ramsey winch problem please help... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > ramsey winch problem please help...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineTruc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Toxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake Line

Unread 07-20-2013, 04:42 PM   #1
thonyg523
1998 TJ Wrangler 

ramsey winch problem please help...

so i used my ramsey REP 8000e series winch this past weekend and it was working fine until the last time i was going to re-spool the line nothing would happen. it clicks whether i press "in" or "out" so i know the selanoids are working.

i took the battery lines off the winch motor and put jumper cables straight from the jeep battery to the winch motor and nothing happend. i did this to by-pass the selanoids and see if the motors stiil good. i was told that by doing this that the motor should re-spool itself if it is directly jumped to the jeep battery.

Do i need a new motor? it makes no noise at all when i did this process of testing the winch.

any suggestions??

if i need a new motor where can i find one? i just started looking for a new motor and cant find one for the REP 8000e series.

thanks guys...

thonyg523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #2
dedYJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Here is a link for troubleshooting. Summit has the motor if needed.
http://www.offroaders.com/tech/winch...leshooting.htm
dedYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
AtomicDog
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Remove the motor from the winch and take the rear cap off. Look for a broken brush wire or connection to the brushes. While you're at it look for signs of water damage such as rust. There's not much to a motor.
AtomicDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2013, 11:14 PM   #4
thonyg523
1998 TJ Wrangler 

im gonna take it apart tomorrow and check that out, thanks so much for the help!
Unread 07-21-2013, 05:20 PM   #5
thonyg523
1998 TJ Wrangler 

took the motor out and found this, im not sure what its called exactly but the four black metal things that are attached to the wiring ( the each have springs underneath)-two of them are seized in and warn very badly compared to the other two, you can see that in the photo. im planning on buying a new motor.

can i purchase any motor or do i have to get the exact motor that came with the winch? i heard any motor can work but im not sure if thats true.

sorry for my lack of knowledge on winches...
motor2.jpg  
motor.jpg

Unread 07-25-2013, 10:08 AM   #6
AtomicDog
2004 TJ Wrangler 

You've had water in the motor. The two black things are brushes. Pull them out and sand them until they're smooth. If they're stuck try pushing them down to break them loose. Same for the other two. They also need to float freely without binding in their sockets. The spring below them keeps them in contact with the commutator, which also needs to be sanded with a numerically high grit paper to remove the oxidation. You should see a bright metal finish when you're done. You want the surfaces to be as clean and smooth as possible. Spray everything off with CRC electrical cleaner or similar to remove the sanding and brush residue. Apply a little grease to the bearings and silicone where the housing meets the ends of the motor. You should be good to go after that.
Unread 07-25-2013, 10:12 AM   #7
AtomicDog
2004 TJ Wrangler 

P.S. You can remove the brushes from the cap by removing the nut on the other side. Be careful not to break the spot weld where the wire is connected to the bolt. Sorry I didn't see and reply to this thread sooner.
Unread 07-25-2013, 10:24 AM   #8
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

If nothihng else, you should be able to get a new bursh holder assembly with brushes.

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 09:59 AM   #9
thonyg523
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i actually just installed a new motor. they dont make the REP 8000e ramsey motors anymore so my replacement motor now is the REP 8.5e. it has the same gear ratio and everthing except now i have an extra 500lbs more than i used too which is good of course. plus it was only 90$.

The winch works great now, its like brand new...

thanks for the help though guys i really appreciate it!
newwinchmotor.jpg

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.