RE Monotube or Skyjacker Hydro Shocks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > RE Monotube or Skyjacker Hydro Shocks

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 07-28-2010, 11:27 AM   #1
Lucille92
2003 TJ Wrangler 

RE Monotube or Skyjacker Hydro Shocks

So im just about to buy a 2.25" BB from 4 Wheel Customs and im stuck between getting the SJ Hydros or the RE Monotubes. The RE shocks cost a good bit more then the SJ and i dont know if its worth it or not for them. How much better (if any) are the RE then the SJ? Is it worth the extra $120 to get the RE if there going to last longer, perform better, and be more durable?

I know some people say the Hydros have been just fine for them, and i know other people say you should never get anything made by Skyjacker. Any help would be appreciated

Lucille92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 11:41 AM   #2
Ghaniba
1998 ZJ 

My jeep got some Skyjacker Hydros and I absolutely love them on road with my 4" lift RC springs. It's super smooth over rough terrain. Off road, 90% of the time they're fantastic, but a couple weekends ago, I found one drawback. That softness can be frightening on offcamber situations, where leaning to one side and going over obstacles will cause just that little bit more lean of the body as it steps over... Scared the b'jebus out of me. Most Jeep owners however would probably not follow where I'm driving mine, for what it's worth.

Dave aka Ghan
Ghaniba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 11:53 AM   #3
Lucille92
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaniba View Post
My jeep got some Skyjacker Hydros and I absolutely love them on road with my 4" lift RC springs. It's super smooth over rough terrain. Off road, 90% of the time they're fantastic, but a couple weekends ago, I found one drawback. That softness can be frightening on offcamber situations, where leaning to one side and going over obstacles will cause just that little bit more lean of the body as it steps over... Scared the b'jebus out of me. Most Jeep owners however would probably not follow where I'm driving mine, for what it's worth.

Dave aka Ghan
How long have you been running your hydros?
Unread 07-28-2010, 11:55 AM   #4
bige2533
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I have the 2.25" spacers with the RE monotubes and I'm not a big fan of the on road performance. It is kind of stiff to say the least. However, off road they do really well. Since I'm offroad about 5 days per year, I probably should have went with something else.
Unread 07-28-2010, 11:58 AM   #5
2doorxj
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Ive been running hydros for a long time now, i like them, but i feel that they are a little to soft, next time around i want to get something else, thats a little more stiff.

If i was in your shoes id get the hydros, its only a 2.25 lift, your going to wanna go bigger, dont waste money on good shocks that your going to replace soon anyway.

2012 Cherokee of the Year
2doorxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 12:12 PM   #6
pachary
2005 LJ Wrangler 

FWIW, 3 out of my 4 RE Monotubes has failed (leaked). I can't recommend them.............

2005 TJ Unlimited/I6-M6/Rubi 4:1 Tcase/4.5RESF/1.25JKS BL-1BMML/37"SSRs/WarnM8000/Besttop TireCarrier/Waggy D44/ FR-RR DetroitD44/Cobra Remote CB/custom F&R Bumpers/JeeperMan Skids/York OBA/Rokmen TummyTuck/TNT 3" Fenders and Rear Corners/AA SYE- Carolina Drivelines CV Shaft
pachary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 12:24 PM   #7
Caribic-TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachary View Post
FWIW, 3 out of my 4 RE Monotubes has failed (leaked). I can't recommend them.............
I have RE Monotubes on my LJ Rubicon, one leaked after two years and was replaced under RE's warranty. I like their ride. On my TJ Sahara I have Hydros, they work fine also, but started to rust soon. One SJ shock failed also after two years.
Caribic-TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 03:17 PM   #8
Lucille92
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Its lookin like i'll probably go with the hydros then. Anyone want to buy a Dean ML Vintage bass guitar so i can afford them?
Unread 07-28-2010, 03:17 PM   #9
epeck87
2000 TJ Wrangler 

my re monotubes got noisy after a year

Tags
shocks , recommendation , RE , skyjacker , hydros , rubicon express , monotube , mono tube

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.