Radiator stop-leak in heater core? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Radiator stop-leak in heater core?

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 11-27-2005, 12:15 PM   #1
Achped
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Radiator stop-leak in heater core?

Okay, I really, really, really need heat. It's not totally unbearable, but it sucks.

However, I don't want to pay $500~ for a shop to replace the heater core, and I definitely don't want to do it myself, interiors and me = no good. Besides, in 2 months it'll be in the 90s again, so it's really a useless endevour.

So I was thinking, is there any way I could use a radiator stop leak in my heater core? I've heard that stuff can mess up radiators, so I'd just put like 2 bottles into the upper heater core hose, let it chill there for a while, then fill it up with water, wait a few hours, then flush it all out and let it sit overnight and "dry" in hopes that it will fix the leak?

Yay, nay?

Achped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2005, 12:44 PM   #2
doublins
1998 TJ Wrangler 

It is a safe bet that if you did that, yes it would fix the leak, however, I can assure you that you will have little or no heat, because your heater core will be so clogged with gunk that you will not get good coolant flow through it, and poor heat transfer.

-C

My Magnum V8 Build Thread:
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-magnum-tj-project-whoops-my-stroker-wiped-its-cam-bearings-1516649/[/url]
doublins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2005, 12:59 PM   #3
Achped
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Okay....

Leak + zero heat < No leak + little heat.

Thanks
Unread 11-27-2005, 02:11 PM   #4
Achped
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Alright, I used the stop-leak, and it stopped the leak...

But heat is still a negative.

Now I noticed my coolant temp never reaches 210. Even with AC on, idling, in the Florida heat.

It stays at about 200-205. Even drove it around at 4000 rpms, didn't move. Also, my upper radiator hose never gets pressurized, and my heater core hoses aren't even getting warm (neither of them). They were "warm" before I did the stop-leak, but now they're almost cooler than the outside air.

What's going on
Unread 11-27-2005, 02:18 PM   #5
FmrVette

2008 XK Commander 

Thermostat? Assume you've verified coolant level and mixture.

"Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night - be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels.” - Frank Sinatra

"When the last Blackhawk helicopter goes to the boneyard, it will be on a sling under a Huey." - Every Huey pilot that lived through it.

'95 YJ, '00 XJ, '06 TJ, (Current:) '08 XK
FmrVette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2005, 02:27 PM   #6
Achped
1999 TJ Wrangler 

T-stat's supposed to be 195? If that's the case, it should be normal at that temperature right?

Edit: The upper radiator hose gets hot as crap, just not pressurized.

I'm assuming it's not normal to be able to drive 120 miles, go to a gas station, pop the hood, and still be able to squeeze your upper radiator hose?
Unread 11-27-2005, 03:23 PM   #7
Achped
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Are my threads that boring, or do you people just not like me...it seems like every time i post or make a thread, it automatically dies.
Unread 11-27-2005, 03:42 PM   #8
Blackbart

I would check the thermostat, and then have it completly back-flushed. You can back flush it when your thermostat is out by hooking a hose up to the line going into the thermostat housing. This will get all of the crap out of the block and should get it out of the heater core as well. Otherwise, get a prestone back-flush kit, it makes it really easy to do. BTW, do you use coolant or just water in your system?
Blackbart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.