RC X-flex vs Currie adjustable control arms - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > RC X-flex vs Currie adjustable control arms

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 09-18-2012, 10:02 PM   #16
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Revivied from the dead.. lcoals in my area seem to favor the RC joint because it "gives" better on the road. Apparently lasts longer because it flexes more and absorbs shock?

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 10:19 PM   #17
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak17 View Post
Revivied from the dead.. lcoals in my area seem to favor the RC joint because it "gives" better on the road. Apparently lasts longer because it flexes more and absorbs shock?
This couldn't be further from the truth.

I have yet to install currie arms on my TJ due to funds not being available , but I just recently helped a buddy of mine install some Rokmen arms on his TJ. His ride improved over the stock clevite bushings. The suspension feels tight and solid, while soaking up bumps smoothly like a proper suspension should.

Edit:It's hard to explain, but if you know how a clevite bushing works, and how a johnny joint works, you would understand why the JJ would give a better ride. More fluid movement instead of the tension of the bushings twisting as the suspension cycles.

-Chris LeDoux

I never could figure what the sky was thinking, but the soil, she don't keep too many secrets.
LJameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 10:19 PM   #18
brplatz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak17
Read one of the 100 other threads on this. Johnny joints are proven and last with zero maintenance. RC gives for a bit then fails

[QUOTE=mrblaine;14089403]That's like saying you wish your boyfriend was a bit less gay.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Blue"]MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ[/COLOR]
[URL="http://www.nmoffroad.com"][COLOR="DarkRed"]NMOffroad[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.overland-motorsports.com/"][COLOR="Gray"]Overland Motorsports[/COLOR][/URL]
[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/brplatzs-tj-opv-1240947/#post13888971"]My Build[/URL][/COLOR]
brplatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2012, 07:08 AM   #19
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brplatz

Read one of the 100 other threads on this. Johnny joints are proven and last with zero maintenance. RC gives for a bit then fails
I get it... im still set on jj's, have been from the get-go. But some of the local guys keep asking why i want jj's. They just dont get it i guess?

Unread 09-19-2012, 07:19 AM   #20
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Your locals aren't too bright. At least you're an exception.
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2012, 08:38 AM   #21
aparke4
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have the RC upper adjustable front and rears... i needed them in a pinch and got them at a great pricepoint through the RC vendor here on JF in 2 days to get my SYE and lift/ axles properly set up. I have run them a couple times on some medium trails but nothing too difficult- so far so good after 8 months. Greased em up the other day and they are still noise free which is a plus. the clevite bushings are nice and firm still. the joints are easy to put together... this is a great novice/ first lift adjustable arm but above medium to hard wheeling i can see them not holding up... the upper front arm fork where is attaches to the axle is kinda hokey and the tube is not as big or thick as some of the competitors... my joints are still tight from the day i installed them and i can replace them with curries if i so desire. I might replace the joints with curries and cut off the clevites and replace with a currie race and joint and sleeve the tubing with some hrew - again these are only the uppers and do not see the abuse/ rash that lowers see...
aparke4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2012, 12:08 PM   #22
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The one guy I know is really nice and everything, but he is absolutely convinced that you need a bushing on one end for road driving. It was one of those situations when you would love to argue because you know you'll win, but decide not to, just to keep everything from getting hostile. I guess when I get my arms this winter (possibly), the jeep will do the talking.

Unread 09-19-2012, 12:28 PM   #23
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak17 View Post
The one guy I know is really nice and everything, but he is absolutely convinced that you need a bushing on one end for road driving. It was one of those situations when you would love to argue because you know you'll win, but decide not to, just to keep everything from getting hostile. I guess when I get my arms this winter (possibly), the jeep will do the talking.
Yes it will. That guy is uninformed and isn't considering that when you have JJ's on both ends, you have bushings on both ends.
Unread 09-19-2012, 12:55 PM   #24
Boundless
2005 LJ Wrangler 

JJ all the way, once you've driven on a set you will never look at another joint the same ever.

