Raptor U-Pol question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Raptor U-Pol question

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 03-15-2010, 07:52 PM   #1
Goobersbro

Raptor U-Pol question

Okay so this week on the inside of my tub I am going to start grinding spots that are rusty and replacing sections of floor board and what not that need it....After doing this I'm going to have a descent amount of bare metal in the tub. Can I just spray I single coat maybe two coats of Rustoleum black primer on it and then here in like two weeks when I Raptor it just scratch it down and follow the raptor instructions.....or do I need more paint or is it better to have someting beyond a primer. Like should I primer then shoot a coat of paint over it then raptor?

Sorry for all the questions just young, learning, and having fun while at it

I would post this up elsewhere but the yj guys arn't all that aquainted with this stuff and the paint and body section isn't either and I know several of you guys have raptored your tubs...

Thanks guys

Happy Wheeling,
Jon

Unread 03-15-2010, 08:02 PM   #2
Ben in NC
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I would not paint it before you spray in the U-Pol. Just do the work you need to do then scuff up the painted areas real good and then wipe it down a few time with mineral spirits.

One hint-find exactly where your heel (for the accelerator) sits and give that area of the floorboard a few more passes. That is the only area my U-POL has worn away. It took darn near 2 years to do it though.

Awesome stuff, you will love the way it looks. It is my favorite $100ish mod yet.
Ben in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 08:02 PM   #3
BK'sTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i didn't even prime mine when i put it on. just scuffed up the stock paint and sprayed over it. turned out great. just be aware that it's gonna smell for a little while. i left mine with the top off in the shop for about 3 days after i sprayed it and i still had to roll with the windows down for a little while afterward because the smell will get to you after a while.

"I don't believe in repeat offenders, I believe in dead offenders." Ted Nugent
BK'sTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 08:12 PM   #4
J03_TJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Never used the stuff but am interested in it for my truck. See this on the following link, not sure if it is the same exact stuff??

"For best results bare metal should be treated with a suitable etch primer e.g. U-POL ACID#8 (UP0776/
UP0741)"

http://www.u-pol.com/datasheets/tds/RLB-TDS-US_1.pdf
J03_TJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 08:33 PM   #5
LMoscar45
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yup, an etching primer which you can probably buy form any local body shop for 3-5 bucks. Or maybe some por 15 if you have a bit laying around (that stuff is always good to have). I had a buddy blast his tub and use that military primer before spraying it.
LMoscar45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 08:34 PM   #6
Goobersbro

[QUOTE=Ben in NC;9092109

One hint-find exactly where your heel (for the accelerator) sits and give that area of the floorboard a few more passes. That is the only area my U-POL has worn away. It took darn near 2 years to do it though.

Awesome stuff, you will love the way it looks. It is my favorite $100ish mod yet.[/QUOTE]

Well for that problem I actually just got some floor mats today from my grandma for my 18th birthday this weekend. There the ones from quadratec there sweet so I won't need to worry about working a hole through but thanks for the heads up.

Also I see that you guys say you didn't even paint but did you guys have bare metal??? I'm going to have a descent amount of bare metal and can it just go straight on the bare metal???

As for the smell this is how it sits rite now and will sit like this for a week or better after the liner is applied

Unread 03-15-2010, 08:47 PM   #7
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

If you have bare metal get some self etching primer and spray a coat or so in the tub. TBH, i would do the whole tub in the etching stuff...give the raptor something to grab on to since you have some bare metal.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.