RC X-factor 2.5 lift control arm bushing retainers popping out - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > RC X-factor 2.5 lift control arm bushing retainers popping out

RCV Axles at CCORPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-28-2013, 05:50 AM   #1
VAJeep87
2006 LJ Wrangler 

RC X-factor 2.5 lift control arm bushing retainers popping out

Recently had this lift installed at a shop in my town. I have already had one bushing come out of the barrel. It looks like the screwed in retaining ring is bending then popping out if the barrel. They fixed it for free the first time, but now it has happened again and I'm not sure if it's the product or the install. It is only happening on the lower control arms where they attach to the chassis. Thanks in advance.

image-3585595492.jpg

VAJeep87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 06:42 AM   #2
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Replace the joint with a johnny joint. The problem is the design of the x flex joint. It uses a preload style joint with a screw in side plate and a set screw. Many have tried this method and all have had less than impressive results.

The currie johnny joint, or metalcloak joint will be direct replacements and both are quality.
rda616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 07:21 AM   #3
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Call RC directly, it could be bad install or bad product. You could be dealing wiht a job that isn't assembling them right. RC has good customer service. See if they will send you some. I wouldn't pay for them. If RC won't take care of you I would switch to the JJ joints. I have had the RC adj. arms with the new joints for maybe 5 months or so and no problems. If they fail within 3 years i will replace them with JJ. If they last longer than 3 years and RC replace them for free I will keep with them.

A big issue with the RC is they do not come assembled. It seems the problems that pop up with the joints new arms are due to improper assembly. I believe RC has a video showing how they should be installed.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 09:00 AM   #4
VAJeep87
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks. Turns out they had a bad run of compression rings that were too thin. The shop that installed it said they have some thicker ones on the way. Should be 3-5 days. The shop is taking good care of me. This was actually the second occurrence. The first time they said it was a fluke but now there was no denying a problem. 3 out of 4 either popped out or bent and about to pop out. There gunna replace them today with some spares he had laying around then out the better ones in when he gets them.
Unread 10-28-2013, 09:48 AM   #5
VAJeep87
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The guy just called and said he has JJ's that will fit sitting on the shelf. If it's broke, upgrade.
Unread 10-28-2013, 10:05 AM   #6
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAJeep87 View Post
The guy just called and said he has JJ's that will fit sitting on the shelf. If it's broke, upgrade.
If you can wait for the RCs I would wait. If the new ones fail then I would get the JJs.

Unread 10-28-2013, 10:25 AM   #7
afusco1222
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Hell no!? Why wait!? You can have quality joints probably for cheap and you will never need to replace them, why deal with the RC joints failing in the future when you can have a proven joint?
afusco1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 10:39 AM   #8
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by afusco1222 View Post
Hell no!? Why wait!? You can have quality joints probably for cheap and you will never need to replace them, why deal with the RC joints failing in the future when you can have a proven joint?
Why would they fail in the future if the issue is fixed? If not you can still get the JJs. How much do they want for the JJs? If the deal is good enough than I would consider it.

JJs are a good product, if you want to spend your money this way then JJ would be the way to go.

It isn't going cost you money to go with the RC. Even if you go with the JJ I would still get the RC replaced under warranty.

Unread 10-28-2013, 11:00 AM   #9
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45º 36.663' W 123º 20.935', Oregon
I recommend going with the JJ's...
1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 11:53 AM   #10
VAJeep87
2006 LJ Wrangler 

They want $250 for 4 JJ's installed, plus $70 for an alignment.
Unread 10-28-2013, 11:57 AM   #11
VAJeep87
2006 LJ Wrangler 

They are used parts. Might hold off though and see if the new compression rings work. Kinda don't have the money to spend on that at the moment.
Unread 10-28-2013, 12:02 PM   #12
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
They want $250 for 4 JJ's installed, plus $70 for an alignment.
They seem to run close to 50 bucks each, and 50 bucks for the install. The install would be easy if you are just replacing joints but 50 bucks I don’t see as an unfair price, but no great deal.

I would go for the free replacement RCs. I have had mine for months and no issues, so have many others. If they fail again get the JJs. But if you have a few hundred buckets burning a hole in your pocket this is as good of a way to spend it as any.

There is no reason you would need to pay for another alignment. All you need to do is measure the arms. Take them off set them to the same length. Do one arm at time.

Unread 10-28-2013, 12:03 PM   #13
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
They are used parts. Might hold off though and see if the new compression rings work. Kinda don't have the money to spend on that at the moment.
Then hell no, that is too much for used!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.