RE 5.5LA complete...almost - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > RE 5.5LA complete...almost

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 03-12-2007, 09:06 PM   #1
barry1me
2012 JK Wrangler 

RE 5.5LA complete...almost

I finished the Long arm kit this weekend. Total time to install 18hours..including down time. This was done by me and and another buddy who have never really done a full suspension kit. a few little issues..HOPEFULLY! I have a 8.8 in my TJ, and I have some questions. I bought the jeep used with the 8.8 already in it. I put all the control arms to length that RE recomends for the 5.5 LA kit. I have two issues right now. Worst of all it makes the jeep look terrible: mad:

1) the rake of the vehicle is huge. The rear is 3.25 inches higher then the front. Granted I dont have the rear bumper carrier on yet, or the spare....but 3.25"

2) the axle is not centered in the fenderwell. And I dont think I have many options. I have about 1" clearance from the driverside shock shaft and the gas tank, and the track bar is close to the gas tank.

Update: The rear end has settled quite a bit since I added the weight in the back, and flexed out the suspension. The rear axle is centered perfect in the fenderwell. Now with the new Monotube shocks this thing rides great. I have to give Rubicon express's customer service a big thumbs up!

dsc00893.jpg   dsc00887.jpg   supers001.jpg   supers002.jpg  

everything below has a hyperlink to the install/review
Rubicon Express Long Arm
D30 Alloy axle shafts with Alloy U joints
D30 Powertrax no slip locker
Skid row skids engine- gas tank - radiator- steering box
Expidition one trail series rear bumper and carrier
Edge Trail jammer install/review
Bestop Trailmax Aqua seat
Bestop Super top

Before you ask about a product in the Technical forums check out the product review section!

Last edited by barry1me; 04-02-2007 at 12:08 PM..
barry1me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2007, 10:24 PM   #2
numchuck
pirate squirrel

2005 TJ Wrangler 

your tire carrier and spare will help alot to balance out the weight of your winch on the front . . . better to be high in back than low . . . could you improve the clearance of your rear shocks and track bar by adjusting the pinion angle ?
Unread 03-12-2007, 10:32 PM   #3
ziaholic
180 lb Gorilla

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Looks great! Feels good to get those ol' shorty's outta' there ...

Rake ... hmmm ... r u sure the springs in the front are the right ones? Your pic is on an incline, so it's hard to tell how bad it is flat ...

Which axle's not centered? I'm tri-link in the rear, so not much help with measurements etc. but you can mostly eyeball the rear alignment by adjusting the track-bar and shorten/lengthen the arms half-turns at a time ...

Video: Moab '05 GoldenCrack MyStockRubi
Video: Moab '07 GoldenCrack MyLiftedRubi
ziaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2007, 11:03 PM   #4
JeepRocks86
Some Call me RockDog

2003 TJ Wrangler 

are you sure you got the 5.5 coils in the rear and not the 7.5s?
My TJ Build Thread.
www.kifourwheelers.com
For Sale:
TJ Rear Dana 44 shaftsfor sale
3 11"& 2 13" BBCS shocks

JeepRocks86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2007, 11:08 PM   #5
ziaholic
180 lb Gorilla

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Here's a shot of the 5.5's next to the stock ones ...
dsc03356sm.jpg  

Video: Moab '05 GoldenCrack MyStockRubi
Video: Moab '07 GoldenCrack MyLiftedRubi
ziaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2007, 03:16 AM   #6
imbezol
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, this looks a little bit ridiculous. Sure it's only 3.25 inches? Looks like more.

Front and back tires are equidistant from the bottom of the picture so this is dead level.
imbezol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2007, 03:43 AM   #7
raskull
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Just kind of stabbing in the dark here, maybe someone else can offer some input that has a 8.8.

Perhaps the 8.8 is higher than the d35/d44 where the shock mounts are? The kit is intended for the stock axles, and maybe they offer different springs for 8.8 owners?

Raskull - Metallic Silver '03 Jeep TJ Sport (pic)
http://myjeeptj.com <- Write-ups on mods/maintenance/trips and a video/image gallery
Custom front bumper build
Custom rockers build
My build thread
raskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2007, 05:10 AM   #8
sduncan
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm guessing that you got the wrong rear springs. Those look like the 7.5s.
'98 TJ, 5.7 HEMI, 545RFE, G2 33 spl. D44, HP D30,ARBs,4.10s, RE 4.5 LA,Savvy 1.25 BL,35in MTRs w/Pro Comp 15x10 alloys, Warn 9.5 cti w/Amsteel rope, Gen Rite G3 Alumium front fenders and rear flares, Premier Power welder 195 amp,Savvy Rockers,Prothane bumps,LED tail lites, Rampage top
Link to my Hemi build thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/so...rsion-1277803/
YouTube video..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaDRq...&feature=g-upl
sduncan is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2007, 06:40 AM   #9
barry1me
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepRocks86
are you sure you got the 5.5 coils in the rear and not the 7.5s?

that was my first thought...checked part numbers and Im running the 6070 rears (5.5) and the 6040 fronts (5.5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by numchuck
your tire carrier and spare will help alot to balance out the weight of your winch on the front . . . better to be high in back than low . . . could you improve the clearance of your rear shocks and track bar by adjusting the pinion angle ?
yeah I know the tire carrier will help some. I adjusted the lower control arms 5/8" longer last night. Havent driven it since I did this but the pinion angle looks good, and the rear seemed to come down a lil bit (cant give an accurate measure, cuz I have to deflate rear tires to get in the garage right now )

Quote:
Originally Posted by raskull
Just kind of stabbing in the dark here, maybe someone else can offer some input that has a 8.8.

