radio shuts off while driving - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > radio shuts off while driving

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 07-24-2009, 07:12 PM   #1
incagoldjeep

radio shuts off while driving

i have the factory cd player and sometimes when im driving and listening to music the music stops and the lights for the cd player turn off so i pulled over turned off the jeep and turned it back on and the cd player is working again except it didnt start off from where it stopped it was like the cd player was still playing but it just turned off idk??? anyone have any suggestions?

incagoldjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2009, 07:16 PM   #2
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Loose ground strap maybe between head and body on the rear of radio?Does the radio lite remain lit when this happens?
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2009, 08:03 PM   #3
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

this happened to me all the time with my 98. whenever i hit the turn signal it would turn the radio off, then would come on again. the ground strap on the back was solid, but bad. so i had to run a ground wire out to my engine bay on the firewall, then to the negative terminal on the battery. havent had a problem since.

on a side note, it would send my battery gauge to 14 in the red. weird.
Unread 07-24-2009, 08:08 PM   #4
armymedic

How much weight do you have on the key ring. Try this start the jeep, turn on the radio with the jeep running pull out on the key slightly if the radio shuts off switch is getting loose. I only run the ignition key on the ring and never have the problem but if i pull on the key it will shut off the radio.
armymedic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2009, 08:15 PM   #5
F9K9
Semper Fi!

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armymedic View Post
How much weight do you have on the key ring. Try this start the jeep, turn on the radio with the jeep running pull out on the key slightly if the radio shuts off switch is getting loose. I only run the ignition key on the ring and never have the problem but if i pull on the key it will shut off the radio.
Yep. a worn key will do this and much more. Jiggle it and see if, it comes back to life then, pay the stealershio to recut a key(s) by your VIN. Solved my radio and fuel guage acting up.

'03 Rubicon w/a few changes.
F9K9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2009, 09:28 PM   #6
incagoldjeep

thanks ill try that now
Unread 07-24-2009, 09:32 PM   #7
incagoldjeep

ok the key comes out a little bit and the radio turns off. so how much would it cost to make a new key from the dealership? also my key doesnt need to be programed so do i have to go to the dealership or can i just go to the locksmith?
Unread 07-24-2009, 09:39 PM   #8
WahooCreek
2003 TJ Wrangler 

If it is the black key, go to a locksmith, hardware store or any other place that makes keys.
WahooCreek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2009, 09:52 PM   #9
incagoldjeep

yea it is a black key. how much would it cost? a rough price range?
Unread 07-24-2009, 10:15 PM   #10
JMayer
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Just a couple bucks to cut a key, like any other really. It's the gray Sentry keys that are a pain if you don't have a pair of them to program the new one.
JMayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.