radiator exploded - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > radiator exploded

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!

Unread 07-27-2010, 10:06 PM   #1
khill8469
2005 TJ Wrangler 

radiator exploded

So my jeep was parked and running all of a sudden i heard pop and steam comming from the antifreeze was comming out. i ran to the jeep and shut it off and let it cool off i check the oil and no antifreeze was in the oil then i saw the top of the radidiator blew apart at the 90 degree bend. about 12 inches. the antifreeze overflow was never boiling. now im not sure if my motor is any good. the radiator is a month old. what would cause this. i can get pictures tomorrow night.

khill8469 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2010, 10:12 PM   #2
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

How is the rubber on the Radiator cap? If it's swelled out it will act like a cork and wont release pressure which will blow up the radiator. A stock radiator cap is 18psi.......Thats alot of pressure for the plastic tanks to hold back. I see no reason to use more than 13psi caps myself.

Did the manufacturer forget to drill the vent hole where the overflow hose goes?
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2010, 10:22 PM   #3
khill8469
2005 TJ Wrangler 

i put a new cap on when i did the radiator a month ago. and i think the the drill vent is fine. so i dont know what would of casused this. if my motor died i wonder if i can get the place where i got the radiator from to cover it through their insurance.
Unread 07-28-2010, 05:00 AM   #4
blubaru2002
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I don't think your motor is going to just die.

You most likely had a bunch of air introduced into your coolant system when you replaced your radiator. Did you burp the air out of the coolant system properly after you installed the radiator and new cap?

There are a few threads on here about this.
blubaru2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2010, 03:15 PM   #5
khill8469
2005 TJ Wrangler 

its been running fine for 6 weeks without any trouble. then all off a sudden bang. now the stupid place said i need the recipt to get a new radiator and i cant find it.
Unread 07-28-2010, 03:44 PM   #6
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

maybe your thermostat is stuck closed? maybe you got some crud build up in there and it is clogging the thermostat?
Unread 07-28-2010, 03:49 PM   #7
hatfield44
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by khill8469 View Post
now the stupid place said i need the recipt to get a new radiator and i cant find it.
A file cabinet can be your best friend
Unread 07-28-2010, 03:52 PM   #8
wtroger
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a defective radiator or radiator cap. Seen it before both ways. Even if for some reason the engine did get hot it should have just trip the rad cap not split the radiator.
wtroger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2010, 04:10 PM   #9
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatfield44 View Post
A file cabinet can be your best friend
I agree.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
radiator

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.