RE 5.5 Long arm: Net lift height? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > RE 5.5 Long arm: Net lift height?

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 07-22-2010, 10:16 AM   #1
larubie
2004 TJ Wrangler 

RE 5.5 Long arm: Net lift height?

I have ordered a Rubicon Express Long Arm 5.5" from my 04 Rubi to be installed next week. I have been hearing that the lift, when finished, is much higher than 5.5". I realize that some settling will occur, but I have been told that I should expect 7"??? Anyone out there have this lift on there TJ?

larubie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 10:41 AM   #2
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I had the 4.5" and it was nearly 5.5"

My 3.5" is almost 4".

4.5 and 3.5 were/are both RE springs.

Current vehicles: 06 F250 Superduty - 6.0L PSD Straight piped and tuned
03 CBR600RR -1 +2, Yoshi'd & Battlaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddisi View Post
Finesse in crawling looks way cooler than momentum.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 10:46 AM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I ordered that exact same lift but fortunately, I came to my senses before I installed it and swapped the 5.5" springs for 4.5" springs. For 35" tires, the 4.5" kit is ideal and it provides more like 5.5" in reality anyway. 5.5" tall springs (6.5" in reality) are just stupid-tall in my personal opinion. I hope you will have a SYE and CV driveshaft installed for either of those lift heights, you'll need them.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 11:06 AM   #4
tjdriver
2004 LJ Wrangler 

don't rubi's already have an sye?

one of my friends put the 5.5 RE long arm on his 04 rubi with 36 sx tires a few weeks after i had my 8" skyjacker lift put on. i run 37s and his jeep sat very close to the same height as mine.
tjdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 11:29 AM   #5
robncar
Lets hear it for Gravity!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I ordered that exact same lift but fortunately, I came to my senses before I installed it and swapped the 5.5" springs for 4.5" springs. For 35" tires, the 4.5" kit is ideal and it provides more like 5.5" in reality anyway. 5.5" tall springs (6.5" in reality) are just stupid-tall in my personal opinion. I hope you will have a SYE and CV driveshaft installed for either of those lift heights, you'll need them.
Stupid tall? Our fronts have sagged with the stinger and winch. Currently, we have a 3/4" spacer in the front and after about another year could likely use another 3/4" spacer to level out. We are considering swapping in some 4.5" rears instead. It all depends on the weight of installed accessories.

Keep in mind that the RE springs seem to take a year, or more, to "break-in" and settle. Along the way the ride will improve too.
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 11:40 AM   #6
larubie
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I just spoke to Rubicon Express and they tech guy tells me that I the lowest would be 5.5", but hard top, large spare, wench, and etc will associate with the lower figure. If the Jeep is stripped plan for 6.5" give or take. Ok, now that I know this I will wait to see how this lift looks and then play with the tire size. This is nuts but will be fun either way I guess.
Unread 07-22-2010, 11:43 AM   #7
larubie
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, the Rubicon has an SYE from the factory and I am doing the CV drive shaft too. I am upgrading the Dana 44 with new stronger axles and new 5:13 gears. If I end up going with 36 or 37's I should be fine. You guys are great for helping me out Thanks so much.
Unread 07-22-2010, 12:00 PM   #8
larubie
2004 TJ Wrangler 

What tire do have you guys experienced with? I don't mind noise and I do more road driving than trail, which I hope to change soon, but for now its 75/25.
Unread 07-22-2010, 12:29 PM   #9
Jetscuh
O rly?

I have heard that the RE LA kits do tend to sit hire. I'm on a 6" Long arm (Full Traction) and I don't want to go anymore than that, lift wise.

If you're running 35's I think the 4.5 kit would be just fine. However, it is your Jeep and ultimately your preference.

As far as tires, I've always liked BFG's. I've owned the BFG Mud Terrain and BFG Mud Terrain KM2. Both rode nicely on the road (wore well, fairly quiet) and performed nicely off road as well. They're not too bad price wise IMO when compared to others.
Jetscuh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 12:29 PM   #10
sixgunmatt
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have the RE 5.5" with 35" tires. I have actually only had this done for a couple of weeks now. At first, I thought it sat way too tall, but I definitely like the look now. I also figured there will be some sag with my hard top, body armor, etc., and if/when I decide to go to a bigger tire I have room to go. I am not running any body lift, and hopefully won't ever have to. Jerry knows best, but like he stated, it's his personal opinion. Anything above 5.5" would have been absolutely ridiculous on 35" tires for my Jeep.
'97 TJ Sport 4.0L, D30/D44 4.88 Gears, RE Extreme Duty 5.5" LA with Rear Tri Link truss, 35x12.50/R15 MT Baja MTZs, 15x8 Pro Comps, RE Anti-Sway Bar Quick Disconnects, RE Monotube Shocks, AA SYE, Tom Wood's CV DS, Magnaflow Exhaust, Spectre Performance Intake through Cowl, etc...
sixgunmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 12:45 PM   #11
larubie
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I agree, I will just see what it sits like and try a couple tire options. If I can go to 37 than that is fine since I am going with stronger axles in the D44's and 5.13's.
Unread 07-22-2010, 01:09 PM   #12
EricRollerSkate
2000 TJ Wrangler 

It will sit pretty high. I had a 1" bodylift previously installed before the 5.5 lift. So I have 6.5" total. A little more lift makes sense where I wheel because its hard to avoid mud, and water crossings. However, when I start taking it to Rausch creek eventually I plan to throw some 3.5" coils on there.

In this picture it's sitting on 36" iroks which measure out to be a tad over a true 35" tire.
100_0519.jpg  

Why wear a flip flop on your left foot, and a steel toe on the right?
EricRollerSkate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 01:35 PM   #13
larubie
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Nice rig! I always have the option to buy lower springs if need.
Unread 07-22-2010, 03:59 PM   #14
chefdab
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have the RE 5.5 LA on my LJ. I took measurements before and after the lift. Including the difference of tire size (from stock 30's to 35" MT/R's) I had a total change in elevation of 10 inches. That was almost three years ago though and I'm sure it has settled some since. But like others have said, it will allow you options on tire size (up to a 37 with no other modifications), or you can always swap in shorter springs if you prefer once the rest of the system is in place.
Quote:
... at what point has "NEED" ever come into play when it comes to Jeep upgrades
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranmannm View Post
I'm a idiot so be genital.
chefdab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 05:40 PM   #15
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry... I like the 5.5" "stupid tall... after a small sag over time and all of my winch and armor, it works great.I didn't want a body lift at all! I love the tri-link that I added with it.It works well for me.IMO!
GOLENJEEPTJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
re , rubicon express , 5.5 , lift , suspension , long arm , height , TJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.