Still lovin my ride
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) 6cyl, 4spd auto, dana 30/44 3.73, rear trac-loc, hard top, BFG KM2 35/12.5 x 15 on rattle can black stock Ravine wheels & 1.5" spacers, trimmed flares, budget PA 1" BL & RC 1" MML, Ford Explorer roof rack, Hella e-code headlight housings, 55 watt DDM HID Hi/Lo 6000k, EBC Yellow Stuff front brake pads, Platinum P4 battery, Rusty's 3" 305s front and 303s rear springs, RC rear track bar bracket and Hella 500FFs with DDM's 55watt 6000k H3 HIDs on windshield hinge brackets. Currie's front upper and lower control arms. Hummm whats next? Building a Dana HP30 with 4.88 and ? locker
http://www.canddautocenter.com/
Boundless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2012, 01:55 PM   #25
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Wish more around here ran them, I want to see how they ride.

Unread 09-19-2012, 09:42 PM   #26
rkymtn05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Wish more around here ran them, I want to see how they ride.
Where in the Lehigh valley are you from? I'm currently running 18 Johnny joints and couldn't be happier. I can wait to get rid of my rc 2.2s for some better shocks but that's a whole other story. A buddy of mine has an 04 tj with currie control arms too. I know what you mean about the skepticism, I'm still trying to convince a friend of a friend that went to wyotech for chassis fab that the Johnny joint is better than a hiem joint on control arms. The guy is an amazing fabricator but he thinks that there's no difference from the currie arms to these arms that another buddy of mine bought from this company called rocky road or something. Im in the same boat as you with not wanting to get into a heated argument, it's just not worth it.
Unread 09-20-2012, 12:45 AM   #27
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymtn05 View Post
Where in the Lehigh valley are you from? I'm currently running 18 Johnny joints and couldn't be happier. I can wait to get rid of my rc 2.2s for some better shocks but that's a whole other story. A buddy of mine has an 04 tj with currie control arms too. I know what you mean about the skepticism, I'm still trying to convince a friend of a friend that went to wyotech for chassis fab that the Johnny joint is better than a hiem joint on control arms. The guy is an amazing fabricator but he thinks that there's no difference from the currie arms to these arms that another buddy of mine bought from this company called rocky road or something. Im in the same boat as you with not wanting to get into a heated argument, it's just not worth it.
I live right by Beltzville lake, but go to school in Lock Haven right now. Now that you bring up heims... I''m assuming JJ's in steering are superior as well? Are they much better as a steering joint as they are a CA joint compared to heims?

Unread 09-20-2012, 05:36 AM   #28
rkymtn05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I live right by Beltzville lake, but go to school in Lock Haven right now. Now that you bring up heims... I''m assuming JJ's in steering are superior as well? Are they much better as a steering joint as they are a CA joint compared to heims?
As far as the track bar, I believe that the johnny joint is the way to go. Maybe Imped can answer you a little better when it comes to drag link and tie rod about what is best. I don't have much experience to base an opinion on because I'm still running the stock drag link with a ZJ tie rod. If you want to see how the Johnny joint performs, maybe we can meet up at Rausch creek some time and go wheelin together. I was just talking the other day to a friend about how we haven't gone in a while. We also go to a nice area near Centralia/mt Carmel pa.
Unread 09-20-2012, 05:59 AM   #29
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't run JJ's as steering ends on the drag link or tie rod.....I've never even seen that done, probably because the smallest JJ's would be too big. TRE's or rod ends are better in that application.
Unread 09-20-2012, 06:06 AM   #30
TroubleNEO
2006 LJ Wrangler 

RC Long Arms here. They were installed less than a year ago, and have not been wheeled hard regularly. I have their "new" redesigned X-Flex type bushing that they released because the old ones are having problems.

Well guess what, mine are already hosed in under a year. I got a free set of rebuild kits from them, but you better believe JJ's will be going in those arms sooner rather than later.

Tags
rc , rough country , xflex , currie , adjustable control arm

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.