JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Questions about Half Door and Full Door Locking Mechanisms... (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/questions-about-half-door-full-door-locking-mechanisms-525128/)

atticus_ar 02-25-2008 08:23 PM

Questions about Half Door and Full Door Locking Mechanisms...

I'm thinking of trading doors with someone, and I was wondering if anyone knows if the locking mechanism from a full door can be exchanged with the locking mechanism from a half door in order to avoid having to have the doors rekeyed? Are they interchangable? Also, if so, does anyone know how difficult this is to accomplish?

DevEmp 02-25-2008 08:35 PM

Pull the interior panel off the door, find the lock and assoicated rod attached to it, remove the orange or purple plastic holder piece, remove the rod, pull the clip holding the lock in place, remove the lock. I took my locks for my new (to me) half doors to a lock smith and had them re-keyed to match the rest of my LJ, and that's just about how I did it. It took more time to get the interior panels off than anything else.

atticus_ar 02-25-2008 09:10 PM

thanks for the info, but still wondering, do the lock mechanisms interchange between half and full doors and, can they be swapped to avoid having to rekey at a locksmith...

Ronnie4283 02-25-2008 09:12 PM

Same mechanism I believe, just different control rods.

djt283 02-25-2008 09:16 PM

You should be able to switch them between doors. You'd have to find someone willing to go through the trouble of pulling their doors apart for you though. Unless you switch your lock cylinders or get the new ones re-keyed, you'll end up with two different keys. Could be a little annoying unless you never lock your doors.

CRAWLING 98 02-25-2008 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djt283 (Post 4866393)
You should be able to switch them between doors.

:agree::agree::agree:

They are the same lock types... it only the doors and mechanism rods.

atticus_ar 02-25-2008 09:35 PM

Okay, awesome, I've got a trade going, and we were both wondering if we could swap our locks and doors so we could use our own keys to open the doors...sounds like we're good! Thank you all for the info!

CRAWLING 98 02-25-2008 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atticus_ar (Post 4866493)
Okay, awesome, I've got a trade going, and we were both wondering if we could swap our locks and doors so we could use our own keys to open the doors...sounds like we're good! Thank you all for the info!

Again...YES :2thumbsup: you can.

JeepCommandoja 12-04-2009 01:26 PM

NO the half door locks do NOT swap directly over. I just did this last night and the half door mechanism is just slightly smaller than the full doors. I had to stack the clips that holds the mech. I just the one from the half door and the one from the full door and its still twists a little.

Sorry to dig up an old thread but it had incorrect info. and when your trying to be a lurker and just use search this is for the better.

If your thinking about switching from half doors to full doors DO IT! There is a night and day difference with noise and cabin heat. I highly recommend it if you have to take your half doors on the freeway.

The time now is 11:35 PM.