare it too, but i always believe that if you spend a little more $$ to do it right the first time you'll be happier in the long run.

As for shocks I got the DTS3000 shocks and they worked out nice. After about a year and a half running those I decided to try give some new Rancho 9000's a try.

Kump33 06-21-2005 12:31 AM

I was also in this problem normal or super flex....I went with the super flex and am very happy with it.....I choose the DT 3000 shocks...had no money at that point lol, they are a bit rough but hell I love it...their wicked off road...

here our pics of the lift with 33's

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/814709/2

the front has a onch inch spring spacer cause of the winch and front bumper weighing more then the jeep iteself

gtex 06-21-2005 01:43 AM

I also live in the south and won't see much rock crawling. I'm thinking I'll go with the standard kit and spend the extra on a Tummy Tucker. It's clear that's the biggest problem with my unlimited, is that TC skid plate dragging over obstacles.

sdog30 06-21-2005 07:58 AM

I went with the super flex because I knew I needed extended brake lines and wanted quick discos and that kit includes both. When I figured out the price of buying those two along with the regular kit, it was almost the price of a super flex kit. Plus you get new lower control arms and that's where the kit is really bad ***. One end has a joint built into it so it can swival to allow more flex.
I ended up going with mono tubes because they were like $80 more for the set over double tube.
I went through DC4WD.com, he had real good prices, a little expensive on shipping though, I guess it all evens out.

Jerry Bransford 06-21-2005 10:20 AM

The Superflex is great for those that need it but from what you say, my opinion is you'd be REALLY happy with their less expensive standard flex which is far better than many other competing suspension kits.

RockRunner85 06-21-2005 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
The Superflex is great for those that need it but from what you say, my opinion is you'd be REALLY happy with their less expensive standard flex which is far better than many other competing suspension kits.

I normally don't say this, but I disagree. I started out with the standard 3.5 kit. With the 4" of lift it and stock control arms my caster was just at 4. It was squirrely on the road. Once I installed some RE control arms (3/4" longer) and got my caster back up to 5 and 5.5 there was a major difference in how it drove on the road. Its money well spent. Plus the stock stamped arms don't hold up if you bang them on anything.

aproy 06-21-2005 12:03 PM

sorry if im hijacking but i just did the 3.5 sf kit. is there a benefit of now upgrading to the RE upper control arms?

RockRunner85 06-21-2005 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aproy
sorry if im hijacking but i just did the 3.5 sf kit. is there a benefit of now upgrading to the RE upper control arms?

No your fine with the arms you got. However if you install a CV driveshaft then you will want to upgrade the rear uppers to set the correct pinion angle. The reason the 4.5" kit comes with adjustable uppers front and rear is due to the cv driveshaft and for the front the factor is lift height and since the lowers are not adjustable you need the adjustable uppers to tune your suspension in.

aproy 06-21-2005 05:41 PM

that makes good sense, thanks!

SanPatricio 06-21-2005 08:01 PM

I went with the standard kit b/c I liked the JKS disco's better than the RE ones that come with the Super-flex. I also already had extended brake lines. I went ahead and ordered the lower control arms for the rear, so I basically have a superflex, just with JKS discos.

RE makes a good product with either one you get, and you can always upgrade the other components when you need to.

The time now is 04:06 PM.