RC 2.5 vs BDS vs OME vs AEV - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > RC 2.5 vs BDS vs OME vs AEV

Introducing MONSTALINER UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-01-2010, 12:11 AM   #1
JeepnBlake
2004 TJ Wrangler 

RC 2.5 vs BDS vs OME vs AEV

Ok here it is, I would very much like this to be a be all end all to the 3" or so lifts.

From trolling around over here these are my impressions of these lifts/coils

RC 2.5"
Jeep TJ Suspension Lift

They Say:

Front and rear progressive coil springs, transfer case spacers to maintain factory driveshaft angles, and front and rear Performance 2.2 shocks - setting a new standard in shock design.

Pros:
Inexpensive
Progressive springs
Kit or Coils only

Cons:
2.2 shocks leak
Rough ride

BDS 3" (I assume this isn't Black Diamond)
BDS Suspension Kit Details

They Say:

This kit comes with four new Pro-Ride coil springs capable of full coil bind. The box kit includes bump stop extensions, rear track bar relocation, rear sway bar links, front alignment cam bolts, and the ultimate front sway bar disconnects.

Pros:
More complete than RC 2.5
Better Ride than 2.5 supposedly

Cons:
Pricing

OME 2.5"
Old Man Emu for Jeeps Wrangler, Rubicon, Unlimited

They Say:

Lots and lots, click the link above.

Pros:
The gold standard in OEM or better ride.
Fairly complete kit.
Offered the option of the Budget Kit.

Cons:
Pricing

AEV 3" Coils
https://secure.aev-conversions.com/s...ct_Code=NTH210

They Say:

Nth Degree springs are designed the same way, even including the special benefit of a progressive-rate design: the more you load it, the stiffer it gets – keeping the frequency nearly constant. Because the relationship of the front springs to the rear is also critical to great ride and safe handling, Nth Degree springs are tuned and intended to be used together as matched F/R sets - we do not recommend they be combined with other makers' springs. As part of an Nth Degree suspension system or to replace your existing 'lift' springs, these will perform beautifully whether loaded or empty, both on-road and off.

Pros:
Supposedly very high quality

Cons:
Coils only

Zone Off-Road 3" (thanks to Wheelin98TJ)
http://zoneoffroad.com/product?ki=21&gr=-1

Pros:
Inexpensive
Available in a combo kit with a 1.25" body lift and a 1" MML
Nice riding shocks and coils (I am 99% certain they are the exact same as BDS)

Cons:
Fixed front sway bar links rather than disconnects

Notes:
3" kit comes with: Coils, shocks, sway bar links front and rear, rear track bar bracket, t-case drop, bumpstop extensions
Zone Off-road has common owners with BDS and they share many parts suppliers.

Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/j...thread-985907/
Dad's Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/d...build-1474170/
OEM Fog Light Connectors, Conversions, and Extension Info:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/o...ngler-1008928/

Last edited by JeepnBlake; 07-01-2010 at 08:11 PM..
JeepnBlake is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2010, 12:13 AM   #2
JeepnBlake
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Now, please discuss and critique as you feel necessary.

I'm trying to get a realistic comparison of these 4 to try and decide on one of them. If you have a story about the greatness or how terrible one of these was please post it below.

OEM Fog Light Connectors, Conversions, and Extension Info:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/o...ngler-1008928/
Unread 07-01-2010, 12:15 AM   #3
EugeneTheTJ
Tar Heel

2003 TJ Wrangler 

2.2 shocks=fail

I have them and cant wait to swap them out for some Bilstein 5100s
EugeneTheTJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2010, 12:30 AM   #4
03JeepX
2003 TJ Wrangler 

BDS 3 inch lift FTW!!!!

You will seriously not regret it a bit. What you see right after your lift is complete is what you will basically have. Unlike other lift kits where it will settle and sink, the BDS kit did little to none for me. I just installed a very hefty bumper and winch on the front and it has not sank much.

A shop near me did the 3 inch kit installed for like $1200 or something which isnt bad for how much it improves the ride quality over stock and the improved looks etc.
03JeepX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2010, 12:33 AM   #5
JeepnBlake
2004 TJ Wrangler 

That's the kind of stuff I want to hear, sagging, ride quality, kit completeness, anything else you might like to add.

