JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   RE Monotube or Skyjacker Hydro Shocks (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/re-monotube-skyjacker-hydro-shocks-1078185/)

Lucille92 07-28-2010 11:27 AM

RE Monotube or Skyjacker Hydro Shocks

So im just about to buy a 2.25" BB from 4 Wheel Customs and im stuck between getting the SJ Hydros or the RE Monotubes. The RE shocks cost a good bit more then the SJ and i dont know if its worth it or not for them. How much better (if any) are the RE then the SJ? Is it worth the extra $120 to get the RE if there going to last longer, perform better, and be more durable?

I know some people say the Hydros have been just fine for them, and i know other people say you should never get anything made by Skyjacker. Any help would be appreciated :thumbsup:

Ghaniba 07-28-2010 11:41 AM

My jeep got some Skyjacker Hydros and I absolutely love them on road with my 4" lift RC springs. It's super smooth over rough terrain. Off road, 90% of the time they're fantastic, but a couple weekends ago, I found one drawback. That softness can be frightening on offcamber situations, where leaning to one side and going over obstacles will cause just that little bit more lean of the body as it steps over... Scared the b'jebus out of me. Most Jeep owners however would probably not follow where I'm driving mine, for what it's worth.

Dave aka Ghan

Lucille92 07-28-2010 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghaniba (Post 9865434)
My jeep got some Skyjacker Hydros and I absolutely love them on road with my 4" lift RC springs. It's super smooth over rough terrain. Off road, 90% of the time they're fantastic, but a couple weekends ago, I found one drawback. That softness can be frightening on offcamber situations, where leaning to one side and going over obstacles will cause just that little bit more lean of the body as it steps over... Scared the b'jebus out of me. Most Jeep owners however would probably not follow where I'm driving mine, for what it's worth.

Dave aka Ghan

How long have you been running your hydros?

bige2533 07-28-2010 11:55 AM

I have the 2.25" spacers with the RE monotubes and I'm not a big fan of the on road performance. It is kind of stiff to say the least. However, off road they do really well. Since I'm offroad about 5 days per year, I probably should have went with something else.

2doorxj 07-28-2010 11:58 AM

Ive been running hydros for a long time now, i like them, but i feel that they are a little to soft, next time around i want to get something else, thats a little more stiff.

If i was in your shoes id get the hydros, its only a 2.25 lift, your going to wanna go bigger, dont waste money on good shocks that your going to replace soon anyway.

pachary 07-28-2010 12:12 PM

FWIW, 3 out of my 4 RE Monotubes has failed (leaked). I can't recommend them.............

Caribic-TJ 07-28-2010 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pachary (Post 9865656)
FWIW, 3 out of my 4 RE Monotubes has failed (leaked). I can't recommend them.............

I have RE Monotubes on my LJ Rubicon, one leaked after two years and was replaced under RE's warranty. I like their ride. On my TJ Sahara I have Hydros, they work fine also, but started to rust soon. One SJ shock failed also after two years.

Lucille92 07-28-2010 03:17 PM

Its lookin like i'll probably go with the hydros then. Anyone want to buy a Dean ML Vintage bass guitar so i can afford them?

epeck87 07-28-2010 03:17 PM

my re monotubes got noisy after a year

The time now is 02:41 AM.