RE 3.5 - Need more flex?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > RE 3.5 - Need more flex??

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 02-15-2009, 08:54 PM   #1
seabass2020
2002 TJ Wrangler 

RE 3.5 - Need more flex??

I have a short arm Rubicon Express 3.5" Super Flex lift. It comes with lower control arms, and i'm using the factory uppers. I have the RE monotube shocks. I'm wondering if I need my jeep to flex more. It seems like often I will have a wheel come off the ground, when I think it should be able to flex more to allow all 4 to stay planted. When I have it flexed, where a wheel just starts to come off the ground, I've had a couple people jump in with me and the extra weight pushes all 4 down. So, what options do I have for additional flex? My swaybar is disconnected.

seabass2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2009, 09:02 PM   #2
Jeff91XJ
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I'm sorry for my ignorance of TJ's, but do they have a REAR sway bar? If so Take it off, or get Disco's.

I removed my Rear Sway bar on my XJ and it helped keep my rear tires planted on the ground!
Jeff91XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2009, 09:23 PM   #3
M2LJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Disconnecting the rear sway bar on the TJ will not get you any more flex! Trust me, a long time ago I asked about it and got the straight scoop from Mr Jeep himself (Jerry).

I think it may be your RE SF 3.5" kit, which is the reason most folks buy the 4.5" kit and just get the 3.5" springs with it.

Cheers! M2
M2LJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2009, 09:24 PM   #4
Jeepster83
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff91XJ View Post
I'm sorry for my ignorance of TJ's, but do they have a REAR sway bar? If so Take it off, or get Disco's.

I removed my Rear Sway bar on my XJ and it helped keep my rear tires planted on the ground!
XJ's are an entirely different animal. TJ's are very unstable with no rear sway bar. do not remove it.

it sounds like you might want some slightly longer shocks. be sure there are some spring retainers on your Jeep before you do that though. the monotube shocks are great shocks but they might be limiting your down travel.

you also might want to look into getting the upper control arms and pretty much anything else that the 3.5" kit doesnt have but the 4.5" kit does. youll get more out of your suspension.
WyoTech West Sacramento - Graduated 8/19/2011

Back into my Jeep... finally.
Jeepster83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2009, 09:36 PM   #5
seabass2020
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I've also heard that disco'ing the rear sway bar is a bad idea. Also, there are a few different things between the 4.5 and 3.5 kits, but I thought it was just the track bars and UCA's. I have an adjustable track bar in the front. I paid extra for the monotube shocks (because I thought the twintube were too stiff), so I'd hate to give them up, but i wonder if they are what's limiting my travel. Are shock extenders a possibility?
Unread 02-15-2009, 09:44 PM   #6
NMLJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I think whats holding you up is your stock upper control arms. They have a rubber bushing on both ends. RE uppers will have a superflex ball joint on one end and rubber bushing on the other. If your adjustable track bar has bushings on both ends, it will bind up also. Be sure to check brake line and shock length as well.

-2006 Impact Orange LJ-

THE HARDEST THING ABOUT A ZOMBIE OUTBREAK WOULD BE PRENTENDING NOT TO BE EXCITED
NMLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2009, 10:31 PM   #7
Jeff91XJ
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry guys. Like I said, I don't know much about TJ's....I always forget they have Coil's in the rear. It worked out great on my XJ. I had no Ill side effects from taking it off either.
Jeff91XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2009, 10:39 PM   #8
rubidriver
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Longer shocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj1974 View Post
your money will go farther in College Station.
rubidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2009, 10:40 PM   #9
Jeepster83
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff91XJ View Post
Sorry then guys. It worked out great on my XJ. I had no Ill side effects from taking it off either.
leaf suspensions have different handling characteristics than the 5 link that the TJ has. my buddy's XJ doesnt have a rear sway bar and hes fine as well. not a bad suggestion for a dedicated trail rig but for a DD its just not going to work well.
WyoTech West Sacramento - Graduated 8/19/2011

Back into my Jeep... finally.
Jeepster83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2009, 06:20 AM   #10
NEastUnlmtd
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I am in the same boat. I posted up last night and had no replies. I want to resolve this and get all I can before I measure for a CV. When I bought the OMEs they were designated as Long Travel but I have them open all the way and more spring is probably there. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...58#post6588458
NEastUnlmtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2009, 07:06 AM   #11
cgmrdc
1988 MJ Comanche 

i would say the biggest limit is your control arms. start picking up used sets and you will see a big improvement over the stock arms. my rear droop increased by over half a (33") tire when i went to SF arms vs stock...

Next my guess would shocks and brake lines, Im running the RE mono tubes for 3.5" lift but im on 2.5" coils... i get comments on my rear articulation all the time... I still have not acquired front RE LCAs so Im still not flexing as much as i would like up front (and yes i know front are rear LCAs are the same but i didnt know that when i bought and installed them )
cgmrdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2009, 08:52 AM   #12
ET48
1986 CJ7 

I have this lift kit and am upgrading the upper control arms to adjustables and swapping out my coils for 4.5". I think your upper control arms are limiting your flex in addition to your shocks. The bushings are probably shot too.

Another thing to check is make sure your lower control arm busings are greased up so they move easier. The easier they move the more flex you get.

Last edited by ET48; 02-16-2009 at 03:29 PM..
ET48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2009, 12:57 PM   #13
NEastUnlmtd
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I will look closer next Sunday and isolate the limiting piece. I thought if the shocks were open all the way it had to be them. I know the length of the RE CAs is very close to stock. In my case it is probably for the best anyway.
NEastUnlmtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2009, 03:08 PM   #14
Dhorn33
1997 TJ Wrangler 

It is likely the shocks - they are probably maxed out and won't allow the axle to move any further. As an experiment try removing them and flexing the rig out - if it doesn't go any further then the shocks aren't the issue! If it flexes further than it did with them connected then get longer shocks?
Dhorn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2009, 04:50 PM   #15
seabass2020
2002 TJ Wrangler 

It definitely is not, or couldn't be the brake lines. I'm pretty sure they would break before limiting any kind of travel. If it is the shocks, are there any kind of shock extensions, or do you just have to get longer shocks? I don't see how UCA's could help with flex. They can help with pinion angle, but flex??

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.