RE Standard vs. Super-Flex vs. Long Arm - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > RE Standard vs. Super-Flex vs. Long Arm

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 11-25-2004, 09:56 PM   #1
photobob

RE Standard vs. Super-Flex vs. Long Arm

I'm planning on getting an Unlimited Rubicon this winter and I'm not sure which lift to get. After reading this forum for the past few months I'm pretty well convinced that I want to go with RE. My question is, what is the primary benefit of going with the Super-Flex vs. the Standard lift and what is the benefit of going with the Long Arm. As with many other Wrangler newbies I envision myself doing mostly exploring and camping but if the vehicle is capable of it I'm sure I'll become tempted to play on some rocks eventually. I also subscribe to the school of thought that you buy good tools once and bad ones often, so...
PS. Any thoughts on 3.5" vs. 4.5" while running 33s for a more balanced look to compensate for the added length?
Thanks.

photobob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2004, 10:39 PM   #2
got4-Lo

i gettin rid of mt short arms for LA's soon, it flexs a lot better! go with 4.5 for room to flex

[URL]webwheeling.com[/URL]
got4-Lo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2004, 10:44 PM   #3
got4-Lo

here a pic of LA's in acton. FLEX that a lot more than it looks

Unread 11-25-2004, 11:05 PM   #4
photobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by got4-Lo
here a pic of LA's in acton. FLEX that a lot more than it looks
Wow, which lift is that?
What else do I need to do? Brake lines, etc.?
Unread 11-25-2004, 11:11 PM   #5
CreightonRea07

i have heard that people with long arms have trouble with them getting hung up on ledges and stuff that short arms go though with ease

2000 TJ Sport
Dana 44
4.0L 5-speed
33x12.50 bfg Muds
MORE sport cage
re 4.5 w/ 3.5 springs
[URL=http://www.tamor.org/members-rigs/Creighton-Rea]Pics[/URL]

Little Brother:
'92 Cherokee Laredo
Stock but soon to be lifted
235/75 BFG All-terrains
lots of dings and scratches
CreightonRea07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2004, 11:12 PM   #6
got4-Lo

im not 100% sure what kind of lift it is but i know that u has rubicon express LA's and i think skyjacker 6+ in coils + a body lift. and those a 37 inchers. when i get the exact stats on ill let u know

Unread 11-26-2004, 12:23 AM   #7
jasonh

If all you want to run is 33" tires, I'd stick with the 3.5" springs but I would spend the extra money and get the complete 4.5" super-flex kit because it is more of a complete kit. You can just order it with the 3.5" springs and it'll save you money in the long run if you decide the upgrade your normal 3.5" Super-flex kit to have all the components that would have come with the 4.5" kit. The 3.5" springs will ride a little better because of the reduced control arm angle and they are slightly softer.

The long arm is the way to go if you have the money and drive the TJ on the street a lot because the ride is much better. I would love to upgrade but due to other items on the wish list (4:1) I'll be sticking with my RE 4.5" Super-Flex kit for a while. I'm very happy with it's on-road and off-road performance. I've never NOT been able to make an obstacle that a similar long arm TJ could. I'm running 4.56 gears, ARB's front and rear and Trxus MT 34" tires. Here's a link to some recent photos to give you an idea of what the 4.5" kit looks like with 34" tires..

http://homepage.mac.com/jason_alicia...toAlbum38.html

Let me know if you have any questions. BTW... The tires don't rub at all.

Jason
jasonh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2004, 12:28 AM   #8
FlexyTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by photobob
Wow, which lift is that?
What else do I need to do? Brake lines, etc.?

that is no off the shelf lift

and not that it hasnt been done before- but do you have any idea the level of mods you are going to be doing with a long arm kit? I hope your are paying upfront cash for your vehicle, because once you butcher the frame with a long arm, not too many dealerships will be eager to fix any of your problems, along with the fact your re-sale value to any non jeeper just went straight to -0-, just some things to consider.
Unread 11-26-2004, 12:54 AM   #9
bigblackblur

Back on topic, whether to superflex or not depends on whether or not your going to go bigger later. I believe that some of the peices that come with the superflex are made for it to ride better, but they are fixed, where if you bought the Standard, for that extra money you could buy those pieces in their adjustable trim. Like i said, not all that familiar with the superflex, I have the Standard, but ive heard that in the bang for buck and cost effective upgradability catagories the standard wins out. I dont have any experience with long arms so i wont even comment.
Unread 11-26-2004, 01:36 AM   #10
photobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonh
If all you want to run is 33" tires, I'd stick with the 3.5" springs but I would spend the extra money and get the complete 4.5" super-flex kit because it is more of a complete kit. You can just order it with the 3.5" springs and it'll save you money in the long run if you decide the upgrade your normal 3.5" Super-flex kit to have all the components that would have come with the 4.5" kit. The 3.5" springs will ride a little better because of the reduced control arm angle and they are slightly softer.

