RC 3.25in lift questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > RC 3.25in lift questions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 12-09-2013, 06:59 PM   #1
Ncoffaro
1997 TJ Wrangler 

RC 3.25in lift questions

Ok so I am planning on ordering Rough Country's 3.25in lift kit for my 97 tj. I really dont do too much off-roading with my tj but when i do it will pretty much only be mud holes so im not going to be pounding on the suspension...but anyways i have a few questions/opinions that i would like to hear your responses on.

1) The lift comes with shocks but i have two options, i can get the Premium N2.0 or Performance 2.2's for $50 more. I think i am leaning more for the 2.0's because i hear they ride better and softer and since my jeep is mainly used as my daily driver i believe they will be better suited for me. Any opinions on these shocks!?

2) Since i will not be hitting the off-road too much i dont think bump stop extensions are a top priority for me, since i am on a low budget for now. Although i can add them down the road do you think i need them right away?

3) Relocating the front track bar. does it have to be done right away? i have heard a few people say to hold off on it and see how the suspension "settles" after a little while and then drill a hole and relocate the track bar as needed? An adjustable front track bar is out of the question for now b/c of my budget.

4) Also for now the tires i have are 235/75R15 and they still have a good 75-80% tread left so i really cant justify spending $1000 on new 33" tires but again..eventually i will. My point is, do you think the tires i have now are too small and will the look stupid after the lift??

5) and finally my frame has surface rust all over so i think i am going to cover it with Chassis Saver but im not sure if i should do it before or after my lift? If i do it before i am afraid i will cover some bolts that i may not be able to remove after they are cover in chassis saver. so i think i am just going to do that after my lift. Is that a good decision?

Sorry for such a long post but i really just want to clear up a bunch of the "iffy" questions i have with the experts...thanks in advance!

Ncoffaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 07:04 PM   #2
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncoffaro View Post
2) Since i will not be hitting the off-road too much i dont think bump stop extensions are a top priority for me, since i am on a low budget for now. Although i can add them down the road do you think i need them right away?
how expensive do you think proper bumpstop extensions are?

now ask yourself which is less expensive - bumpstop extensions, blown shocks (requires new shocks) or damaged shock brackets (replacement brackets & labor to weld them on)?

proper bumpstop extensions run less than $30 total, new shocks run about $80 per side, and new brackets welded on will probably be around $100-200.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 07:14 PM   #3
Ncoffaro
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Very true..glad I got to ask the experts instead of just going ahead with this! How big do you think the bump stops should be? or is that something i have to measure before i buy everything?
Unread 12-09-2013, 07:22 PM   #4
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Very true..glad I got to ask the experts instead of just going ahead with this! How big do you think the bump stops should be? or is that something i have to measure before i buy everything?
it's going to depend on a lot of factors. lots of tech links in my sig on the subject. you can buy stuff beforehand, but you need to measure & set everything up on your vehicle - which easiest to do during the installation process...there's a suspension lessons link in my sig on how to do all that....

FWIW, many will tell you to stay clear of RC....search around the forum, you'll see mountains of opinions.
Unread 12-09-2013, 07:29 PM   #5
Ncoffaro
1997 TJ Wrangler 

what lift would you recommend? I am thinking of this lift because of the price and i am on a pretty tight budget and i have seen a bunch of good reviews on this particular lift
Unread 12-09-2013, 07:42 PM   #6
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
what lift would you recommend? I am thinking of this lift because of the price and i am on a pretty tight budget and i have seen a bunch of good reviews on this particular lift
well, not having a lift isn't hurting you. but if you get something that sucks, and you end up having to replace & add components later, then you're out a whole bunch more money. basically, you can buy quality and cry once...or you can buy cheap and cry on multiple occasions until you do get the quality...

make sure you do your homework, because you need to realize what's included in any given "kit" is not all you need. Most kits are maybe 50%-80% complete, depending what level, brand, etc we're talking about. You'll need a few hundred bucks more in parts if you want the vehicle to drive & perform well...and that's on the street.

Don't focus on "kits". Research what components are affected by changing suspension geometry, then build your own "kit" based on the individual components. Brands to look at include BDS, Old Man Emu, Savvy Off-Road, Currie, Clayton Off-Road, Brown Dog, etc. If you have fabrication skills & a welder, you can save a lot of money in certain places. You may have to save a little bit longer, but you'll be a lot happier with the end result.
Unread 12-09-2013, 07:43 PM   #7
edinct
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncoffaro
Zone lifts seem to be the best bang for the buck if you ask people around here. Do yourself a favor and PM Ryan from Extreme Terrain. I'm sure he'll take care of you can give you a good deal.
edinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 07:46 PM   #8
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

If you go rc get the 3.75" kit and add a 1" mml. And yes get the 2.0 shocks I wouldn't take the 2.2 shocks if they were given to me. The rc lift works best on a light weight rig, so if you plan on adding a winch and armor, or have a hard top go with the zone 4.25" kit if you are on a budget.

Also Craigslist is a good place to find rims and tires on a budget. I see 33" tires and rims with 75% tread in the $500. range all of the time.
rda616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 07:50 PM   #9
DoughBro
Tonka Tuff

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I've had this lift for a while now
1) I can't remember which shocks so sorry on that one
2) I've done some moderate wheeling with no bump stops at all and haven't had a problem you can add them later if you have a spring compressor
3) I relocated because the front axle was obviously out of line, I drilled the hole but it wallowed out after about a year and a half so I got a JKS adjustable
4) I ran 31's for a long time and it looked kinda small but not terribly bad, 33's look perfect
5) I cant think of anything important you might paint over but I'm not 100% on that
My front coils have been saggy since I put it on I'll try to find some pics for you

This is the 3.25 on 31's the day I put the lift on you can already see sag
jeep31.jpg

DoughBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 07:51 PM   #10
DoughBro
Tonka Tuff

2003 TJ Wrangler 

33s on it 1.5 years later
jeep33.jpg  
DoughBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 07:54 PM   #11
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughBro View Post
33s on it 1.5 years later
Looks low in the front. Not surprising since RC front springs are known for that.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 07:55 PM   #12
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
2) I've done some moderate wheeling with no bump stops at all and haven't had a problem you can add them later if you have a spring compressor
3) I relocated because the front axle was obviously out of line, I drilled the hole but it wallowed out after about a year and a half so I got a JKS adjustable
4) I ran 31's for a long time and it looked kinda small but not terribly bad, 33's look perfect
5) I cant think of anything important you might paint over but I'm not 100% on that
My front coils have been saggy since I put it on I'll try to find some pics for you

You do realize the tj had an inch of rake from the factory right? And the reason you didn't need bump stop extension was because you were bottoming out your shocks and didn't realize it.
Unread 12-09-2013, 07:57 PM   #13
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006_Sport View Post

Looks low in the front. Not surprising since RC front springs are known for that.
Looks like it has added weight to the front which makes the low spring rate springs compress.
Unread 12-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #14
Ncoffaro
1997 TJ Wrangler 

What makes a lift "good" or "bad"? I have done a lot of research over the past few weeks on lifts and such and i believe that this one is pretty complete...but then again i am new to this and could be wrong LOL. This is the specific lift if any of you are interested - http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-sus...-kit-641c.html

What else would i need if i got this lift??
Unread 12-09-2013, 08:10 PM   #15
Ncoffaro
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Thanks man, this was pretty helpful! Im not too worried about my front sagging much since i dont have a winch as of right now. You have the rc 3.25 lift on this right?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.