RCV CV axle shafts VS. Chromoly shafts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > RCV CV axle shafts VS. Chromoly shafts

New Product Release: Flowmaster CA Legal Direct-Fit CatalyPartsHubDirect: Hella LED Lighting, HID Xenon, Headlamps, Hella Rallye 1000 Series 12-Volt/55-Watt Black Magic Halog

Unread 02-04-2011, 10:10 AM   #1
NJ06Rubicon
2006 TJ Wrangler 

RCV CV axle shafts VS. Chromoly shafts

I'm debating which ones to go to when I go to 35's soon. If I went with chromoly shafts, I would also go with the Vanco big brake kit from Savvy, but with the RCV's, this is impossible. Are the RCVs THAT much better? I'd like to get some opinions from the wealth of knowledge here at Jeep forum.

NJ06Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2011, 10:19 AM   #2
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

rcv's are that good. but stopping is important too.

for 35's you'd probably be ok with the upgraded pads and rotors instead of the whole bbk.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2011, 10:23 AM   #3
justanotherjpr

Why wont the RCV's work with the Vanco kit?

My preference would be the RCV's.
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2011, 10:27 AM   #4
NJ06Rubicon
2006 TJ Wrangler 

http://shop.savvyoffroad.com/product...&categoryId=15
Can't do any grinding and the RCV shafts are too big to fit without grinding.
Unread 02-04-2011, 10:28 AM   #5
NJ06Rubicon
2006 TJ Wrangler 

BTW, this Jeep is a DD and will see a couple trips a year at 700 miles +
Unread 02-04-2011, 10:34 AM   #6
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I run stock shafts with spicer joints on 35's with no issues at all....with 4.88's, locked, in rocks. But I also run Centric rotors with Savvy pads, which will EASILY lock up 35's. I'd recommend just giving that route a try first. If you feel that one or the other area is lacking, upgrade it. FYI, I've heard that AEV's brake kit will work with RCV's. A fella on ROF is doing it. Unfortunately, AEV's kit is a bit excessively priced.

I see no reason to drop $800 minimum on something that won't ever be exposed.
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2011, 10:39 AM   #7
dd187
2002 TJ Wrangler 

--

a lot of the Yota guys are dumping their setup for U-Joints....and were going to their setup. Guess its greener on the other side of the fence.

As for brakes:
I bought EBY yellowstuff off streetsideauto (coupons available online 10%) and greenstuff rears of ebay for 30$ new.
Jeep stops my 35s no problem on stock rotors.
dd187 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2011, 11:36 AM   #8
MayRoll
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ06Rubicon View Post
BTW, this Jeep is a DD and will see a couple trips a year at 700 miles +
It would seem as a DD with only a few trips a year, I'd side on the value of stopping power. The RCV shafts are an awesome axle and are stronger and I found to be a better value than say Superior Evo's even with CTM's. I can't reliably run Vanco's, so I use Centric rotors and EBC yellowstuff pads and are not completely satisfied with their performance either on or off the trail. I'd try a quality shaft with spicer joints to start, that would allow you to run Vanco's.

Having said that, I have no experience with the new Black Magic pads. They may be head and shoulders better than EBC offerings and allow you to enjoy reasonable road worthy stopping power (still no where near Vanco performance) along with RCV's.
MayRoll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2011, 11:39 AM   #9
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I've ran both the Yellows and Savvy's. The Savvy pads are indeed heads and shoulders better. They bite harder in the cold than the Yellows do when warmed up. Whatever route you go, go with those pads.
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2011, 12:02 PM   #10
Benderff
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I run RCV's cause I got them at a steal of a price. I wouldn't pay full price, or anything close to that for them. I would run superior shafts in a heart beat if I had to do it over. I'm running the Black magic pads also (much better than EBC yellows). I'm about to do WJ brakes and steering only because I get bored and like to tinker. I can lock up my 35's no problem with the BM pads. They just saved me the other day when I got cut off.
Unread 02-04-2011, 12:26 PM   #11
RYANSTULC
1998 TJ Wrangler 

If you plan on wheel'n HARD, get the RCV's.

I'm currently saving my pennies for a set myself.
I run nothing but rocks, and have extremely build D44's (full chromo shafts and long 300M u-joints)
I keep snapping outers, inners, and I've broken one 300m u-joint cap and cross.

For about 1400, I can get RCV's that are "about" as strong as stock D60 stuff. Plus, I won't loose any strength in the axle while turning.

I agree that brakes are critical, but so is the time and money you invest in a wheel'n trip.
Maybe invest in a better set of pads, and call it good?
RYANSTULC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2011, 01:03 PM   #12
NJ06Rubicon
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'm hoping to wheel it at least once a month, but it will also see probably 2 or more trips a year that are 700+ miles highway one way. I want to make it as tough as possible, because just about everywhere I wheel it, will be at least 1 hour away and I want to be able to drive home. Money is not as big a part of this equation as getting it done right. The main reason I was looking at RCV's was their strength, but was also looking at Vanco for their superior stopping power. I just want to do it right the first time.
Unread 02-04-2011, 01:08 PM   #13
Jay12
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I just ordered my RCV shafts this week and I think they'll be the last shaft I ever buy. If you want a good deal talk to Doug at Extreme Axle sales. www.extremeaxlesales.com
Jay12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2011, 01:45 PM   #14
MayRoll
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYANSTULC View Post
For about 1400, I can get RCV's that are "about" as strong as stock D60 stuff.
And you'd be paying too much. I paid about $850 to my door from Dave at Northridge4x4. That made it a huge value over Superior Evo's with CTM's.

On a side note, I really want to give those Black Magic pads a try.
MayRoll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2011, 02:01 PM   #15
Jay12
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayRoll View Post
And you'd be paying too much. I paid about $850 to my door from Dave at Northridge4x4. That made it a huge value over Superior Evo's with CTM's.

On a side note, I really want to give those Black Magic pads a try.
I would imagine he would be getting custom shafts made of 300m for that price
Jay12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.