Re 3.5 Sf ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Re 3.5 Sf ?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 08-03-2007, 10:33 PM   #1
Smoke6
2007 JK Wrangler 

Re 3.5 Sf ?

I thought I remembered reading about this, but I couldn't find anything. For those of you who have this kit...

When you install, do you have to drill a relocation hole for the stock trac bar? I'm guessing that would be a major PITA. Would I have to drill if I went with the JKS adjustable trac instead?

Obviously the JKS ad. trac is more $$$, but is it the better option?

TIA, B

Unread 08-03-2007, 11:18 PM   #2
AZG23

you have to drill either way....to reuse stock (less favorable) you have to drill another hole to relocate the TB..

I got the RE adj TB when I did mine...and you have to drill out the hole to a larger size...(more favorable)...

"If you cant understand that, your face needs to be set ablaze with kerosene and promptly put out with a wet brick."
AZG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2007, 06:21 AM   #3
DogHouse
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Az is right. If you re use stock like i firts did then you need to drill a hole 3/4" further towrds center. If you go with aftermakert then you will have to redrill your track bar bracket towrds the steering box side(RE track bar). I have change suspension parts out so much and tires that it seemed that the stock one left my axle too far on passenger side so i went to an adjustable .
DogHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2007, 06:40 AM   #4
NameUnavailable

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yep, with the JKS you need to make the mounting hole on the frame side larger - 9/16 if I remember correctly. Stock it's a tapered hole, so drilling it isn't difficult. You don't need to worry about lining it up right. It is a bit difficult to get a drill in that space, an angle drill would be nice to have. I forgot to get this drill bit when I did my lift, and drilled it to 1/2" then used my dremel to make it big enough. I think this was much easier then trying to relocate the bracket on the axle side. And the JKS bar is much beefier than the stock one.
NameUnavailable is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2007, 06:43 AM   #5
luk4mud
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I went through 3 "hardened" bits doing that thing. Of course, that was before someone introduced me to the wonders of drilling oil. I highly recommend the strudiest bit you can buy and drilling oil for this job.
I did something like this a while back for my corolla. I poked a hole into the ducting and ran a hose to stick into my shorts. It didnt work thew best cause I never plugged up the vents, but it did help.
luk4mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2007, 07:34 AM   #6
AZG23

definitely agree with the oil...

Lube and go sloooooooooowwww....it cuts right thru

"If you cant understand that, your face needs to be set ablaze with kerosene and promptly put out with a wet brick."
AZG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2007, 07:57 AM   #7
JeepinSoldier
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have this lift.

Do it right the first time and use the RE or JKS adjustable track bar.

Do you really want two holes in your frame track bar mount thus weakening it?

Stock track bar is marginal for a lifted Jeep. Plenty of people do it, but I would advise against it becouse of what I saw happen to another Jeeper while I was at FT Bragg. He had the new hole drilled slightly off causing problems. A shop had to cut the welds, remove the mount, do the same thing from a wrecked Jeep, and reweld it. Big bucks at $90 an hour labor.
Unread 08-04-2007, 09:41 AM   #8
Black06X
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I would definitely spend a few extra $$ and go with the adj. trac bar. I have a 4.5 SF kit and just drilled out the mounting hole. Big tip that was helpful for me when I finally figured it out...Im not sure what type of drill you are going to use, mine was a porter&cable 19v drill, pretty powerful. If you are going to use a drill like this which I recomend, set the clutch on it so you don't break your wrist when the drill bit catches hard on the metal. just don't have the drill set on "drill" set the clutch on the drill to slip b/c a decent 19v drill is pretty darn powerful and when it catches there are way too many things you will be working around that would love to smash your hand, haha. Other than that, it was pretty easy...lots of drilling oil too!
Black06X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2007, 08:09 PM   #9
Smoke6
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the input guys. I've had pretty good luck with JKS stuff. I've been leaning that way.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.