Re-painting my TJ - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Re-painting my TJ

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 01-23-2011, 03:56 PM   #16
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJeep View Post
Works now, I restarted IE, guess that was the problem ? Looks good, I have those same rust spots on the rear underneath the lower hinge and the same spot on the drivers side. I tried grinding them in the fall but really couldnt get it very smooth. Think I'll try again this spring with some body filler, but it'll probably need to be cut out to really keep it from coming back. Or just get corners....
I would have cut them out and patched it, but I have a stick welder and wasn't going to go buy a MIG welder. I figured this will last me a year or two, then I can get corners guards and/or replace the panels.

freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2011, 08:47 PM   #17
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

So about a week ago I picked up a new tailgate. I wasn't digging the flip down tailgate and my old tailgate was just so messed up. So I found a sweet deal on Craigslist and picked this up for 60 bucks:

This weekend was just so beautiful that I got to work on the tailgate and fender.

My tube of finishing putty dried out, and this is what you get when you only using fiberglass filler. The stuff doesn't finish well, hence the finishing putty.

However today just wasn't quite warm enough to shoot color, so I cleaned the garage and worked on one of many other projects, the sound bar. You can see that in my build thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/c...ue-tj-1161059/.

I'll finish EVERYTHING over spring break. I'm just going to suck it up and buy another tube of finishing putty to clean up the fender and passenger side.
Unread 03-26-2011, 10:16 PM   #18
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well, this project is a year in the making and it all comes down to this next week. This next week is spring break, and I'm not working, no school, and no homework. A full week of uninterrupted work, and will be completely done in a weeks time. Starting today.

Unfortunately my paint shop has a modified winter schedule and wasn't open today and won't be open until Monday, so I won't be able to do any finishing body work until then. But I started wet sanding today and stripping the Jeep back down.

Of course no matter how hard you try, you always strip a torx bolt. This time it was one on the role cage so I could drop the windshield. Those bolts seem to be grade 5, not the other crappy stuff used on the door hinges and such. Drill? Nope, hardly put a dent in the bolt. Heat? Nope, butane didn't do anything. Had to get the Dremmel out and use a small cut off blade to make a notch in the bolt. I probably could have used the angle grinder with a 4" cut off blade, as the Dremmel was struggling. Got a notch cut and with a big flat head screw driver, channel locks, cursing, banging, the bolt came free.

Tomorrow I finish sanding, clean up, and get the garage prepped for painting. Monday I will buy the needed finishing putty and do that. Hopefully I can get the Jeep taped of by Monday night or Tuesday and paint Tuesday or Wednesday. This should give me the rest of the week to paint the rest of the flairs, rear wheel wells, and some of the roll cage. Sometime in May when I start working again I will be buying U-Pol Raptor and doing the inside of the tub and at the same time remove the roll cage completely and paint it.
Unread 03-26-2011, 11:38 PM   #19
Prunedale4x4
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looks real good bro. Do you have auto classes in your school? Your still in high school right?
Prunedale4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2011, 11:47 PM   #20
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prunedale4x4 View Post
Looks real good bro. Do you have auto classes in your school? Your still in high school right?
Yes I'm still in HS, (junior). We don't have any auto classes at the school, but you can take auto classes at our career development center. I was going to take some last year, but it's a 10 min drive from the HS and the way the schedules are it just wouldn't have worked with my AP classes.

Everything I've learned is from just doing it or from my dad.
Unread 03-27-2011, 12:42 AM   #21
jhf56
2003 TJ Wrangler 

looks good dude
jhf56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2011, 12:46 AM   #22
Prunedale4x4
1997 TJ Wrangler 

O nice, ya im a junior too and thats where i've been doing all my body work. Planing on painting my jeep O.D. green. Just need to buy the paint lol.
Prunedale4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2011, 07:52 AM   #23
er2ergrn
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Dang you are one motivated person and from what I could see you do excellent detail oriented work. Definitely thumbs up.

Oh one thing I have heard that you can do also with the stripped torx is to tac weld a bolt to that and use a wrench to force it off. Between the added leverage of a combination wrench or socket and the heat from tacking the bolt on you can usually break them loose fairly easy or so I have heard. The only reason I mention that one is because you were already painting otherwise I would be to worried about damaging surrounding paint from welding.

Again kudos and awesome work. I love it, makes me jealous. I am painting mine this summer too.
er2ergrn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2011, 03:45 PM   #24
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by er2ergrn View Post
Dang you are one motivated person and from what I could see you do excellent detail oriented work. Definitely thumbs up.

Oh one thing I have heard that you can do also with the stripped torx is to tac weld a bolt to that and use a wrench to force it off. Between the added leverage of a combination wrench or socket and the heat from tacking the bolt on you can usually break them loose fairly easy or so I have heard. The only reason I mention that one is because you were already painting otherwise I would be to worried about damaging surrounding paint from welding.

Again kudos and awesome work. I love it, makes me jealous. I am painting mine this summer too.
Thanks man! Tacking on a bolt would have been my last option. Didn't really feel like breaking out the arc welder.
Unread 03-27-2011, 03:48 PM   #25
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

More updates. Mostly worked on the windshield frame, not very surprising I found some rust a long the bottom lip. Other than that more sanding and cleaning up, got the garage ready for paint.

Anybody watch Dexter?
Unread 03-27-2011, 04:03 PM   #26
Jbecker
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Looking good! When I get a decent place, I hope to do something similar to my TJ. Fix up some little rust spots, maybe even an engine swap.

I may have missed something, but how are you going to ventilate your "paint room"?
Jbecker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2011, 04:13 PM   #27
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbecker View Post
Looking good! When I get a decent place, I hope to do something similar to my TJ. Fix up some little rust spots, maybe even an engine swap.

I may have missed something, but how are you going to ventilate your "paint room"?
The "paint booth" is made from a 10x100ft roll of plastic and was cut into two pieces, so they overlap somewhere in the back. I figure I'll put a fan between the overlapping pieces and open the side door, then crack the garage like last time.
Unread 03-27-2011, 06:04 PM   #28
rnorma1
2005 LJ Wrangler 

You painted in just a dust mask?
rnorma1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2011, 06:06 PM   #29
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnorma1 View Post
You painted in just a dust mask?
Nope, I have a full respirator for painting. Wear the dust mask for sanding.
Unread 03-27-2011, 06:17 PM   #30
Skytard
1997 TJ Wrangler 

looks good man Im a senior in High School graduate in May!. Wish I could turn my parents garage into a paint booth. lol. I have done some body work on a friends 350z that turned out pretty good. Im sure you have figured this out but im gonna say it, Its all in the prep work. If you put on a coat of primer and you see something you dont like, sand back down and fix because when its finished and all glossy, the blemishes show a lot more and its worth it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.