RC 3.25 lift bumpstop extension for 35 tires? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > RC 3.25 lift bumpstop extension for 35 tires?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 07-17-2010, 01:26 AM   #1
hoekstbj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

RC 3.25 lift bumpstop extension for 35 tires?

A month ago I installed a RC 3.25 lift and 1.25 body lift.

Currently the Jeep has 1.5 inch bumpstop extensions with 33 tires and trimmed fender flares. No rubbing

I currently have a set of 35 inch all terrain tires I run on the street but rub when flexing. I would like to run 35 inch tires on the trail. How much bumpstop would be needed? I realize I will sacrifice uptravel but want to keep the jeep low enough for off camber trails.

2004 TJ Rubicon - 3.25 RC Suspension Lift 1.25 JKS Body Lift JKS Bar Pin Eliminators, 35x12.5x15 KM2's on black steel wheels, D44 axles, Independent Locker Mod, 8,000 lb Ramsey Winch, Safari Snorkel, home-made rear bumper that holds air for Viair 450c on board air system
hoekstbj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2010, 10:34 AM   #2
Piratejonh
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I would consider two things Tires and shocks.
You will need to set up your jeep with the 35's and disconnected if you do so. Jack up one end of the axle until it contacts the fender. This may be difficult and dangerous, so think first. Measure the distance between the bump stop and its pad You would need to extend the stop that much plus 1/2 an inch.
Also check the shock piston and make sure it hasn't bottomed out. If it has increase the bump extension lenght until it doesn't bottom out. Shocks are expensive!

Last edited by Piratejonh; 07-17-2010 at 11:06 AM..
Piratejonh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2010, 12:10 PM   #3
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I ran the same lift with 35's and ran 2" longer bumpstops with no rubbing.
TheBoogieman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2010, 12:16 PM   #4
emev0l
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Support your jeep by it's frame, remove your front springs, put a floor jack under your diff and raise it until your shocks bottom out or your tires make contact with the flairs whichever comes first.

Measure how far from your metal bumpstop cup to the pad on the axle. Do not measure from the bottom of the rubber bump stop because it will compress into the cup.

That is how much bump stop you need.

There are other ways to measure for bump stop but this is the most accurate.
1970 Cutlass 442 468CID TH400
1999 7.3 Powerstroke
emev0l is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2010, 10:11 PM   #5
hoekstbj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

thanks for the answers! If I have 1.5 extensions already can I add more at the extension (top) or will it need to be at the bottom (spring perch) ? I've heard hockey pucks work well
2004 TJ Rubicon - 3.25 RC Suspension Lift 1.25 JKS Body Lift JKS Bar Pin Eliminators, 35x12.5x15 KM2's on black steel wheels, D44 axles, Independent Locker Mod, 8,000 lb Ramsey Winch, Safari Snorkel, home-made rear bumper that holds air for Viair 450c on board air system
hoekstbj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2010, 10:11 AM   #6
emev0l
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoekstbj View Post
thanks for the answers! If I have 1.5 extensions already can I add more at the extension (top) or will it need to be at the bottom (spring perch) ? I've heard hockey pucks work well
If you add to much to the top the bump stop will hit the spring and be off center when it makes contact with the axle.

The best way to do it is to split it between the top and bottom, I've never used a hockey puck but a lot of people do and seem happy with it.
1970 Cutlass 442 468CID TH400
1999 7.3 Powerstroke
emev0l is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
rc , rough country , bumpstop , extension , 35 , tires , lift , suspension , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.