Rampage Bowless/Fastback top review for the TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rampage Bowless/Fastback top review for the TJ

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 05-18-2010, 12:24 AM   #1
Achillius
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Rampage Bowless/Fastback top review for the TJ

I've never been one to write reviews, but since I received a lot of input when I was asking about replacement tops I'd like to let anyone interested in this bowless top that I'm really impressed so far with the way it works and looks. My factory soft top was coming apart and it was time to replace it. For a little over $500 I picked up the rampage bowless top as a replacement. It installed very easily with a bestop windshield header, factory door surrounds and the tail gate bar. What I really like about this top is that you get to lose the metal bow all together creating a more slimline unique look for your TJ. The tinted windows are extra large and look pretty sharp. Cosmetically I feel like it's taken years of my TJ's age. One of my concerns was water pooling due to lack of support from the bow. However, there are a couple flexible support rods that run length wise and a pull strap that keeps the top tight. I live in Florida and have had some serious rain since the install with no problems. Things I'm a little disappointed with include the back window which doesn't fit as tightly as I'd like. It sort of bends creating a double vision image while looking through the rear view mirror. Also, even though it fits with my sound bar, it appears to me that it was designed without the sound bar in mind. The sleeve built in to the bikini section to store the zip out widow panels in is a good idea, but for those with a sound bar, it's at least a tighter fit. Overall, I'm very glad I made the decision to go with this top. If anyone has any questions I'd be happy to answer them.

Bill

Achillius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2010, 07:40 PM   #2
geiman
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Does it give much "flapping" noise at highway speeds?
geiman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2010, 07:59 PM   #3
Achillius
2002 TJ Wrangler 

No, not really. I was concerned about that, but so far it works real well.

However, I haven only tried it with windows rolled down, not with doors and windows zipped out. Should be good though
Achillius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2010, 10:05 AM   #4
flyairam
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Show me as another satisfied Rampage Bowless Softtop owner. It fits well, is versatile, and I'll probably not ever install my hardtop again.

Randy
2001 TJ, 4.0 Liter, 3.73s, Rough Country 2.5 Suspension Lift, JKS 1.25 BL, JKS 1" MML, Advanced Adapters SYE/Tom Woods CV Driveshaft, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Track Bars, JKS Control Arms, Aussie Locker Front (Dana 30), Dana 44 Rear w/Trac-loc, Rough Country Rock Sliders, Rampage Fastback Softtop, BFG A/T 33x10.50x15, Stock Canyon Wheels.
flyairam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2012, 02:41 PM   #5
Justinboots

Help with my install - windshield frame

Got my Rampage top as well and very very happy. I do have a question though I'm hoping someone can help with...my 2000 TJ has a rubber gasket on top of the windshield frame...assuming for the factory hardtop it came with originally, but no longer has. When I install the Rampage header bar, I have gaps at each end of the windshield between the bar and rubber factory gasket and that is catching air and moisture. Was I supposed to try and remove that factory rubber? I see there is a gray seal tape on the bottom of the Rampage header bar, but not sure I can actually get that rubber off windshield frame since it is glued at each end of the frame at a minimum. Hoping someone else has run into this.
Justinboots is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2013, 10:12 AM   #6
mrrichard33
2005 TJ Wrangler 

"When I install the Rampage header bar, I have gaps at each end of the windshield between the bar and rubber factory gasket and that is catching air and moisture. Was I supposed to try and remove that factory rubber? I see there is a gray seal tape on the bottom of the Rampage header bar, but not sure I can actually get that rubber off windshield frame since it is glued at each end of the frame at a minimum."

hey was just wondering if you have any water issues in the gaps?
did you ever find out about removing the rubber seal or not?

Cheers
mrrichard33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 06:15 AM   #7
Justinboots

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrichard33 View Post
"When I install the Rampage header bar, I have gaps at each end of the windshield between the bar and rubber factory gasket and that is catching air and moisture. Was I supposed to try and remove that factory rubber? I see there is a gray seal tape on the bottom of the Rampage header bar, but not sure I can actually get that rubber off windshield frame since it is glued at each end of the frame at a minimum."

hey was just wondering if you have any water issues in the gaps?
did you ever find out about removing the rubber seal or not?

Cheers
You leave the rubber seal intact. I talked to Rampage and they said I needed to twist the bracket forward more as I tightened it. I was not successful so I jsut used black RTV in the gaps...not noticeable and no leaks.
Justinboots is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 07:12 AM   #8
99_TJ_Wyoming
Web Wheeler
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I've had my Rampage bowless top for about 3 years now and I still love it, I rarely use it as a top only runner, usually too cold and when its warm I have a mesh top.
Anyway, after all this time it's still tight, still quieter than my old framed soft top by leaps and bounds, you can have a normal conversation in the Jeep at highway speed
with the Rampage top, I never could with the old top. the only wear I've had is about 3/4" of zipper on the back window, right side, window side of the zipper is trying to
tear, but ever since it started I just zip it just past the tear first then the other side and it hasnt progressed in months. All concidered it was one of the best purchases
I ever made and one of the longest lasting. The only downside is the windows will get scratched up a bit if you use the window pouch, I always roll them up and stow them
either in my tow vehicle of in the garage, still they get a little scratched as time goes on.
99_TJ_Wyoming is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2013, 05:17 PM   #9
RedRooster
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Does anyone know if a drill in header work with a Rampage Bowless top?
RedRooster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2013, 06:48 PM   #10
99_TJ_Wyoming
Web Wheeler
1999 TJ Wrangler 

as long as it has a header channel I would guess it would work. As long as it looks like this -

99_TJ_Wyoming is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.