Radiator hose leak issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Radiator hose leak issue

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-24-2014, 04:52 AM   #1
Bomgart1
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Radiator hose leak issue

Had a radiator leak and it appeared to be the lower radiator hose. So I replaced the hose and installed new clamps as well. It still leaks though... I have tightened the clamp as tight as I can get it and it is still leaking (appears to be from the hose, where the hose connects to the water pump). The strange part is, it only leaks when cooled down. When I drive it, it doesn't leak. Park it in the garage and watch it for 15 minutes, nothing. Go out in the garage in the morning, huge puddle. Not sure what else to do. 97 TJ, 4.0

Bomgart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2014, 06:53 AM   #2
threeb
Web Wheeler

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Are you positive it's not the water pump?
LJ Owners Group member #431.
threeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2014, 06:54 AM   #3
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Sometimes mineral deposits build up on the metal neck of the pump. When the hose fits over it, it can and will leak. Pull the hose back off and inspect the neck and clean off any material that might have built up on it.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2014, 07:23 AM   #4
Bomgart1
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeb View Post
Are you positive it's not the water pump?
97.3% sure it's not the pump! possibly a cracked neck (2.7%)?
Unread 07-24-2014, 07:25 AM   #5
Bomgart1
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post
Sometimes mineral deposits build up on the metal neck of the pump. When the hose fits over it, it can and will leak. Pull the hose back off and inspect the neck and clean off any material that might have built up on it.
I will try that this evening when I get home. I'm thinking my only other option is to replace the water pump ($35 Napa)
Unread 07-24-2014, 07:32 AM   #6
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomgart1 View Post
I will try that this evening when I get home. I'm thinking my only other option is to replace the water pump ($35 Napa)
I would not advise buying a pump from them. Quality is not as good as OEM. Yes, OEM does cost more, but at least you won't have to change it out every several months because it started leaking.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.