Ram Air For FREE? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ram Air For FREE?

Huge Soft top SaleRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 02-28-2006, 08:17 PM   #1
adp5025

Ram Air For FREE?

Ok guys I was messing around with the stock intake today, checking the filter and such. When looking at the horn of the stock intake, i noticed with enough force you could move the horn to any angle. i pushed it clockwise (from the front view) so it was pointing in the direction of the fan. The engine fan forces the air with a good bit of freash air into the area of the horn.

Also does anyone know if there are negitive affects of doing this, I havent drove with the new direction of the horn but i will be driving 50 miles tommorrow, so i will let you guys know if i see any changes in performace. Most likey it will stay the same Im not sure.

I dont have my cam with me, so i could not take any pictures

Basicly to sum it up just turn the horn of the intake to any angle u want insteed of the 90 deg that it was at. I placed it at 350 deg which points to the engine fan.

[COLOR="Blue"][B][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Penn State University - Engineering[/FONT][/B][/COLOR]
adp5025 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2006, 08:26 PM   #2
M1Shooter

Why would you want to force hot air into your intake? Any positive effects from forced air will be negated by it's temp.
M1Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2006, 08:30 PM   #3
aussie stu
1998 TJ Wrangler 

the cool freah air hitting the radatior isn't so cool or freash when it comes out the other side.
[SIZE="1"][B]Black[/B] 98 TJ / 4.5" Coils / 1" BL + MML / 4.56 / 35's Silverstones MT-117 on 16 X 8's / D44 & ARB Airlocker / D30 & lockright / Rocklights / wind sheild IPF's / Custom WARN rear tyre carrier / extended brake lines / Custom Triangulated 4 link long arm / Front adj. panard (no rear) / rear storage draw system / OBA / AA SYE / Bestop duster, windjammer, bikini combo / Bushwackers flares / UHF / TBS / Wilderness Rack / 3" stainless steel snorkel / T-Max 9000 6HP winch[/SIZE]
aussie stu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2006, 08:31 PM   #4
adp5025

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1Shooter
Why would you want to force hot air into your intake? Any positive effects from forced air will be negated by it's temp.
Yeah i thought about that just now

Also just thought about another thing, what if i cut a hole directly underneat of the horn (270 deg) and place the horn under the front left wheel well, so it sucks up air from out side the cars engine compartment
[COLOR="Blue"][B][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Penn State University - Engineering[/FONT][/B][/COLOR]
adp5025 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2006, 08:24 AM   #5
Jeepin' Rock Cl
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Ever see how much mud tires kick up into the fenders? Do you want that in your airbox?
Jeepin' Rock Cl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2006, 09:18 AM   #6
mdot

Quote:
Originally Posted by adp5025
Yeah i thought about that just now

Also just thought about another thing, what if i cut a hole directly underneat of the horn (270 deg) and place the horn under the front left wheel well, so it sucks up air from out side the cars engine compartment

It's called a "cold air intake". Look for kits online. But the gains are debated and marginal even at best. (On our jeeps that is...other vehicals have other results)
mdot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2006, 09:53 AM   #7
RockRunner85
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin' Rock Cl
Ever see how much mud tires kick up into the fenders? Do you want that in your airbox?
Or water for that matter if you do any stream crossings.

RE 3.5 SuperFlex & Front Trackbar / JKS 1.25" BL & MML / 35x12.5 MTRs on 15x8 AR-23s / Currie Anti-Rock / Jeeperman Bumpers / Rokmen Sliders / York OBA / Harbor Freight 8k Winch
RockRunner85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2006, 10:04 AM   #8
Milhouse

From what I understand the reason the horn is faced in that direction is so that the hood helps protect it from getting water/mud into the air box. By moving/drilling the hold you run the risk of sucking up water into the engine and creating a whole bunch of problems...
Milhouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2006, 10:14 AM   #9
Muddeprived

You will gain very little with the ram-air effect. I have a custom 3" snorkel that pops out of the hood and i run a 90 degree pvc that faces forward on the highway. I cannot notice any difference in power, high or low rpms. My buddy's yj has a custom 3" snorkel just like the arb and has the same 90 degree pvc angle on top, facing forward. He too didn't notice any gains. We both have the 4 cyl.
Flux Capacitor Heat Machine
Muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.