The long arm is the way to go if you have the money and drive the TJ on the street a lot because the ride is much better. I would love to upgrade but due to other items on the wish list (4:1) I'll be sticking with my RE 4.5" Super-Flex kit for a while. I'm very happy with it's on-road and off-road performance. I've never NOT been able to make an obstacle that a similar long arm TJ could. I'm running 4.56 gears, ARB's front and rear and Trxus MT 34" tires. Here's a link to some recent photos to give you an idea of what the 4.5" kit looks like with 34" tires..

http://homepage.mac.com/jason_alicia...toAlbum38.html

Let me know if you have any questions. BTW... The tires don't rub at all.

Jason
A Mac user/Jeep wheeler in So.Cal., Cool! Maybe you could steer me in the direction of a good local 4X4 shop. I'm in Tustin, where are you?
I really appreciate the info.
Unread 11-26-2004, 01:38 AM   #11
photobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlexyTJ
that is no off the shelf lift

and not that it hasnt been done before- but do you have any idea the level of mods you are going to be doing with a long arm kit? I hope your are paying upfront cash for your vehicle, because once you butcher the frame with a long arm, not too many dealerships will be eager to fix any of your problems, along with the fact your re-sale value to any non jeeper just went straight to -0-, just some things to consider.
Thanks for the input. I think I'll be sticking with the short version for now. Probably a 3.5 SF by the sound of things.
Unread 11-26-2004, 01:43 AM   #12
jasonh

Quote:
Originally Posted by photobob
A Mac user/Jeep wheeler in So.Cal., Cool! Maybe you could steer me in the direction of a good local 4X4 shop. I'm in Tustin, where are you?
I really appreciate the info.

I'm up in Simi Valley (North of L.A. in Ventura County). I'm a big fan of Four x Doctor in Burbank. I've bought some of their products and had some HD axle brackets welded on after I mangled a front lower control arm bracket. I would trust them with whatever I needed in the future. They might be a little far North for you. I'd give Currie a call and see who they suggest down there.

Let me know if you need anyother info!!

Jason
jasonh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2004, 05:45 AM   #13
Jeepxj96

I think that the lift thats on that red Jeep is the Terra Flex LCG, But after I looked at it for a while I dont think it is...... I have no idea . It looked like he trussed the axle and just went with one RE upper control arm on the Terra LA platform.

Bob
Unread 11-26-2004, 07:42 AM   #14
2LuknF8

After much research and discussing with other 4wheelers, I decided upon the 4.5" LA. Each of the SA owners wished they had bought the LA kit for a variety of reasons including stability, better geometry and especially performance. The 4.5 LA kit is the same as the 5.5 but has shorter springs and no bump stops. You can also run 35's on the 4.5 with some minor mods.
I also went with the nth degree shock relocators and an upgraded steering system.
If you go short, you will find yourself wishing you had gone long after about two years . That is the general consensus from several SA owners I have talked with.
2LuknF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2004, 07:55 AM   #15
StealthTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by got4-Lo
i gettin rid of mt short arms for LA's soon, it flexs a lot better! go with 4.5 for room to flex

LA's don't particularly flex any better than a quality SA lift of the same height.
The reason(s) or benefits of a LA kit have nothing to do with flex !!
When I was running SA's, if I "unadjusted" it, so that it was tuned correctly, I could easily drop both the front and rear springs out of the spring perches.
How much more flex would a LA do than that ? None !

I would suggest finding out the benefits and cons of a LA.

Fred
[b]Misc[/b] - Tera 2wd lo.
[b]Tires[/b] - 35x12.50 MT/R's siped on 15x7 Champion Beadlocks.
[b]Recovery[/b] - Warn XD9000i
StealthTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.