RE BB install cost - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > RE BB install cost

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Artec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!

Unread 06-22-2004, 02:51 PM   #1
JeepinJohnny

RE BB install cost

I just got the RE BB lift kit, and am getting ready to have it put on. I am checking with a couple of local shops, but I'm wondering what some of you have paid to have this installed. I don't want to get gouged.

JeepinJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2004, 02:54 PM   #2
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinJohnny
I just got the RE BB lift kit, and am getting ready to have it put on. I am checking with a couple of local shops, but I'm wondering what some of you have paid to have this installed. I don't want to get gouged.
do it yourself in a couple hours...

you could buy all the tools, including floor jack and jackstands for the cost of an install...

btw...are you the one I referred to a shop in Garner?

Greg
BigWaylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2004, 03:03 PM   #3
JeepinJohnny

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWaylon
do it yourself in a couple hours...

you could buy all the tools, including floor jack and jackstands for the cost of an install...

btw...are you the one I referred to a shop in Garner?

Greg
Yes, and thanks. Unfortunately, I need to get it done during a weekday, and I am working about 30 miles from Garner. I have a customer of mine who owns a shop in town here. I haven't done anything like this before, just regular maintenance, so I would rather have someone experience do it. Thanks a bunch!
Unread 06-22-2004, 03:13 PM   #4
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

Quote:
Yes, and thanks. Unfortunately, I need to get it done during a weekday, and I am working about 30 miles from Garner. I have a customer of mine who owns a shop in town here. I haven't done anything like this before, just regular maintenance, so I would rather have someone experience do it. Thanks a bunch!
OK...

not sure what others have paid, but I wouldn't pay more than 3 hours labor, and figuring $75/hour on the high side, $225 would be the max...

heck, for that amount, I might drive up there and install it in the parking lot while you're working...

when you say weekday, does that include evenings? if so, give my buddy a call (you live in/near Garner right?)...the shop is not necessarily his 8-5 job, and he spends a lot of nights/weekends there...

I bet we could find you a college student that would love the money and do it almost any hour of the day...

let me know if evenings work, or if you just wanna call a shop and have them do it, go ahead...

Greg
Unread 06-22-2004, 03:29 PM   #5
garion12299

Seriously, if you know how to use a jack and a couple wrenches, you can install the bb. It is too easy, ungodly easy some might say. It really isn't something a bonded mechanic needs to do.
Unread 06-22-2004, 03:45 PM   #6
wayoflife

Ditto, do it yourself:

Click here to see my RE 2" Budget Boost Installation Write-Up

Last edited by wayoflife; 06-22-2004 at 04:02 PM..
wayoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2004, 03:52 PM   #7
crgrissom
Master of Reality

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayoflife
I followed the writeup above and it was a piece o'cake. Plus, you'll learn enough by doing this to give you confidence to do more work on your jeep yourself in the future.

Chuck

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
- Thomas A. Edison
crgrissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2004, 05:52 PM   #8
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crgrissom
I followed the writeup above and it was a piece o'cake. Plus, you'll learn enough by doing this to give you confidence to do more work on your jeep yourself in the future.

Chuck
or, since you're in Raleigh...I bet you'd do it for $100, right? I know I would...

Greg
Unread 06-22-2004, 06:00 PM   #9
crgrissom
Master of Reality

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWaylon
or, since you're in Raleigh...I bet you'd do it for $100, right? I know I would...

Greg
I'm too slow at installing to fit it into my schedule...

