Rattling Noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rattling Noise

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-05-2011, 08:01 PM   #1
Trendsetter75
2010 JK Wrangler 

Rattling Noise

I have a rattling noise at idle but when I engage the clutch pedal it goes away, then when I release the clutch pedal the rattling noise comes back. I went under the jeep and it sounds like its coming under the transfer case. The only two things I think it could be is throw out bearings on clutch is bad, or maybe I should change the transmission fluid. It has 33k miles and its a 6 speed manual with the NV

Unread 08-05-2011, 08:10 PM   #2
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The throwout bearing should have lasted alot longer than 33K. All manual transmissions will make some noise after awhile. I wouldn't worry about it unless the clutch is not disengaging and you are grinding gears.
Unread 08-05-2011, 08:14 PM   #3
campman
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have got the same noise going on. Mine is also a 2005 with only 40k on it. How do you find out if any recalls are out there?
campman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2011, 08:21 PM   #4
Trendsetter75
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuder View Post
The throwout bearing should have lasted alot longer than 33K. All manual transmissions will make some noise after awhile. I wouldn't worry about it unless the clutch is not disengaging and you are grinding gears.
I just grind in reverse but someone said before I go into reverse gear I should throw it into 4th gear first then reverse.
Unread 08-06-2011, 05:37 AM   #5
90FORDF150
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I have a 2006 LJ with 62k miles I just bought used from a dealer. I hear the same noise at idle in neutral. I've read elsewhere it's a common issue on the 2005-06 manuals. Still makes me nervous.
90FORDF150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2011, 05:41 AM   #6
JCJeep97
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have the same issue (though mine is a 2000). There was a TSB back in 2000 about some kind of bearing making the noise. . . . maybe yours is doing the same thing. Its not anything that has to be fixed, just a little annoying at times. Turn up the radio
JCJeep97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2011, 05:44 AM   #7
JCJeep97
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendsetter75 View Post
I just grind in reverse. . . .
If you have your BL on, the shifter may be hitting the console. I had to move my console back 3/4 inch cause I grinded in 2nd and Rev due to the shifter hitting the corners of the console.
JCJeep97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2011, 07:32 AM   #8
Trendsetter75
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJeep97 View Post
If you have your BL on, the shifter may be hitting the console. I had to move my console back 3/4 inch cause I grinded in 2nd and Rev due to the shifter hitting the corners of the console.
No I don't have the BL on yet.
Unread 08-06-2011, 07:34 AM   #9
Trendsetter75
2010 JK Wrangler 

Can anyone else tell me what this noise is. I just can't see how this would be normal. Automobiles can be like a human body when something is aching or hurting theres a solution to the problem.
Unread 08-06-2011, 07:39 AM   #10
herb101
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendsetter75 View Post
I have a rattling noise at idle but when I engage the clutch pedal it goes away, then when I release the clutch pedal the rattling noise comes back. I went under the jeep and it sounds like its coming under the transfer case. The only two things I think it could be is throw out bearings on clutch is bad, or maybe I should change the transmission fluid. It has 33k miles and its a 6 speed manual with the NV
Subscribed - 05 6 speed with 47K miles and I get the same thing. On mine it feels almost like a knock against the bottom of the tub at my feet. Mine is currently all stock except wheel and tires. The knock feels like the t-case shift linkage issue after the BL, but it's in the wrong place for that. I'm crawling under there this weekend to look for exhaust mounts or heat shield or tranny mount issues. If I see any external cause under there, I'll post it.

Herb
herb101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2011, 08:10 AM   #11
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Have you checked the shock mounts? Have someone rock and bounce the Jeep as you go over everything.
Unread 08-06-2011, 08:31 AM   #12
PeeWeeHerman
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have it on mine as well. I have to think its the throw out bearing. When it gets too annoying to put up with ill deal with it. Some noises are just inherent to certain vehicles.
PeeWeeHerman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2011, 10:23 AM   #13
toyfarm
2005 TJ Wrangler 

if it goes away when you push the clutch in....the only possibility is throw out bearing! Yes this is common (not normal) It just means the brg is either a little wore or dry! Very annoying yes....!
toyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2011, 11:29 AM   #14
TJcin
1997 TJ Wrangler 

This may be a long shot but I had a rattling under my TJ and the Converter honeycomb had come apart internally causing a significant rattle at idle. I could literally rock the vehicle back and forth when it was parked and it would rattle. Your cat should not be coming apart at that low of milage but try getting up under your skid plate and tapping with a screwdriver to see if you can duplicate
TJcin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2011, 12:10 PM   #15
herb101
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Found my rattle, but it's not likely to help anyone else. I got under there and pulled and tugged on everything and the only 'knocks' I could generate were from the rotational slop in the front DS and the E-brake clevis where the front and rear cable join. I started the Jeep, put in in neutral and got under it again and heard/felt a faint mechanical knock on the oil pan and trans, but not on the body. As I was pulling myself out from under, I was face-to-face with my culprit....Rock slider frame mount!

See the photo below and the rust evidence of bracket to body contact, basically short cutting the rubber body bushing and allowing direct frame to body contact.

any clue who makes these sliders? her are a side shot and the mount detail shot.

There are two mounts like this per bar and only the front are making contact, on the outside of the frame.

Herb
herb101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.