RC 2.5 vs BDS vs OME vs AEV - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > RC 2.5 vs BDS vs OME vs AEV

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 11-04-2010, 07:17 PM   #46
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

k

Unread 11-04-2010, 07:48 PM   #47
JeepnBlake
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikalCarbine View Post
Interesting, what other parts have you purchased for the lift other than the OME kit?
Eventually I'm shooting for all 8 Currie arms, their track bars as needed, rear CV, do something with the tcase skid, I'll run the Xenon 6" flats, bumpstops, 35s on 17s regear it down to 4.88s or 5.13s, a 241 2wd low conversion is in the works.

But unfortunately before all that glory can take place, I have to figure out what I'm going to do with my engine, constant P0304 codes, and it runs rough no matter what. I'll most likely just run it till it goes or something bad happens.

I have a couple of the items on the list, but it'll all get done at once.

With all this said, I'm waiting for few buddies locally to get their jeeps dialed in so I can see how the different combos handle. I'm on the fence between piecing together an AEV+shocks kit which would be their 3" springs and either OME shocks or Rancho adjustables, or getting the entire OME kit.

So we'll see.

Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/j...thread-985907/
Dad's Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/d...build-1474170/
OEM Fog Light Connectors, Conversions, and Extension Info:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/o...ngler-1008928/
JeepnBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2010, 08:04 PM   #48
viperbluelx
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I'm tempted to swap in some OME or Bilstein shocks just to see if the ride would be different than my 2.2's. I love the way my RC lift rides and handles, and it flexes great. I just hear so many complain about the ride I'd like to ride in one with different shocks just to see.
Unread 11-05-2010, 04:27 PM   #49
MikalCarbine
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I've narrowed it down to either the 3" BDS lift (despite the lack of literature/reviews I can't seem to find) and a home brewed AEV/OME Shock or AEV/Bilstein Shock combo.

To come to this conclusion I made a very thorough excel spreadsheet comparing the lifts, their prices and what is include/what would be required. I Also started pricing out the AEV brews. I uploaded it to google docs and it can be found here:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...3c&hl=en#gid=0

Let me know if you can't view it and I'll try to upload it eslewhere. I'll post the AEV lift components here too
Item Price
AEV Coils 360
OME N66L/N67L 332
Rear Trackbar Relocation 20
Front/Rear Bump Stop Extensions 100
T-Case Drop Bracket (Needed?) ?
T-Case Drop (Washers @ Local) 10
Rear Swaybar Links (WJ Front Links) ?
Front Swaybar Disconnects (Home-made
but are larger links required?) ?

This totals about $825 (could be cheaper if I skimped on certain things). With the Bilstein shocks this would be about $780. This all excludes a front adjustable trackbar and steering stabilizer but all of the other kits I saw didn't include one either and I wanted the price comparison to be equal.

What do you guys think? I'm tempted to go in the AEV direction front what I've been reading and it won't be that much different than getting the BDS kit EXCEPT I am not sure if shocks and other components come with bolts and what not. This could definitely add to the price.
MikalCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2010, 11:20 PM   #50
wl07
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by inglisleslie View Post
RC? does that stand for Rough Cushioning or rough car? they should rename their company to rough ride!
have had mine for 8 months now and no sagging, great road ride, and does awesome offroad. just because it isnt as much dollar wise as others doesnt mean it isnt a quality lift. buddy has same springs with Bilstein 5100 shocks and my RC shocks ride better and he says so also.
wl07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2010, 11:56 PM   #51
RYANR97
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have had the RC 2.5 lift, Rubicon Express 3.5", OME ZJ coils and now I have 3" AEV coils OME shocks, Currie arms and trackbar. My TJ rides great! I might try some Bilstein shocks.

Anyway the AEV coils, Currie arms and OME shocks are worth the money!
RYANR97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2010, 12:34 AM   #52
TheDragonfly
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have Aev coils, ome shocks, currie and rokmen arms, jks discos and tracbar. For what its worth, its a heck of a lot better than the worn out pro comp lift i use to have.
TheDragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2010, 08:16 AM   #53
MikalCarbine
2002 TJ Wrangler 

When you buy shocks alone do they come with the proper mounting hardware?
Unread 11-06-2010, 10:46 AM   #54
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Not usually, Heck most of em dont even come with boots!! Usually you have to reuse the hardware you take off
Unread 11-06-2010, 12:51 PM   #55
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricsGreen98Tj View Post
Not usually, Heck most of em dont even come with boots!! Usually you have to reuse the hardware you take off
Most of the time you don't want shock boots IMO. they trap mud, water and junk around the shafts and seals. I'v personally had a problem on another vehicle with the boot trapping moisture around the end of the shock and rusting through the shock body causing a leak.
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2010, 01:06 PM   #56
MikalCarbine
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I wonder if most of the hardware can be had at local stores? I'm leaning more towards the BDS kit because of this. I'm pretty sure I've made up my mind
Unread 11-06-2010, 04:42 PM   #57
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

ok ... 3" coils mean most likely adjustable trackbars front.
adjustable trackbars front mean extended bump stops 2" to clear diff cover.
(if not for long travel shock protection)

3" lift minus 2" bump stops mean 1" gained uptravel against stock ONLY.

how do you guys get into the range to take advantage of the progressiveness of the aev coils with the trackbars and shocks out there?

I have a real problem with the 3" coils ... which adjustable front trackbar and shocks to use to NOT bumpstop the uptravel gain away.

It seems to me that a 2" lift without the need of adj. track bar and with the right shocks plus 1.25" body lift preserves more uptravel than a 3" coil solution with all other necessary suspension mods thereafter.

it seems that the shock manufacturer have either the short shocks or shocks for 4" lift.

or am I completely wrong here ???
chmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2010, 06:04 PM   #58
MikalCarbine
2002 TJ Wrangler 

That's a great question, hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in
Unread 11-06-2010, 06:13 PM   #59
j_bydesign

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I went with the OME... with a BL... I also added a MML so I did not have to drop the trans case... I am very happy with the ride quality... I would buy it again

'04 TJ... '65 CJ5(sold :( )... 89' Int. Harvester Toter!
j_bydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2010, 07:13 PM   #60
MikalCarbine
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmo View Post
ok ... 3" coils mean most likely adjustable trackbars front.
adjustable trackbars front mean extended bump stops 2" to clear diff cover.
(if not for long travel shock protection)

3" lift minus 2" bump stops mean 1" gained uptravel against stock ONLY.

how do you guys get into the range to take advantage of the progressiveness of the aev coils with the trackbars and shocks out there?

I have a real problem with the 3" coils ... which adjustable front trackbar and shocks to use to NOT bumpstop the uptravel gain away.

It seems to me that a 2" lift without the need of adj. track bar and with the right shocks plus 1.25" body lift preserves more uptravel than a 3" coil solution with all other necessary suspension mods thereafter.

it seems that the shock manufacturer have either the short shocks or shocks for 4" lift.

or am I completely wrong here ???
After reading this I've been doing a bunch of research on uptravel, required bump stop heights and aftermarket trackbars. I found this post by CB3 which states for 3" +/- lift it is best to stay with the stock trackbar, even if it means relocating it. It can be found here

This at least addresses the trackbar issue I think, doing some reading on shocks now..

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.