RE Long Arm -> Front Track Bar Bracket hit Tie Rod? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > RE Long Arm -> Front Track Bar Bracket hit Tie Rod?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-23-2008, 12:27 PM   #1
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

RE Long Arm -> Front Track Bar Bracket hit Tie Rod?

Has anyone with a Rubicon Express Long Arm Kit had the Front Track Bar Bracket (Top/Drivers side) make contact with the Tie Rod?

I'll try to get a pic this evening, but after a recent trip to Pismo Beach for some dune wheeling, I noticed just a "slight" bend way up high on the drivers side of my Track Bar (OEM still till I get some $$$ for a Currie HD Setup). I didn't think much of it because it was pretty minor and I didn't feel any difference in the steering or anything. It could have been from one of other trips, but haven't done anything crazy recently (Hollister hills a couple months ago and a Snow run up in the Sierra's in February)

I looked a little closer today and there are two little marks on the Tie Rod that correspond to a direct line to little flat spot the lower side of the Upper Track Bar mounting bracket... was pretty obvious that at some point the two made contact at some point, maybe a couple times, and at least hard enough to put a VERY slight tweak in the Tin-Foil OEM Tie rod...

Is that "normal" and anything I need to be worried about, or should I just go wheel the crap out of it so I can bend it bad and have the justification to upgrade?

SW2

2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
SuperWade2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2008, 01:46 PM   #2
imbezol
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I've seen those marks near the driver's side of my tie rod as well. I was sure that it was from the tie rod making contact with the brackets for the bottom spring perch though. Here are two pics to illustrate.. you'll notice that the drop bracket for the trackbar sits oriented sideways and couldn't really make those marks. In the second pic you'll see the two brackets going down from the spring perch that are narrower (sharper) and could definitely make the marks. I think it happened when something pushed the flimsy tie rod in towards the axle, and possibly I was turned hard to the left.

Note that there are no marks yet in these pics as I had just installed the lift.

imbezol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2008, 02:06 PM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Is your front driver-side tire stuffing too high up into the wheel well? Do you have the correct height bump stops installed?

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2008, 02:08 PM   #4
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

You'll have to excuse the low res cell phone pics, but it shows the bend, and the two Rubicon Express "Grey" Paint markings on the Tie Rod that look more likely to have hit the lower edge of the Track Bar Joint where it ties into the drop bracket.

2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 04-23-2008, 02:09 PM   #5
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Is your front driver-side tire stuffing too high up into the wheel well? Do you have the correct height bump stops installed?
I dunno.. I have whatever stops came with the 4.5" RE Tri-Link Long Arm kit as far as I know... I didn't install it... I had it done...

SW2
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 04-23-2008, 02:11 PM   #6
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWade2 View Post
I dunno.. I have whatever stops came with the 4.5" RE Tri-Link Long Arm kit as far as I know... I didn't install it... I had it done...

SW2
I'd check it out further then, I can't think of any other reason the tie rod could come in contact with the upper trackbar bracket.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2008, 02:15 PM   #7
imbezol
2004 TJ Wrangler 

That's odd. I can stuff my driver's side all the way up and it's nowhere close.

Unread 04-23-2008, 02:20 PM   #8
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I'd check it out further then, I can't think of any other reason the tie rod could come in contact with the upper trackbar bracket.
It looks like that kit should have shipped with the 2" Lower Bumpstops for the front (vs the 3" Fronts that come with the 5.5" Kit)..

I'll go see what I can see...

SW2
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 04-23-2008, 02:29 PM   #9
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbezol View Post
That's odd. I can stuff my driver's side all the way up and it's nowhere close.
This is the only semi-Full Stuff Pic that I have and it's pretty dark, and not a great angle to see the underside... It "looks" like the Tie Rod is still straight as far as I can tell... Only did the Snow Run and Pismo since this was taken, and no big "stuffs" as far as I remember...

2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 04-23-2008, 02:32 PM   #10
imbezol
2004 TJ Wrangler 

When I had it flexed there I took a look and had about 2 or 3 inches to go before my bumpstops bottomed out but I still don't think it'd get the tie rod up that high. Myself I'm building a Waggy 44 front with high steer to get away from all these weirdnesses (and make some new ones probably). I have problems with my tie rod hitting my lower stabilizer shock bolt. Anyways, good luck figuring it out and let us know how ya fixed it.

Edit: love the look of your Jeep! Nice rig!
Unread 04-23-2008, 05:46 PM   #11
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbezol View Post
When I had it flexed there I took a look and had about 2 or 3 inches to go before my bumpstops bottomed out but I still don't think it'd get the tie rod up that high.
That's easy to figure out. Measure the distance between the tie rod and the bracket and then between the upper and lower bumstops. If the former is greater, it will hit.

Quote:
Has anyone with a Rubicon Express Long Arm Kit had the Front Track Bar Bracket (Top/Drivers side) make contact with the Tie Rod?

Is that "normal" and anything I need to be worried about, or should I just go wheel the crap out of it so I can bend it bad and have the justification to upgrade?

SW2
It’s not normal, and if you don’t address it, you’ll keep bending the tie rod. I recently redid my suspension and ran into this problem big time. I didn’t want to fiddle fart with it, so off with the RE, in with the Currie. If you don’t want to change it, there may be a solution.

I had to redrill the RE bracket about 1/2” higher to “raise” the trackbar and make it as parallel as I could with the draglink. This would have allowed me to shorten the bracket if I wanted to. Look to see if your trackbar and draglink are parallel, if not and you need to move the trackbar up, that may be your solution.
Unread 04-23-2008, 07:45 PM   #12
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
That's easy to figure out. Measure the distance between the tie rod and the bracket and then between the upper and lower bumstops. If the former is greater, it will hit.
Right @ 5 inches Between Tie Rod and Lowest Part of the Upper Track bar (actually the track bar near the zerk not the bracket I think)

~8 inches between the Upper and Lower Bumpstops inside the shocks...

And here is the best I could do for a full view...

2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 04-23-2008, 08:31 PM   #13
Lawrence

Quote:
Right @ 5 inches Between Tie Rod and Lowest Part of the Upper Track bar (actually the track bar near the zerk not the bracket I think)

~8 inches between the Upper and Lower Bumpstops inside the shocks...
Well, that's your problem.... Either add more bumpstop or get another trackbar. Those are your two options.
Unless, judging from that last picture, you keep on hitting your tie rod and let it clearance itself. Best is to go to Pismo and get some serious air, guaranteed to work.
Unread 04-23-2008, 08:45 PM   #14
Gold03TJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Can you get a closer pic of the upper bumpstop in your coil? Almost looks like the cup that bolts in and the rubber bumpstop are missing off the top.
Gold03TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2008, 09:14 PM   #15
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Well, that's your problem.... Either add more bumpstop or get another trackbar. Those are your two options.
So the Adjustable Trackbar/Drop Bracket that they sell with the kit, with their Shocks, Springs and Bumpstops (part of the same kit) aren't designed to work together??? That doesn't sound right at all...

Gold03TJ, I'll try to get a closer pic of the upper bumpstop... I have to go move the heep into the Driveway anyhow...
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.