Unread 07-01-2010, 12:33 AM   #6
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I only have the BDS 2 inch. But I've been in a Jeep with the OME kit and feel that the ride was too boaty in the OME Jeep compared to my Jeep equipped with BDS. The Jeep felt more sporty and responsive with the BDS. That was just my opinion on it though, the OME kit is still very tried and true and is a good kit.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2010, 06:19 AM   #7
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

As I have gotten older ride quality matters a lot more to me . With that said I went with an OME setup and its great . No jarring on road and great flex off road .
Unread 07-01-2010, 06:31 AM   #8
white305
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I am very pleased with my ome lift. I have the zj/lj springs and long travel shocks. The ride is great. I take my winch off when not on the trail due to it being my daily driver and I want to limit the weight that I drag around. With or without the winch I am pleased with the ride quality. As far as offroad flex it is fantastic. It took a while to pull the trigger for me and I made a great choice.
white305 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2010, 08:08 AM   #9
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I would throw the 3" Zone Off-Road lift in the mix too.

Pros:

- Inexpensive
- Available in a combo kit with a 1.25" body lift and a 1" MML
- Nice riding shocks and coils (I am 99% certain they are the exact same as BDS)

Cons:

- Fixed front sway bar links rather than disconnects

Notes:

- 3" kit comes with: Coils, shocks, sway bar links front and rear, rear track bar bracket, t-case drop, bumpstop extensions
- Zone Off-road has common owners with BDS and they share many parts suppliers.

Here is a link to the kit:

3" TJ Suspension System
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2010, 01:36 PM   #10
530ktm
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I have the OME set up and I love it. I went with the medium rate springs as I do not have a bunch of stuff up front or in the rear. Rides better than stock.
530ktm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2010, 03:06 PM   #11
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/my...-info-1059480/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/an...tj-lj-1011645/

Some good reading. Also, call Dirk at DPG Offroad. He will give you an OME perspective. Home Page

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2010, 03:49 PM   #12
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

hey Blake, i run the RC 2.5" kit on my 98. the springs are starting to sag, especially on my drivers side. i just got the 3" AEV springs a couple days ago along with OME N66L and N67L shocks. my buddy runs this setup and it rides and handles awesome, hence why i bought the same stuff.

i will be getting rid of my 2.5" shocks and springs if you know anyone that would take them off my hands in a few weeks. someone said the the RC 2.5" springs coupled with the OME shocks ride better than with the 2.2 shocks.

and BDS stands for Big D!ck's Suspension. also, they have a kick asss warrantee on their springs.

do you still have an AMC20 laying around by chance?
Unread 07-01-2010, 03:55 PM   #13
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Here's what I know from my experience:

The RC 2.5 components ride nice together--I still don't understand all the complaints of a rough ride.
The front RC springs sag. I wouldn't recommend them.
The rear RC springs work great and don't sag.
The front BDS 3" springs sit at 3" and don't sag. My Jeep is level with them up front and RC 2.5" springs in the rear.
The 2.2's ride very well with the above spring combination.
AEV 3" springs are nice and don't sit any higher than my 2.5"/3" springs. I just don't know if they are nice ENOUGH to justify the cost.
The AEV/Bilstein combo rides nice.

I've noticed a bigger difference in which sway bar and what tire pressure the Jeep is running over any change in springs and/or shocks.

For a 2.5-3" setup, I'd go BDS 3" springs/shocks and go with Currie for everything else. I like what I've seen from BDS and the value can't be beat IMO. I don't think anything can beat Currie when it comes to out of the box track bars, sway bars/links, control arms, etc. No reason to go anywhere else.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2010, 04:41 PM   #14
inglisleslie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

look around on ebay and c-list i got my full OME 2.5 kit new in boxes and original plastic bags unopened for $450 CASH. I am going to install it after the 4th just need to figureout a way to compress the spring. im thinking ratchet straps and go ghetto. or rent some spring compressors but i cant drive without my drivers license so it makes it hard to get out
inglisleslie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2010, 04:46 PM   #15
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by inglisleslie View Post
look around on ebay and c-list i got my full OME 2.5 kit new in boxes and original plastic bags unopened for $450 CASH. I am going to install it after the 4th just need to figureout a way to compress the spring. im thinking ratchet straps and go ghetto. or rent some spring compressors but i cant drive without my drivers license so it makes it hard to get out
You do not need to compress the springs.

Just have the shocks and the sway bar links unbolted from the axle when you are installing the springs.

You can push down on the axle and get the springs in pretty easily.

If they give you a little fight, its nothing a pry bar cannot handle.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
rc , rough country , bds , ome , old man emu , aev , lift , suspension , lift kit , advice , comparison

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.