Rampage Tire Carrier Bumper VS. Smittybilt - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 04-26-2011, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
ImBruno
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Rampage Tire Carrier Bumper VS. Smittybilt

I have been searching for a affordable (less than $400) rear bumper / tire carrier bumper. I have a 33" tires on my 2006 Wrangler. I like getting my Wrangler dirty, but I'm not going on the Rubicon trail (yet), so I don't need a crazy custom setup.

I have read all the reviews I could locate, but it just made me more unsure of which to pick (so many strong positive and negative reviews all in the same thread).

I'm mostly considering the Rampage and Smittybilt bumper. Any feedback on which is better? Is there a better one I am missing in my budget range?

Thanks,

CJ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-26-2011, 08:42 PM
blackouttj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have the smittybilt tire carrier and am honestly considering swapping it out for the rampage one. The smittybilt is cheap and that's the quality you get. I've had it for about a year and it rattles alot and it wobbled the threads out from my Jeep bouncing around so now the whole bumper is loose. Junk. And the coating is flaking off and rusting. Stay away from their products. They're just cheap knock offs of other companies products.

2001 Sahara, mildly built, sold
2006 impact orange Rubicon, totaled
2001 sport constantly changing
post #3 of 8 Old 04-26-2011, 08:47 PM
SolidBrass
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Do any search with my name and Rampage in it.

I've bought it, modified it to actually fit, been angered by it's rattles, ground down sanded and painted the rusty powder coat (1 year old) and generally HATED ON IT every time someone considers buying one. Better bumpers are about 10-20% more and worth it. Some like the LOD bumper. It's beefy! Some like a more simple set up. But for the love of god don't repeat my mistake.
Attached Thumbnails
0406111554.jpg   0406111554a.jpg  
post #4 of 8 Old 04-26-2011, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
ImBruno
2006 TJ Wrangler 

thanks for the feedback, after hearing what you have to say, i'm glad i haven't bought either! other than the LOD bumper, any other good choices i should consider? maybe upping my budget to $500?

the LOD looks pretty good, is it solid? any rattles?
post #5 of 8 Old 04-26-2011, 08:54 PM
blackouttj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidBrass View Post
Do any search with my name and Rampage in it.

I've bought it, modified it to actually fit, been angered by it's rattles, ground down sanded and painted the rusty powder coat (1 year old) and generally HATED ON IT every time someone considers buying one. Better bumpers are about 10-20% more and worth it. Some like the LOD bumper. It's beefy! Some like a more simple set up. But for the love of god don't repeat my mistake.
They do make a nice soft top though. I'll give'em that

2001 Sahara, mildly built, sold
2006 impact orange Rubicon, totaled
2001 sport constantly changing
post #6 of 8 Old 04-26-2011, 09:02 PM
SolidBrass
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBruno View Post
thanks for the feedback, after hearing what you have to say, i'm glad i haven't bought either! other than the LOD bumper, any other good choices i should consider? maybe upping my budget to $500?

the LOD looks pretty good, is it solid? any rattles?
I can't say I'm up to date on brand. What is important? Clearance (rampage sags low), Size of pivot bolt.

All the weight is on that pivot so make sure it's big and well supported.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackouttj View Post
They do make a nice soft top though. I'll give'em that
Good. Cause bumpers only would put them out of Biz
post #7 of 8 Old 04-26-2011, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
ImBruno
2006 TJ Wrangler 

thanks for the feedback. do you know how much a fabrication shop would usually charge for a decent bumper / tire carrier?
post #8 of 8 Old 04-26-2011, 09:15 PM
SolidBrass
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Tags
rampage , rear bumper , smittybilt , tire carrier

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.