Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

RE 5.5 Long arm: Net lift height?

10K views 44 replies 17 participants last post by  larubie 
#1 ·
I have ordered a Rubicon Express Long Arm 5.5" from my 04 Rubi to be installed next week. I have been hearing that the lift, when finished, is much higher than 5.5". I realize that some settling will occur, but I have been told that I should expect 7"??? Anyone out there have this lift on there TJ?

#2 ·
I had the 4.5" and it was nearly 5.5"

My 3.5" is almost 4".

4.5 and 3.5 were/are both RE springs.

#3 ·
I ordered that exact same lift but fortunately, I came to my senses before I installed it and swapped the 5.5" springs for 4.5" springs. For 35" tires, the 4.5" kit is ideal and it provides more like 5.5" in reality anyway. 5.5" tall springs (6.5" in reality) are just stupid-tall in my personal opinion. I hope you will have a SYE and CV driveshaft installed for either of those lift heights, you'll need them. :)

#5 ·
I ordered that exact same lift but fortunately, I came to my senses before I installed it and swapped the 5.5" springs for 4.5" springs. For 35" tires, the 4.5" kit is ideal and it provides more like 5.5" in reality anyway. 5.5" tall springs (6.5" in reality) are just stupid-tall in my personal opinion. I hope you will have a SYE and CV driveshaft installed for either of those lift heights, you'll need them. :)
Stupid tall? Our fronts have sagged with the stinger and winch. Currently, we have a 3/4" spacer in the front and after about another year could likely use another 3/4" spacer to level out. We are considering swapping in some 4.5" rears instead. It all depends on the weight of installed accessories.

Keep in mind that the RE springs seem to take a year, or more, to "break-in" and settle. Along the way the ride will improve too.

#24 ·
don't rubi's already have an sye?
Yes, the Rubicon has an SYE from the factory
I'm surprised I'm the first one to catch this. Rubi's DO NOT come with a SYE from the factory.....I'm really pumped for people to stop saying this. They come with a fixed rear output from the factory. Thus, they don't need a SYE since there is no "slip yoke to eliminate." You'll still need to run a double cardan shaft and inline pinion angle. The fixed rear output just saves you the $200 a SYE would cost a NP231 owner.

#6 ·
I just spoke to Rubicon Express and they tech guy tells me that I the lowest would be 5.5", but hard top, large spare, wench, and etc will associate with the lower figure. If the Jeep is stripped plan for 6.5" give or take. Ok, now that I know this I will wait to see how this lift looks and then play with the tire size. This is nuts but will be fun either way I guess.

#7 ·
Yes, the Rubicon has an SYE from the factory and I am doing the CV drive shaft too. I am upgrading the Dana 44 with new stronger axles and new 5:13 gears. If I end up going with 36 or 37's I should be fine. You guys are great for helping me out Thanks so much.

#10 ·
I have the RE 5.5" with 35" tires. I have actually only had this done for a couple of weeks now. At first, I thought it sat way too tall, but I definitely like the look now. I also figured there will be some sag with my hard top, body armor, etc., and if/when I decide to go to a bigger tire I have room to go. I am not running any body lift, and hopefully won't ever have to. Jerry knows best, but like he stated, it's his personal opinion. Anything above 5.5" would have been absolutely ridiculous on 35" tires for my Jeep.

#9 ·
I have heard that the RE LA kits do tend to sit hire. I'm on a 6" Long arm (Full Traction) and I don't want to go anymore than that, lift wise.

If you're running 35's I think the 4.5 kit would be just fine. However, it is your Jeep and ultimately your preference.

As far as tires, I've always liked BFG's. I've owned the BFG Mud Terrain and BFG Mud Terrain KM2. Both rode nicely on the road (wore well, fairly quiet) and performed nicely off road as well. They're not too bad price wise IMO when compared to others.

#12 ·
It will sit pretty high. I had a 1" bodylift previously installed before the 5.5 lift. So I have 6.5" total. A little more lift makes sense where I wheel because its hard to avoid mud, and water crossings. However, when I start taking it to Rausch creek eventually I plan to throw some 3.5" coils on there.

