RC 2.5 vs BDS vs OME vs AEV - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > RC 2.5 vs BDS vs OME vs AEV

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-06-2010, 08:10 PM   #61
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikalCarbine View Post
After reading this I've been doing a bunch of research on uptravel, required bump stop heights and aftermarket trackbars. I found this post by CB3 which states for 3" +/- lift it is best to stay with the stock trackbar, even if it means relocating it. It can be found here

This at least addresses the trackbar issue I think, doing some reading on shocks now..
i have seen some nasty damage from drilling a new hole for the front track bar. look into the Currie adjustable front track bar for the 3" AEV springs. this is what Japete01 did and it doesnt hit the front diff. Japete01s build.

Unread 11-06-2010, 08:20 PM   #62
MikalCarbine
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I couldn't find anything in his build thread about his track bar not hitting his diff cover or if he is using 2" bump stop extensions or not
MikalCarbine is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2010, 09:37 PM   #63
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikalCarbine View Post
I couldn't find anything in his build thread about his track bar not hitting his diff cover or if he is using 2" bump stop extensions or not
let me assure you that having hands on experience with his TJ, his track bar does not hit...

hmm, actually i do think he has 2" pucks on top of his front axle. or at least he did when he bought it with the 6" springs.
Unread 11-06-2010, 10:33 PM   #64
Mike_Motorbike
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have 2-3/4" coil spacers in front and 2" in back with skyjacker 10" travel shocks for a 2-3" lift...

I only have to have 3/4" bumpstop extensions in the front giving me 2 extra inches of up travel at around 6" up travel....

I have 1" bumpstop extensions in the back ... I only got 1 extra inch of up-travel in the back I think it was 4" of up travel.

I'm running stock trackbars .... ( in-fact stock everything). Well I do have homemade disconnects ....

the rear is only off by about 1/4" (which looks like 1/2" ..... One tire sticks out 1/2" further than the other but you only need to move it 1/4" to center it)

I don't have my notes with me but I think the front is about the same...

I too am on the fence because I don't know what to do about the front trac bar.
But It really isn't that much and KNOWBODY seems to even notice even if I point it out...

Rough country sells a Rear Tracbar bracket for $17.

I don't know why I typed all this just to say I got 6" uptravel.

Oh I really like the Skyjacker Hydros ......

Here are my instal posts.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ho...-pics-1025457/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ho...hocks-1114872/
Unread 11-06-2010, 11:51 PM   #65
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Motorbike View Post
I have 2-3/4" coil spacers in front and 2" in back with skyjacker 10" travel shocks for a 2-3" lift...

I only have to have 3/4" bumpstop extensions in the front giving me 2 extra inches of up travel at around 6" up travel....

I have 1" bumpstop extensions in the back ... I only got 1 extra inch of up-travel in the back I think it was 4" of up travel.

I'm running stock trackbars .... ( in-fact stock everything). Well I do have homemade disconnects ....

the rear is only off by about 1/4" (which looks like 1/2" ..... One tire sticks out 1/2" further than the other but you only need to move it 1/4" to center it)

I don't have my notes with me but I think the front is about the same...

I too am on the fence because I don't know what to do about the front trac bar.
But It really isn't that much and KNOWBODY seems to even notice even if I point it out...

Rough country sells a Rear Tracbar bracket for $17.

I don't know why I typed all this just to say I got 6" uptravel.

Oh I really like the Skyjacker Hydros ......

Here are my instal posts.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ho...-pics-1025457/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ho...hocks-1114872/
hmmm ...
spacers NEVER give you extra up travel! they simply shift your existing coils/up travel further down or your jeep further up!
as far as I have learned you need for every inch spacer lift one inch of bump stop extension or you WILL overcompress the coils you have. Damage of the springs and sagging will be the consequence.

Regarding aftermarket track bars and why they do not hit in some set ups:
My conclusion still is that ALL those set ups use bump stop extensions around 2". Look at all the 4" lifts and 3" lifts which come complete or "comprehensive" with adjustable track bars. look at mudb8 thread!:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj...it-fit-738948/
He did an extensive research on that.

My ideal lift (coils and shocks) would preserve the gained up travel. Bump stops in my eyes should only keep the tires out of the fenders and protect the coils from overcompression (in case of spacers).

I am not saying spacers are bad per se. In some cases where a bump stop is NEEDED to keep the tire out of the fender you can add the same amount of spacer on top of the coil to regain the specified added uptravel of the coil. E.g. in case you need 1" BS to keep your 33" tire on a 2" susp. lift and 1" BL out of the fender you can add 0.75" spacer to regain (part of) the lost 1" uptravel of the 2" susp lift .
(I assume your shock can compress to that amount as well and you are using a stock trackbar, maybe mub8 modified )

conclusion : 3" and 4" suspension lifts does NOT automatically mean better suspension to that extent.
At the moment with this TB and shock situation we have right now a well researched and tuned hybrid lift (coils, small spacer, small BS, BL) seems to be the most balanced lift you can do.

BTW: even dpgoffroad is using 2" BS when the JKS TB is part of the lift ... so it clears the TB and the bigger tire as a side effect

My personal wish lift :
OME 2" HD with STOCK TB and 0.75" BS and 0.75" spacer upfront and 1.25" BL and 33" tires. I would love to try the NEW OME nitrocharger SPORT shocks which suppose to be firmer than the standard nitrochargers. Comparable to Bilsteins but with the right compressed length.

driveline vibrations?: add MML or(/and) [sye/CV + rear upper adj. CA]
some more flex?: JJ adj. CA's and AntiRock or adj. quick discos, adj. rear sway bar links.
want bigger tires than 33"? : upgrade brakes and steering, highline the fenders.
want even more belly clearance?: add a tummy tuck ... now the BL/MML and the eventual SYE/CV combo come in handy

and all with 2" more than stock uptravel with 9" travel shocks and no hassle with extended brake lines, adj. track bars and too much lift for not enough gain.
chmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2010, 06:40 AM   #66
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I went with OME HD springs due to having a winch and hardtop. I then added a front 3/4" spacer and I gained 3 3/4" lift in the front and 3 1/4" in the rear, which is great for my 32s. I also added adjustable rear uppers and an SYE/CV. Next on my list is to replace all of the lower control arms. And more...

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2010, 09:57 AM   #67
japete01
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Matt - I no longer have pucks on the springs, I took those off to level the jeep out a bit when we removed the Wench.

I'm obviously biased, but my jeep rides great and handles great. JakeAss and Misfit7 have seen this first hand.

What I really need is to build a HP D30 with a locker so I can be fully prepared for wheeling this spring!
japete01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2010, 11:31 AM   #68
Mike_Motorbike
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The first measure of a bumpstops importance is to keep the shocks from over compressing.....Saving the shock AND the shock mounts..

After that comes limiting wheel travel for larger tires.

I would do a 1"-1.25" BL before I cut down on suspension travel just to fit tires....

My shocks only required 3/4" in front and 1" in back netting me 2" extra inches of up travel in front an 1" in back.

The stock springs should be able to compress that much. the rear is only compressing 1" extra and the front is almost one half the rear spring length longer than the rear it should be fine.

And if its not who cares. What do you do with your stock springs when putting in a spring lift?? You toss them.. So if they sag so what...

I may put in lifted springs some day. I am reading about them now so if the day comes when I can afford them or I need them I will probly still run a spacer on the front to level out the ride a little.

Tags
rc , rough country , bds , ome , old man emu , aev , lift , suspension , lift kit , advice , comparison

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.