Chuck

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
- Thomas A. Edison
Unread 06-23-2004, 12:29 AM   #10
Dacaur
2008 MK Patriot 

I wish I was close enough I'd do it ... but really, do it yourself, it is EASY!!! Plus you will have the satisfaction of knowing you did it yourself, you will save a bunch of cash, and you will have some new tools for your next project.... and anyway, real jeeps are built, not bought , right? You never know what a mechanic is going to do to your jeep when you take it in, There was a post not to long ago from a mechaic at a dealership that was working on a brand new jeep and decided to see what It could do, so put it in 4lo and floored it up a hill (on pavement) then it got stuck in 4lo and took him 30 min to get it back into 2hi.... no apparent damage was done to the jeep at the time and am sure the customer never knew, but who knows 1 year or 2 down the road a part that was stressed that day might fail due to it.... I wouldnt take my jeep to a mechanic unless there was no way i could possibly fix the problem such as a computer or transmission problem.... All I know about working on jeeps I learned by myself and reading the internet and haynes/chilton manuals, I just the other day replaced my shackles, changed my transmission mount, and troubleshot and installed a new starter.... no mechanic school or anything!

99 WJ Laredo
2.5" Budget boost, 265/75/16 tires, K&N air filter
www.dacaur.com/jeep.html

Past Jeeps:
1992 YJ 4.0, 5 speed 6", lift 33's
1992 XJ 4.0, auto, 3" lift, 31's
1999 XJ 4.0, auto, 3" lift, 31's
1985 XJ 2.5, 5 speed, no lift, 255/70/15's
---------------
Dacaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2004, 04:36 AM   #11
Down&Dirty

Man, I wish I could do this for the extra cash, but my work just exploded so I am busy during the week. I would be willing to help out if it fits into my schedule though. There is nothing like the satisfaction of doing a project like this yourself. The BB is a super simple install, and once it is all done you get to answer the great question. Hey where did you get that thing lifted? IN MY DRIVEWAY. Plus if you plan on actually using it, you would benifit from the experience and knowledge gained by doing the work yourself. And if that doesn't do it for you, my neighbor might be willing to do it for the extra cash. He is always trying to pull me out from under a jeep to do the work for me, but I love getting greasy. BigWaylon, thanks for leading me to the post. We might have to get a big group together at uwharrie or someplace soon. I am dyeing to get this wrangler flexing.

'80 CJ-5, full width, 3 link front, 1/4 elliptical rear, 38's, and propane.
Down&Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2004, 05:48 AM   #12
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down&Dirty
BigWaylon, thanks for leading me to the post. We might have to get a big group together at uwharrie or someplace soon. I am dyeing to get this wrangler flexing.
not to get off topic...but I'm REAL interested in working on this...so I started a topic in Wheelin' Neighborhood USA:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89990

Greg

Last edited by BigWaylon; 06-23-2004 at 05:58 AM..
Unread 06-23-2004, 07:07 AM   #13
JeepinJohnny

OK, y'all have set me straight. I'm gonna do it myself this weekend, probably Saturday morning. Due to recent separation, I am staying with a friend of mine. He says he should have the tools I need...all of mine are being held hostage right now. But, if anyone in the Raleigh/Garner area has time to give me a hand, call me at 919-796-6111. Beer and Pizza is on me.
Unread 06-23-2004, 07:15 AM   #14
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

Quote:
OK, y'all have set me straight. I'm gonna do it myself this weekend, probably Saturday morning. Due to recent separation, I am staying with a friend of mine. He says he should have the tools I need...all of mine are being held hostage right now. But, if anyone in the Raleigh/Garner area has time to give me a hand, call me at 919-796-6111. Beer and Pizza is on me.

only "odd" tool is a T55 Torx bit...not everybody has a set of those, and if they do, not always one that big (used to remove front sway bar links)...

rest is a floor jack and jack stands...basic sockets and wrenches...

Greg
Unread 06-23-2004, 09:22 AM   #15
crgrissom
Master of Reality

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Hey, good to hear you're gonna go for it yourself. Sorry to hear about your marital problems...been there, done that, I can sympathize. If I can get out of any of my other crap this weekend I'll give you a call...I guess you're in southern Wake County, right? In the meantime, be sure to print out wayoflife's instructions before you start, and for a laugh, you should watch my install video:

http://crgrissom.tzo.com/crg/Mods/REBB.wmv

but don't worry about the coil compressors, I really didn't need them anyway. Let us know how you do.

Chuck

- Thomas A. Edison

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.