In this picture it's sitting on 36" iroks which measure out to be a tad over a true 35" tire.

Attachments

#14 ·
I have the RE 5.5 LA on my LJ. I took measurements before and after the lift. Including the difference of tire size (from stock 30's to 35" MT/R's) I had a total change in elevation of 10 inches. That was almost three years ago though and I'm sure it has settled some since. But like others have said, it will allow you options on tire size (up to a 37 with no other modifications), or you can always swap in shorter springs if you prefer once the rest of the system is in place.

#18 ·
Well, I am still waiting for the shocks to come in so that the RE 5.5 LA lift can be installed. Message from the shop is that the last two shocks will be in Friday. Looks like Monday its going to the shop. Walker Evans wheels should be delivered a week from Friday, just in time to fit the tires (37's I hope). So much to do and so much money...

#20 · (Edited)
mine sit 42 1/2 to the center bottom edge of the fender flair in the back and 42 1/4 in the front. i figure that was the best place to measure, wish i had simular measurements for stock height. the lift itself has been on for 8 months now and i have the same front bumper as robncar with the warn xd9000i

as far as the sye rubis have a fixed flange so all you will need is a new drive shaft.

i do plan on going to the 4.5 coils with a 1-1.5 BL so i can do what ever up armor i can, really just the gas tank skid. with the 5.5 coils i could easily fit 37 and am overall happy about the lift.

deffiantly go with the 5.13 R&P, i went with 4.88 and regret not going 5.13 with the 42RLE

#27 ·
Yes, the 17" does add some to the price when it comes to tires, but you benefit if you plan to go with bigger brakes/axles in the future. You can purchase these from Walker Evans Racing themselves, but I purchased mine from Poly Performance

Poly Performance JEEP/TRUCK & BUGGY*::*Wheels*::*Walker Evans Wheels*::*Street Wheels*::*Walker Evans 17" Street Wheels 3-3/4" to 6" Backspace - 4x4 Off-Road, JK Synergy Suspension Systems, Fox Racing Shox, Beard, CNC Brakes, Johnny Joints®, Currie E

They are $325 each for the Street Lock wheels 17x8.5 (which is the only width they make) but you can decide on the backspacing you want. The best part is the shipping is free. This will save you about $200! I was going to spend the extra $$$ for the polished wheels, but keeping up with them is a real pain. Louisiana red clay will dull the finish in one wheeling trip and adding to the already hours needed to clean the Jeep after one is not my idea of fun. I will send pics after the tires are on and the Jeep is back from being lifted.

#28 ·
Update on lift

Just picked up the Rubi from the shop and the lift is done. I kept the same tires on it until I get the new ones ordered, but it gave me a chance to measure the final total lift that I we have been discussing. On average the RE 5.5 LA netted 6.75". Yes, it looks a little silly with 31's still one it, but that will be dealt with very soon. Expensive lift, but I think worth every dollar spent. Thanks to all of you that helped on this thread.

(Sorry, I tried to upload a pic, but its not working. Will try again later.)

#31 ·
I have about 3.5" clearance with the 31's but I decided to stick with 35" KM2's so I should just squeeze by if I am lucky. I really wanted to go with 37's but for now the 35's will due nicely. I do not want to purchase RJ60's right now with all that I still need to do to the Jeep. By the time the 35's wear out I should be ready. Plus, I will need to lift the opening of the garage once I do so that is another cost that I do not need right now.

#35 ·
Well, the soft top makes it by about 1/2" clearance... I have not tried the hard top as of yet but once the weather gets real cold I will try it too (not the south Louisiana get all that cold but you know what I mean). I have to say that I am VERY happy with the lift, tires, wheels, and etc. I was afraid that I made a mistake in the planning, but in the end it is sweet. Now I have the install the Curie Tie rod kit and damper, PSC steering box and pump, gears and axles. I hope to be ready after that soon. Hey, thanks to all your guys that helped me out with this build.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.