Rattle is driving me CRAZY - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rattle is driving me CRAZY

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 11-27-2012, 02:36 PM   #1
DerekXJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Rattle is driving me CRAZY

So, Yes.......like many of you guys ive had pretty much every piece of my TJ apart, except for the main part of the dash. for the past 2 months, ive had this TERRIBLE rattle from behind the dash somewhere. its on the passenger side, around the airbag / glove box. ive taken the glove box completely out, the center bezel off and put my hand in around everywhere to see if i can stop it.

It happens when the trucks under load ( third gear going uphill ), or even sometimes on take off and in 2nd. its driving me crazy and i cant find it. Is there a metal cover over the airbag maybe? Anyone had anything like this before?

Thanks

Unread 11-27-2012, 02:39 PM   #2
Zombi
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekXJ View Post
Anyone had anything like this before?
Yep, I have, and still do. It sounds kinda light, right? like something small but solid banging around? My rig is pretty loud anyway so it doesn't bother me too much but it's there.
Let me know if you figure it out.
Zombi's are in fact very unpleasant to be around, they smell, and bite--also, they eat babies.
Zombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2012, 03:11 PM   #3
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I had a similar situation and I was in the dash inside the hood on the firewall ,under the floor and nothing . Then came summer and I switched to the metal half doors and didn't hear it again until I put the full doors back on again . Don't know what part of the door is doing it but I swore it was behind the glove box , now I know different.
Gary2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2012, 04:06 PM   #4
incredibull
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I had quite a few rattles on my TJ when I got it, and it was mostly in like-new shape. Majority of them were actually loose sections of wiring harness, connectors, and vacuum lines under the hood, several in the dash. Most of them just needed to be secured with zip tie.

In fact, one of them was similar to what you've got. The battery temperature sensor connector under the hood was smacking into the firewall when driving. From inside the cab it was LOUD, and was coming from around the glovebox. Secured it, problem gone.

Unfortunately, locating rattles is almost always a job of smacking things, shaking things around, just to find out what makes noise when you're actually moving.
incredibull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2012, 04:27 PM   #5
DerekXJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the responses guys.

My tj is quite loud, and rides just like every jeep should, With plenty of noises,
vibes, and clanks and clunks but this one is just so annoying, no matter how loud i got the radio up, i still find myself playing with the clutch just to try and get it to shutup. lol. The search continues'
Unread 11-27-2012, 04:42 PM   #6
wwch99tj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I've looked for my rattle on the passenger side for 2 years now.
I notice it more when the hardtop is on but just can't find it.
I notice it around 3k rpm in any gear.
wwch99tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2012, 04:45 PM   #7
DerekXJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwch99tj
I've looked for my rattle on the passenger side for 2 years now.
I notice it more when the hardtop is on but just can't find it.
I notice it around 3k rpm in any gear.
Its when the motor is laboring right?
This is really driving me nuts. Sounds kinda like hard plastic on hard plastic. other times it sounds like metal on plastic. I will rip my dashboard off piece by piece until i find it!!
Unread 11-27-2012, 05:08 PM   #8
wwch99tj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yes
I've thought about pulling my whole dash apart. I have pulled most of the easy to pull pieces off, even had the speakers out and it still rattled. I have no clue what it could be
wwch99tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2012, 09:17 PM   #9
lolo75racing
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Try driving with a passenger and have him or her try to pin point where the rattle is coming from.
lolo75racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2012, 09:38 PM   #10
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have a vibration/rattle in the dash that happens under a load at 2k rpm. If you have the stock exhaust it puts out a really deep bass at certain RPM's and it vibrates the whole Jeep.

Don't get me started on the damn passenger seat rattle...

-Jack
BamaJeepman21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2012, 07:24 PM   #11
texashoghunter
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I had a rattle for the first year. It turned out to be caused by a set of aftermarket speakers on the front that did not quite fit. The PO did a sloppy install.
texashoghunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.