Perhaps the 8.8 is higher than the d35/d44 where the shock mounts are? The kit is intended for the stock axles, and maybe they offer different springs for 8.8 owners?
now your on the same page as me...I believe the axle shaft OD is 1/2" larger, but that only gives a 1/4" taller then D35. I dont believe the shocks mounts would affect vechicle height, but I could be wrong. I was checking out the rear spring cups last night and they dont seem to have any more noticable height above axle tube vs. a D35??

Rubicon Express Long Arm
Bestop Super top

Before you ask about a product in the Technical forums check out the product review section!
Unread 03-13-2007, 07:32 AM   #10
GreenJip

Glad to see you got the kit installed. I have a few comments about your "problems".

1) When we installed my buddies LA kit he had a little rake due to the front winch. I noticed you have a heavy front bumper and winch up front. That will cause it to sag in the front. The 8.8 does create about 1" lift in the rear because the axle tube is bigger in diameter than the D35 and D44. Plus you don't have any tire weight in the back. When you add the net affect of those things, it makes since that the Jeep would rake that much. Get 2" coil spring pucks for the front and put your spare tire on the back and see if that helps. Looks like you will be able to run 37" tires!

2) your track bar should be adjustable. Disconnect it on level ground and adjust it until your rear axle is centered. RE didn't take into account that you have that 8.8 in the rear, so there suggested track bar length is not going to be accurate.

That reminds me, if you install the pucks up front, you will have to adjust the front track bar as well.

I know how frustrating it is to have to tweak projects when you are near the end. I am cursed with that expectation. Good luck with the adjustments.
GreenJip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2007, 07:46 AM   #11
barry1me
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenJip
Glad to see you got the kit installed. I have a few comments about your "problems".

1) When we installed my buddies LA kit he had a little rake due to the front winch. I noticed you have a heavy front bumper and winch up front. That will cause it to sag in the front. The 8.8 does create about 1" lift in the rear because the axle tube is bigger in diameter than the D35 and D44. Plus you don't have any tire weight in the back. When you add the net affect of those things, it makes since that the Jeep would rake that much. Get 2" coil spring pucks for the front and put your spare tire on the back and see if that helps. Looks like you will be able to run 37" tires!

2) your track bar should be adjustable. Disconnect it on level ground and adjust it until your rear axle is centered. RE didn't take into account that you have that 8.8 in the rear, so there suggested track bar length is not going to be accurate.

That reminds me, if you install the pucks up front, you will have to adjust the front track bar as well.

I know how frustrating it is to have to tweak projects when you are near the end. I am cursed with that expectation. Good luck with the adjustments.

Yeah im glad its done too. It was actually a pretty fun project. I would go to 37's but I honestly dont want to go that high right now. 35's are where I want to be. Gearing is good for it, and I dont want to start building up either axle right now I may have made a mistake and mispoken. When I meant the axle isnt centered in the fender wells, I meant that the whole axle assembly is closer to the front of the vehicle, not centered in the middle of the fender well opening.

Rubicon Express Long Arm
Bestop Super top

Unread 03-13-2007, 07:58 AM   #12
GreenJip

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry1me
I may have made a mistake and mispoken. When I meant the axle isnt centered in the fender wells, I meant that the whole axle assembly is closer to the front of the vehicle, not centered in the middle of the fender well opening.
I started thinking about that and wondered if I misread your #2 question. The only thing I can think of is to adjust yor control arms further out. It sucks you only have an inch or so between your gas tank and track bar.
GreenJip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2007, 08:49 AM   #13
beryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbezol
Yeah, this looks a little bit ridiculous. Sure it's only 3.25 inches? Looks like more.

Front and back tires are equidistant from the bottom of the picture so this is dead level.
HOLY CRAP! its definitely not supposed to have that much rake! even when there is going to be a load in the back and even with a heavy bumper and tire it still probably wouldn't level it out
beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2007, 09:03 AM   #14
SlinkyTJ
This space for rent.

1997 TJ Wrangler 

It looks like you have the front springs in the back and the back springs in the front.
Unread 03-13-2007, 09:14 AM   #15
barry1me
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlinkyTJ
It looks like you have the front springs in the back and the back springs in the front.
lol no I have the right springs in the front and rear

Rubicon Express Long Arm
Bestop Super top

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.